Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Joey Thomas Leading ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1-A
1-AA
D-2
D-3
NAIA
Junior College

NAIA is actually better than D-3 because D-3 isn't allowed to give athletic scholarships.

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.football-links.com/links/College/
here is a link for listings for d-1a, d-1aa, d-2 schools etc.
Couldn't think of anything funny, thought provoking, inspiring or a cool idea for a photo with text. Didn't want to tell you who my favorite teams are in sports because I doubt you care. And there aren't enough Colts fans for Adopt-a-Colt
stchamp98

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stallyns wrote:
http://www.football-links.com/links/College/
here is a link for listings for d-1a, d-1aa, d-2 schools etc.

LOL.

Thanks I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is, a team takes a bigger gamble when they select a 1-AA player, as opposed to 1-A. The competition just is not there week in and week out.

I'm not sure what you see in Thomas that I don't, but let's hope Nick Collins is no Joey Thomas.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hauschild wrote:
My point is, a team takes a bigger gamble when they select a 1-AA player, as opposed to 1-A. The competition just is not there week in and week out.

I'm not sure what you see in Thomas that I don't, but let's hope Nick Collins is no Joey Thomas.

I didn't say Thomas was "the answer", but f you'd rather have Carroll than Thomas, you apparently haven't seen either of them play.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dislike Thomas and Carroll. Both are just not NFL caliber starting CB's. If it were my team, I'd give Nick Collins a shot at starting cornerback, or at least work his way into the position by mid-season. He seems to be able to cover receivers very well, which is what one needs to do at the position.

We need an answer at cornerback much more than at safety at this point in time. I think we could limp along at both safety positions without Nick Collilns. However, I've read that Nick is holding his own, so my dream of Green Bay having to competent starting CB's is pretty much a silly pipe dream.

I guarantee you both those knuckleheads(Thomas/Carroll)are gonna cost Green Bay multiple games this year. Mark my words.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hauschild wrote:
I dislike Thomas and Carroll. Both are just not NFL caliber starting CB's. If it were my team, I'd give Nick Collins a shot at starting cornerback, or at least work his way into the position by mid-season. He seems to be able to cover receivers very well, which is what one needs to do at the position.

We need an answer at cornerback much more than at safety at this point in time. I think we could limp along at both safety positions without Nick Collilns. However, I've read that Nick is holding his own, so my dream of Green Bay having to competent starting CB's is pretty much a silly pipe dream.

I guarantee you both those knuckleheads(Thomas/Carroll)are gonna cost Green Bay multiple games this year. Mark my words.

Don't think Thomas will "cost" you guys games, but I agree neither are of starting CB calibur right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, as far as non-major schools, a coupla names come to mind:
Donald Driver, Alcorn State and some guy name of Rice, Mississippi Valley State. Granted. "small" school players have a more difficult time mking it in the NFL but they also come in with more to prove.

As for starting cornerbacks:
Jason Horton, Joey Thomas, Michael Hawkins and Al Harris: 6' 1"
Ahmad Carroll, 5' 10" (all of it hands apparently)
Nick Collins, 5' 11"

I thought Carroll was a wasted pick. Short corners don't fare well in the NFC North division. Anybody remember Terrell Buckley?
stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgcc1949 wrote:
Donald Driver, Alcorn State and some guy name of Rice, Mississippi Valley State. Granted. "small" school players have a more difficult time mking it in the NFL but they also come in with more to prove.

Nick Collins, 5' 11"

I thought Carroll was a wasted pick. Short corners don't fare well in the NFC North division. Anybody remember Terrell Buckley?

Short corner's don't survive in the NFC North?

Ever heard of Antoine Winfield?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dre' Bly is small as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rushpacker_56 wrote:
Dre' Bly is small as well.

Yeah, and as I recall he is doing more than just playing "well".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgcc1949 wrote:

Nick Collins, 5' 11"

I honestly believe it has less to do with height than honest-to-goodness skill at cornerback. Nick Collins at 5' 11" is a perfect size for corner. Plus, he demonstrated above any other secondary player at the Senior Bowl, his ability to cover receivers and shut them down. Carroll and Thomas do not possess this type of skill. If either did, we wouldn't be talking about filling a cornerback position.

It looks like the coaches are gonna throw caution to the wind and gamble that Carroll and Thomas will grow into the role. If this is the case, it could be a painful season, fellas.
Cheezy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is why i think we should sign a veteran cornerback to add to the mix if we are unsure whether or not Thomas or Carroll will perform good or not when the season comes. Someone like Bobby Taylor or heck maybe try to go after Ty Law.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty Law would never consider Green Bay because of the state of our defense. Hell, I might not even want to play for the Pack because of this. There are just too many if's, and not enough answers.

Also, I'd rather have Carroll in there grabbing for the stars, rather than Bobby Taylor, who'd probably have his hands full outrunning Grady Jackson in the forty.

It's too late for quick-fixes, lads! We gotta dance with who brung us!
KiwiFan94

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carroll has the speed to cover any WR but does not believe that so he holds. He has been working on that and has been holding a lot less then he did last year. I do believe Carroll will be solid and I do belive he will be the starter this year. I think Carroll will surprise a lot of people this year when he does well.

~kinetic~

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: