Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Draft: OVERHAULED TOP THREE, GAMMONS REPORT CONSIDERED!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mission27

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Mock Draft: OVERHAULED TOP THREE, GAMMONS REPORT CONSIDERED! Reply with quote

1. Tampa Bay Rays: Tim Beckham, SS, Griffin:

Beckham might be the highest upside player to go early in this draft. The high school SS has impact speed, the kind that could get him 30 steals at the major league level. Although scouts are torn on weather this guy will develop and impact bat he does have the potential to be a 20 home run hitter at the major league level. The consensus is that he will be a solid, if not good, major league defender. He is a work in progress coming out of high school but with all his tools he has tremendous upside. Peter Gammons has reported that this pick is between Beckham and Buster Posey. IMO Beckham is far and away the better prospect, and will step right in as the SS of the future in Tampa.

2. Pittsburgh Pirates: Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Vanderbilt:

Pedro Alvarez is the best hitter in the draft and I donít see how you can argue. He has put up insane numbers at Vanderbilt, even battling through injuries this last season. As I have evaluated him I have looked over stats, videos, and scouting reports, however before today I have never seen him play in a game. So today I flipped on the TV to watch Vanderbilt play South Carolina in a re broadcast of the May 23rd game. Alvarez comes up and with a little flick of the wrist, crushes the ball to left center for a homerun. Iím sold. This guy can be a major league power hitter. He generates crazy power with just the littlest effort; the homer reminds me of one I saw Jose Tabata hit in spring training a few years ago for the Yankees. The Pirates have to make this pick, they really donít have much of a choice. They need an impact bat to add to that lineup and a big time player to show the fans they still care.

3. Kansas City Royals: Brian Matusz, P, San Diego:

Matusz is easily the top pitcher in this class. He throws in the low 90s, with a fastball reaching 94 or 95 along with a sick curveball and effective slider. Heís a lefty witch really helps his draft stock and with only one or two pitchers to seriously challenge him he is a virtual lock to be the top one off the board. The Pirates seem set on offensively with Pearce and McCutchen coming up at some point this season, the best pitcher in the draft seems to be the logical choice. The Royals may end up going with a first basemen, weather its Hosmer or Smoak, however I think grabbing the top pitcher in this class would be the logical pick.

4. Baltimore Orioles: Eric Hosmer, 1B, American Heritage:

Hosmer is a polished hitter coming out of high school with the potential, and frame, to develop into and above average power hitter in the big leagues. Heís just an all around professional hitter even at this early stage in his career. Hosmer is a very good defender, the kind of guy that could win a gold glove at first. I think this pick is between Hosmer and Smoak, as I canít see them thinking about taking a catcher after drafting Wieters last year. I like both but I think Hosmer, being younger and still very polished, will be the pick. He is also a better defender.

5. San Francisco Giants: Justin Smoak, 1B, South Carolina:

Smoak has crazy power, some comparing it to Mark Teixeiraís. Scouts think this guy has a legitimate chance to be a .300/40 home run hitter at the big league level with a smooth, powerful swing. He isnít the defender that Hosmer is but he is good enough to play first at the big league level. I could easily see him going to Baltimore but if he is there at 5 he makes perfect since for the Giants. They need an impact, power bat in the middle of that lineup and Smoak is that guy.

6. Florida Marlins: Buster Posey, C, Florida State:

Posey is widely considered the top catcher in this draft and a candidate to go number 1 overall. Posey is a good pure hitter, with good knowledge of the strike zone. He is a line drive hitter with very good gap power, but isnít going to hit many home runs. Although he was originally a shortstop, he has made a smooth transition to catcher and should be able to stay there at the major league level, filling one of the only weaknesses offensively for the Marlins.

7. Cincinnati Reds: Brett Wallace, 1B, Arizona State:

Wallace is a tremendous pure hitter who can drive the ball to all fields. He has good power, however he isnít going to be able to bulk up much (heís already 240 pounds at 6í2) so his upside in that department is limited. He receives the ball well at first, however he has poor range (and isnít that tall) so he wont prevent to many errors on poorly thrown balls. The Reds, like the Royals, have plenty of young, talented, pitchers at the big league level. They however need to add a big bat to that lineup to replace Dunn and Griffey. Bruce will certainly help but Wallace would be a really nice addition.

8. Gordon Beckham, SS, Georgia:

Beckham is a pretty good pure hitter and even at around 180 pounds he has good power. He is a good base runner, a little slower than Tim but with just as good instincts on the base paths. Beckham is a very good defensive player with great range. Beckham would become the long term solution at SS for the White Sox right away. I like Gordon Beckham a lot, he has better bat than Tim Beckham for now, but he slower and does not have as high upside.

9. Washington Nationals: Kyle Skipworth, C, Patriots High School:

A lot of people think Skipworth may be better than Posey and does have higher upside. He is a switch hitting catcher, something that usually leads to success. He is a decent average hitter but what really sets him apart is his power. He could be an above average major league power hitter, something you rarely get from a catcher. He isnít a great defensive catcher but heís coming out of high school so it could improve. The Nationals donít have a long term solution at catcher on their roster, nor do they have a big time prospect waiting in the minor leagues. I think Skipworth is the solution.

10. Houston Astros: Aaron Hicks, OF/P, Woodrow Wilson High School:

Hicks seems to be the consensus number one outfielder, as well as one of the top pitchers in this class. He isnít the greatest hitter for average but has very high power potential. He has plus speed but isnít the greatest bass runner out there. He is a natural good defender with possibly the best arm of any outfielder in this draft. That arm may also translate to the pitching mound. He can throw in the mid to high 90s, and is considered a potential future ace. The Astros donít have anyone with Hicks upside in their farm system, not even close.

NextBigThing wrote:
I am supremely confident Taylor Swift would date me if we ever met.

#JDI

Last edited by mission27 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
hrubes20

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I heard, the Rays weren't even considering Beckham. It was between Posey and Alvarez, with the thought that Longoria might shift to 2nd in the future for Alvarez to stay at 3rd. This assuming that Carlos Pena is still around. I'd be surprised to see Hicks go that high and I don't know if Wallace will go that high either. I think Kyle Skipworth will be in the top 10 as well. Just what I've read and my personal opinion though.

Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to think that the Angels drafted both Posey and Matusz but didn't sign either guy. It's going to be a sad day for me on June 5th.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
ATLdirtybird

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big7BenMVP wrote:
Sad to think that the Angels drafted both Posey and Matusz but didn't sign either guy. It's going to be a sad day for me on June 5th.

I know...it just shows us how good the Angels scouts are, that's why the farm system is so good (and the fact that we don't trade our young prospects).

We drafted Brian Matusz in the 5th round of the 2005 Draft but we failed to meet his $1.5M demand to sign (this was out of high school). We drafted Buster Posey in the 50th round of the 2005 Draft, however he opted to go to Florida State.
mission27

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
Last I heard, the Rays weren't even considering Beckham. It was between Posey and Alvarez, with the thought that Longoria might shift to 2nd in the future for Alvarez to stay at 3rd. This assuming that Carlos Pena is still around. I'd be surprised to see Hicks go that high and I don't know if Wallace will go that high either. I think Kyle Skipworth will be in the top 10 as well. Just what I've read and my personal opinion though.

Didnt know about Rays. Will fix, probably go with Alvarez.

NextBigThing wrote:

#JDI
ATLdirtybird

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mission27 wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:

Didnt know about Rays. Will fix, probably go with Alvarez.

I would say they go with the best pitcher available.
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Matusz just pitched a complete game shutout. He struckout ten, allowed three hits and walked just one.

David Cooper of California singled with one out in the 9th to end a string of 13 straight batters retired by Matusz.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
mission27

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Vandy playing tonight? Saw SEC on schedule.

NextBigThing wrote:

#JDI
SanFran49ers

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wont call the Posey pick for the Giants a bad one because I have heard that they are interested in him. But I would prefer to see them take Smoak. Posey projects as a real solid catcher in the majors, a guy who can hit 270-280 and bat in the latter half of the lineup. I want more of an impact bat and player with a selection that high if Im the Giants. Smoak could be a force in the middle of the lineup with gold glove potential as well. Also, the Giants havent had a good first baseman since...well JT Snow (if you consider him good).

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just say this, we won't be picking at the top pick for awhile. Make the best of this opportunity.
mission27

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanFran49ers wrote:
I wont call the Posey pick for the Giants a bad one because I have heard that they are interested in him. But I would prefer to see them take Smoak. Posey projects as a real solid catcher in the majors, a guy who can hit 270-280 and bat in the latter half of the lineup. I want more of an impact bat and player with a selection that high if Im the Giants. Smoak could be a force in the middle of the lineup with gold glove potential as well. Also, the Giants havent had a good first baseman since...well JT Snow (if you consider him good).

Good point. I could see them going with Smoak and I'm redoing some of these picks soon so Ill defiantly take a look at that, it makes since.

NextBigThing wrote:

#JDI
hrubes20

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big7BenMVP wrote:

You can't really complain about a high schooler getting taken in the 50th round and not signing. Very, very few do. Now Matusz in the 5th you could get a little angry about your team not shelling out the dough to keep him. I think the Cubs gave out over a million to a 12th rounder out of high last year in Ryan Acosta.

mission27

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
Big7BenMVP wrote:

You can't really complain about a high schooler getting taken in the 50th round and not signing. Very, very few do. Now Matusz in the 5th you could get a little angry about your team not shelling out the dough to keep him. I think the Cubs gave out over a million to a 12th rounder out of high last year in Ryan Acosta.

I think 8th round pick Dellin Betances got well over a million. He was a projected late first rounder though who people thought might go to college, and he was drafted by the Yankees.

NextBigThing wrote:

#JDI
ATLdirtybird

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We aren't mad at the team...at least I'm not. I'm more bumbed out than upset.
hrubes20

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATLdirtybird wrote:
We aren't mad at the team...at least I'm not. I'm more bumbed out than upset.

Oh, I know. I was just stating that when a team takes a high school player after about the 25th round, they shouldn't have any real hopes of signing them unless they fork out quite a bit. Every stud high schooler thinks they can go to college and boost their stock. The only way to get low round high schoolers is to pay them like the early rounder that they think they are.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: