Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Carroll Still Struggling ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikes4ever

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember on draft day i was so happy because you guys picked carrol and not gamble because i had never heard of him and i thought gamble would be good
a friend of mine was bitchin for the next week(packer fan)
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.rotoworld.com

Ahmad Carroll is struggling to adjust to defensive coordinator Jim Bates' new defense.
The Packers are getting discouraged at Carroll's slow progress. Joey Thomas is starting to play more with the first team defense. Jun. 7 - 4:27 pm et
Source: Packers.com

I watched Joey T in college every game, I'm from MSU, so it's great news for me and Bobcat's fans!

What do u boys think?
hauschild

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, I like his size, but he was pretty absent last year. Personally, I don't think he's any better than Carroll.

I'm still calling Nick Collins to push for the job, whether initially in training camp or througout the season.

Let's let the chips fall where they may, shall we???
stchamp98

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.rotoworld.com

Another Day, another chewing out of Packers cornerback Ahmad Carroll by the Green Bay coaching staff.
Carroll has a problem making too much contact with receivers, whether it's holding or after the catch in summer workouts. Carroll is in danger of losing his starting job to Joey Thomas. Jun. 8 - 9:42 am et
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Can you say dog house?
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully he can step up. I think Carrol has great speed and athletic skill and could be very good. I don't want Thomas to start. I think that he reminds me a bit of Hawthorne. Maybe it would be a good idea to sign Taylor...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rushpacker_56 wrote:
Hopefully he can step up. I think Carrol has great speed and athletic skill and could be very good. I don't want Thomas to start. I think that he reminds me a bit of Hawthorne. Maybe it would be a good idea to sign Taylor...

Watched Thomas every game for MSU and while he can be a bit cocky, he's very good.

IMO, he would be a better start than Carroll.

You guys need to sign someone at that spot.
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if we need to sign anybody, really. Our secondary depth will probably look like this.

FS
Nick Collins
Earl Little

SS
Arturo Freeman
Marviel Underwood

CB
Al Harris
Ahmad Carrol
Joey Thomas
Mike Hawkins
Patrick Dendy

I know that their is a lot of youth at corner, but that might turn out to be a good thing. Also, this depth is just a guess. I think that the only secure starter in our secondary is Harris and probably Freeman. All other spots are up for grabs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rushpacker_56 wrote:
I don't know if we need to sign anybody, really. Our secondary depth will probably look like this.

FS
Nick Collins
Earl Little

SS
Arturo Freeman
Marviel Underwood

CB
Al Harris
Ahmad Carrol
Joey Thomas
Mike Hawkins
Patrick Dendy

I know that their is a lot of youth at corner, but that might turn out to be a good thing. Also, this depth is just a guess. I think that the only secure starter in our secondary is Harris and probably Freeman. All other spots are up for grabs.

No offense, but besides Harris, that is a who's who list of bad d-backs.
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are wrong. All of the safeties could be very good. The corners are not the greatest, but Hawkins could be a good find. Do you even know who he is?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way Collins starts at safety, at least initially. If he were Thomas Davis, yeah, maybe.

The thing is, I haven't heard squat about Collins. That may be a good thing, right?

To me, if Collins is really as good as advertised covering off the line, it's a no-brainer. The second CB position is in horrible shape compared to safety, so why not see what Collins can do? I think it's a mistake to pigeon-hole a guy who is equally adept playing corner or safety, just because some consider him a safety.

I think I'm gonna cruise up there mid-summer and catch a few practices. That's the only sure-fire way to see who the frontrunners of position battles will be.
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why is it you guys parade nick collins around as this savior for our secondary, he's our starter at free safety you say, and then turn around and defend ahmad carroll's shotty play by saying he got thrown in there as a rookie. i've seen other rookies around the league play outstanding at cornerback (case in point dunta robinson of houston, and chris gamble of carolina)
sounds pretty hypocritical to me.
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
stchamp98

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rushpacker_56 wrote:
You are wrong. All of the safeties could be very good. The corners are not the greatest, but Hawkins could be a good find. Do you even know who he is?

No offense or anything, but if he's behind Carroll AND Thomas, I'll never know who he is, cause he just won't make it.
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike McKenzie came in as a fourth round pick and started.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hauschild wrote:
No way Collins starts at safety, at least initially. If he were Thomas Davis, yeah, maybe.

The thing is, I haven't heard squat about Collins. That may be a good thing, right?

To me, if Collins is really as good as advertised covering off the line, it's a no-brainer. The second CB position is in horrible shape compared to safety, so why not see what Collins can do? I think it's a mistake to pigeon-hole a guy who is equally adept playing corner or safety, just because some consider him a safety.

I think I'm gonna cruise up there mid-summer and catch a few practices. That's the only sure-fire way to see who the frontrunners of position battles will be.

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jun05/331907.asp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
why is it you guys parade nick collins around as this savior for our secondary, he's our starter at free safety you say, and then turn around and defend ahmad carroll's shotty play by saying he got thrown in there as a rookie. i've seen other rookies around the league play outstanding at cornerback (case in point dunta robinson of houston, and chris gamble of carolina)
sounds pretty hypocritical to me

No one is saying that Nick is the anwser to our secondary problem but he is going to make a impact. It is differant with Carroll he was not drafted to start Dunta Robinson and Chris Gamble were. Carroll is younger and needed a year to learn but was thrown in there and look what happened.

~Mozilla on the sig~

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: