Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

WR question for the Cheifs fans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: WR question for the Cheifs fans Reply with quote

Who is going to step up and replace Johnnie Morton? I figure it would be Dante Hall or Samie Parker, but who else could have an impact and which WR(other then Kennison) will have the best year?
2TP3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think by the end of the year Sammie Parker will be the #1 WR in KC. Dante Hall will probably have less playing time because of the depth we have at WR and that will also help keep him healthy for returning punts and kicks. FredEx will catch a few passes but I dont think he'll do that great, as of now I believe the depth chart goes as so.
E. Kennison
F. Mitchell
S. Parker
D. Hall
M. Boerigter
C. Thorp
and guys that probably wont make the team
Chris Horn
Richard Smith
Jeris McIntyer
John Booth
And my projected depth chart by the end of the year
S. Parker
E. Kennison
F. Mitchell
M. Boerighter
D. Hall
C. Thorp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read your response and it all sounds good but didn't we pick up a reciever from the Titans. Where does he fit into the picture. And how tall is Parker do you really he can be a #1 reciever. As a KC fan I am worried because we have no BIG recievers everyone one is under 5'10. And I guess we will be running alot of crossing patterns underneath. Imagine if we had just 1 tall reciever that the NFL had to respect. I am not saying a Moss or Owens but someone with some height. This would allow us to open up more on the offense. What do you think of Larry Johnson getting alot of run this year at half back. Holcomb is not bad either at fullback to back up Richardson so where does that leave Omar Easy?

I would have traded Holmes for a shut down corner or top defensive end. This is good for the team the defensive needs help but the offense will put up points even with Larry Johnson in the back field
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony G is 6-5
Kennison is 6-1
Boerigter is 6-3
Mitchell is 5-11
Hall is 5-8
Kris Wilson (TE) is 6-2
and Parker is 5-11 with great speed

(also of note rookie Craphonso Thorpe - FSU - he's 6-0)

those figure to be our top pass options in this offense outside of including the RB's. We dont have any issue's with size in our receiving corp. Dante Hall is the only lil guy but his role in the passing game is being reduced - he will be in for lil WR screens and such so his size wont be a detriment in that role.

as to trading Holmes. There was absolutely no market demand for RB's. No way anyone out there makes the kinda deal Denver and Wash did. You have 2 top rb's (Alexander and James) out there available right now that no one has dealt even a 2nd rnd pick for and they are younger and have less injury risk than Holmes. Regardless of those glaring facts and even more important - we dont wanna trade Holmes ! We love Holmes. If he's healthy - even with an increased load for Johnson - Holmes is a 1200 yards and 15 TD type back, not to mention his 50 or so catches he'll add. Toss another 500 yarsds from Johnson and 5-10 scores. We have 2 great RB's to use and we're gonna need them and use them. The heart of our offense is our run game behind that gifted offensive line.

Regarding the WR from the Titans, Darrell Hill, he was brought in for special teams play where he was a standout for Tenn. Any role he serves in the passing game will be in emergency duty. This is not to say he has no chance to play - he's never been coached by our guys (Charlie Joiner is our WR coach) so maybe he can take a step forward but his signing was for special teams. He's 6-3 so theres size there too.
bh13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachedgreen wrote:
Holcomb is not bad either at fullback to back up Richardson so where does that leave Omar Easy?

Easy wasn't re-signed. He's with the Raiders now.
timmay98

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way we trade Holmes. The time to trade Holmes would have been when we still had an opportunity to re-sign Blaylock. I'm glad we kept Holmes and still got our shutdown corner. The combination of a healthy one-two punch with Holmes and Johnson will make up for anything lacking in the WR department. Besides our main target is the best tight end in the world and the only thing we have lost from Trent Green's 4591 yards and 27td season last year is Johnnie Morton 795 yards 3td's. We will be introducing a more experienced Sammie Parker, Marc Boreighter returns, Kris Wilson will hopefully be healthy, and I hate to say it because I didn't like the signing of Freddie Mitchell. We've never had a standout WR but as long as Trent stays healthy he'll return back to his form from last year where he had his best year as a QB. BUT HE HAS TOO STAY HEALTHY!!! He is by far our most valuable player. I really with they would have drafted Adrian McPherson just in case something happens because I have NO faith in our backups.
coachedgreen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: some good points Reply with quote

Well first of all Arrowhead86 you really know your stuff and I respect that and like to say i enjoyed your comments. As far as depth in the backfield we have it and that is something to be proud of. I would not trade Holmes at this point with Baylock gone. But you did mention the other top backs that nobody has went after. Great point!!! Now as far as recievers I love Tony G but if you really think that #85 is going to be a threat for our offense then thats were I feel that we are not on the same page yeah Kennison will do good but I want to know who is going to be the deep threat for KC. I do not really see a great reciever core it is ok but that is only becasue of Gonzalez and if he ever went down then we are toast!! Alot of teams would key on our run game and we would have problems with out Tony Gonzalez to kill the teams with the Play action to the tightend.
Do you think that the signing of Hall, Bell, Surtain, Knight, Amborse and picking Thomas in the draft will make a big difference.
Bell if he stays healthly yes
Surtain yes Thomas yes
what are your thoughts on Hall Knight and Amborse?
Would love for Trent Green to be a leader and take a pay cut and encourage others to do so like wise to sign Ty Law. Some say it is crazy but if you already have millions then do what the nba players do take pay cuts and try to draw in the best talent you can get to help the team make a run for the superbowl. We do not have long for all these great players to be around.
2TP3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: some good points Reply with quote

coachedgreen wrote:
Well first of all Arrowhead86 you really know your stuff and I respect that and like to say i enjoyed your comments. As far as depth in the backfield we have it and that is something to be proud of. I would not trade Holmes at this point with Baylock gone. But you did mention the other top backs that nobody has went after. Great point!!! Now as far as recievers I love Tony G but if you really think that #85 is going to be a threat for our offense then thats were I feel that we are not on the same page yeah Kennison will do good but I want to know who is going to be the deep threat for KC. I do not really see a great reciever core it is ok but that is only becasue of Gonzalez and if he ever went down then we are toast!! Alot of teams would key on our run game and we would have problems with out Tony Gonzalez to kill the teams with the Play action to the tightend.
Do you think that the signing of Hall, Bell, Surtain, Knight, Amborse and picking Thomas in the draft will make a big difference.
Bell if he stays healthly yes
Surtain yes Thomas yes
what are your thoughts on Hall Knight and Amborse?
Would love for Trent Green to be a leader and take a pay cut and encourage others to do so like wise to sign Ty Law. Some say it is crazy but if you already have millions then do what the nba players do take pay cuts and try to draw in the best talent you can get to help the team make a run for the superbowl. We do not have long for all these great players to be around.

Ill help field these questions, first off alot goes into a deep threat, for example speed, quickness, jumping ability, footwork and ability to adjust to the ball in flight, not just height, I feel even though Parker doesnt have great height he does possess great speed, quickness and jumping ability and the other 3 skills are for the most part learned with experience and I think Parker will improve in those skills as he gets more playing time. Second off Trent doesnt throw a great deep ball anyway and he has succeeded thus far. Kennison has been the main target for the deep ball in the past and I think he still has the speed to get down the field if Saunders wants to take a shot that is if Parker cant take over that duty.

If Gonzalez got injured, sure it would hurt alot but on the same hand we have 2 great back-up TEs in Jason Dunn and Kris Wilson. Dunn is not a great reciever but he is a great blocker and Wilson is a great reciever but is under developed at blocking, IMO the running game would take more of a hit if Gonzo got injured because Wilson would fill in nicely in the passing game but Gonzo wouldnt be there to seal off the corner on tosses, pitches and off tackle runs. But as for if Ds homed in on the running game I think we would still be fine because we would still have lots of targets plus did you see the game against the Ravens last year, Ray Lewis and company got man handeled by the O line.

As for the new acquisitions, Bell as you said if he can stay injury free can be very instumental in the passing game because of his pass rushing skills and his speed which we need badly. Derrick Johnson(you must have gotten him confused with Derrick Thomas RIP), Ive heard
nothing but good things about him, hes not much of a pass rusher but he is a great coverage man and a turnover machine and he will be a huge addition to our D. The biggest difference on our D this year will be Patrick Surtain, he will open up lots of oppurtunity for Warfield to show off his skills and the addition of Sammy Knight creates instant chemestry coming from the same defensive backfield. Ambrose I think was a bad move, though he is experienced he isnt that fast anymore and he is coming from the worst pass defense in the league. He will battle it out with McCleon for the #2 CB postion for the first 4 games while Warfield serves his suspension and from then on the nickle corner at which point I think McCleon will win the job. I dont think Carlos Hall will make much of a diffrence as a pass rusher because Allen will be taking that duty on, obviously Peterson felt we need more help on the D line and thats why he got Hall but IMO its wasnt a great move.

I would love it if more players took pay cuts but as for Trent Green he already has taken 2 pay cuts in past years plus hes been great for the community so he has done more than his share to help the team and the city, I think its time for guys like Warfield, Wesley, Hicks and Woods to take pay cuts.

One guy that you didnt mention that wasnt on the roster last year except for one game(he was on the practice squad for most of the year) is Rich Scanlon, his skills are comparable to Mike Maslowski. Scanlon went to the NFLE this year and tore up the league winning the defensive player of the year award and totaled the secont most tackles in a season behind only Maslowski. As of now the MLB position is up for grabs between Kawika Mitchell, Boomer Grigsby and Scanlon and once they get on the field I think Scanlon can win the postion and put up pretty good numbers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: