Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Carroll Still Struggling ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hauschild

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rush,

Thanks for the link to the Collins article.

After reading the press, I may have to back down off my call of Collins to start at CB. If this dude is anywhere near Donovan Darius, then he will start at safety immediately.

The coaches also talked about the fact Collins "could step in and play CB in a pinch" - not exactly a glowing recommendation for his starting at corner.

Kiwi, it looks like you might be right on this one afterall. I'm disappointed because we need an able corner much more than safety at this point. I was hoping Collins would have been the savior.
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rushpacker_56 wrote:
Mike McKenzie came in as a fourth round pick and started.

So was Tony Beckham.
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KcKenzie was good, however.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, but Hawkins?

What I'm getting at is just cause one 4th round pick is good, doesn't mean every other one will be.

Have a hard time believing anyone behind Caroll and Thomas on a depth chart is gonna be awesome.

Just my opinion.
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying he will be! Think about it! I'm not stupid. Just because I think that Hawkins has something doesn't mean I think just because McKenzie was good all 4th round corners will be. Have you read about Hawkins at all? He was the top recruit out of high school, but left college to play Arena Ball. He was also very good in college, a first round type player. He domianted at the Arena level and the Pack stole him in round 5.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rush,

Agreed with everything you said. However, he is a head case whether you like it or not.

Most of these types of guys never work out. Let's hope the fresh Green Bay air works its magic!
mgcc1949

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike McKenzie was a 3rd round pick.

Collins has shown coverage skills and the "fill-in at CB in a pinch" states that he was drafted as Safety but could help out at corner.

Jim Bates' defense doesn't differentiate between Strong or Free Safety. The Best coverage guys will be the ones starting. With more NFL teams playing 3 or 4 receiver sets, what's to prevent Collins as "Free" safety from not covering the 2nd or 3rd WR?
stchamp98

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man, I didn't call you stupid and I'm not trying to pick a fight.

I'm know Hawkins has talent, I've seen him play a few Arena Game(he was pretty good, but he damn sure didn't dominate, got burned a few good times), but I don't think he'll be a good NFL starter.

If he's really as good as you say, then why isn't he up there as a candidate to start?

The packers.com website has him "vying" for a roster spot.

Not trying to pick a fight, but your secondary is in disarray right now. Hopefully Bates puts it together so Favre can go out a winner.
mgcc1949

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than Harris, who isn't a candidate to start?
tiner3682

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrol should be the poster boy for why the 40 is a poor indicator of talent. There is no doubt that the guy is athletic and fast as heck. Being a former track guy I love speed, but not when it is the only thing a football player has. Carrol is too short to battle the big recievers in the NFC North and he tries to use his speed to compensate for a lack of coverage skills. Warning to Titans fans...Pac Man Jones does the same thing but with better coverage skills to begin with. Carrol never should have been a first round pick...the Pack easily could have gotten him in the 2nd or 3rd round. At that pick status I don't think any of us would be as disapointed with him, but as a former first rounder he just isn't living up to that status. We had to wait 3 years for JWalk to live up to his first round WR billing...if we have to do that with Carrol then I think we have outlived our Favre years and defense will be the least of our worries.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: