Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Motor City MoJo: Detroit Lion updates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forty six & 2 wrote:
The Detroit Lions traded DT Shaun Rogers to the Cincinnati Bengals.

There are two reports as to the compensation. ESPN says it's for a third and a fifth round pick, the Cincinnati Enquirer says it's for a third or a fourth.

Third and fifth is correct. A lot of us are pretty disappointed. The Lions have yet again opened a big hole for themselves at another crucial defensive position. The trend of trading away the team's best defensive player in the offseason is a scary one, especially because this time around, they've failed to fill the holes with veterans. Unless Detroit signs a high-profile DT in the next few days--and there don't look to be any good candidates out there--Shaun Cody could be starting in 2008.

I suspect that, like last year, Detroit will use these extra picks to trade back into the second round of the draft and get a guy that can start sooner rather than later. If you recall, the Lions had three second-round picks last year. None of them were expected to play much immediately, however, and the only reason Gerald Alexander did is because Daniel Bullocks got injured.

As for the Dwight Smith signing, there have been talks about using a three-man rotation at safety between Alexander, Bullocks, and Smith. Smith has played nickel CB in his career (that's actually where he started), so it's possible they will play him there. Gerald Alexander was a FS/CB hybrid player when he was drafted, so it's possible the team could move him to corner instead. A lot of fans and pundits also anticipate that Detroit will try to sign Brian Kelly and/or Drayton Florence.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that coming from a Vikings fan's point of view, im pleased with the latest goings for the Lions.

They got rid of Shaun Rodgers for virtually nothing compared to what he's worth. They couldn't land Jonathan Vilma, released Fernando Bryant, yet to make a big impact in FA, etc.

I am liking how we are starting to move forward and teams in our division either have yet to do anything, or are moving backwards.

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
forty six & 2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple-Pride07 wrote:
I must say that coming from a Vikings fan's point of view, im pleased with the latest goings for the Lions.

They got rid of Shaun Rodgers for virtually nothing compared to what he's worth. They couldn't land Jonathan Vilma, released Fernando Bryant, yet to make a big impact in FA, etc.

I am liking how we are starting to move forward and teams in our division either have yet to do anything, or are moving backwards.

For some reason, the Cincinnati trade didn't go through. Now The Lions have traded Rogers to Cleveland for CB Leigh Bodden and Cleveland's 3rd round pick.

LINK
Rodgers will settle into a 35 TD, 7 INT, 112 QB rating player.
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forty six & 2 wrote:
Purple-Pride07 wrote:

For some reason, the Cincinnati trade didn't go through. Now The Lions have traded Rogers to Cleveland for CB Leigh Bodden and Cleveland's 3rd round pick.

LINK

I just caught it....was about to post it but you beat me to it.

I definitely don't like this move as much as I did the other. Ill take it with a grain of salt and be done with it, but Millen finally made a decent move. Not great, but decent.

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
AndyJ1134

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detriot has a Top 5 corner now in Bodden. When Healthy he is an awesome CB.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyJ1134 wrote:

Pardon? You think Leigh Bodden is a top 5 CB? Top 5 in what? You really think Cleveland just traded a third round pick and a top 5 CB for Shaun Rogers? Yikes.
Rodgers will settle into a 35 TD, 7 INT, 112 QB rating player.
thebeast

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forty six & 2 wrote:
AndyJ1134 wrote:

Pardon? You think Leigh Bodden is a top 5 CB? Top 5 in what? You really think Cleveland just traded a third round pick and a top 5 CB for Shaun Rogers? Yikes.

Ya, I have to agree. Bodden may be a good CB, but nowhere near top 5.

Thanks to all the Packer fans for this disgusting sig. May I puke everytime I look at it. Wink
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an update on the Lions.

While there is still plenty of time for the Lions to improve their lot, early indications are they won't be making any earth shattering moves.

Coming off a season that saw improvement and actually created an air of optimism for Lion fans the free agency season has been dissapointing so far.

The most notable move so far has been the trade of Shaun Rogers. Opinion amongst fans is split. While Leigh Bodden steps in as the teams number one corner some like myself feel that trading Rogers is a mistake. The knock on Rogers was that he didn't always show up. Well, he showed up pretty well the first six games of the year and had Detroit been able to control the ball it remains to be seen what less time on the field could have done for Rogers and the defence. In any event when you lack impact players you don't move the ones you have unless the deal is earth shattering. There is an old cliche in sports that the team that gets the best player wins. If this is true Cleveland by a mile. I won't comment on the pick until we see where that leads. Hopefully it is packaged with other picks to attain another high second round choice.

Still with the Rogers trade it is also surprising given the Tampa 2 which thrives off QB pressure. This article explains it fairly well,

http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=469476

Of course you know about the Dwight Smith signing. Personally I like it and with todays signing of Brian Kelly,

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story?id=09000d5d8071b861&template=without-video&confirm=true

our secondary will certainly be improved.

Other signings to date,

DT Chartric Darby
RB Aveion Cason
TE Michael Gaines (I like this signing)
TE John Owens
CB Travis Fischer
S Keith Smith
G Corey Hulsey.

Most of the signings are O.K. but don't add or take away from the competency of the team. As we read in the link to the Tampa two if the signing of Darby leads to pressure on the QB then the Lions will be free to try and find a MLB in the draft to complement the improved secondary.

On the offensive side of the ball the big news is that we will try to be more of running team.

http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=468874

Of course then TJ signed with Seattle which further weakens a highly suspect backfield.

KJ is returning from injury and the success of the running game depends on his ability to stay healthy. Julius Jones came to Detroit which indicates the Lions are looking for help. The lack of a signing could mean they will target a RB in the draft.

So in summation the defensive line is weaker, our running game is weaker but our secondary is much better.

There are still plenty of tier two free agents on the market and hopefully some of them will make a new home in Detroit. We have far two many holes to fill in the draft and our sole competency is at wide receiver.

Looking forward I don't believe the Lions will show significant improvement this year and I expect the NFC to finish

1. Vikings
2. Packers
3. Lions
4. Bears

I hope I am wrong. Perhaps I am simply cynical after the years of mediocre teams.

Thanks,

DHLF

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Steve Kisiel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for Lions fans:

Is there any chances of the Lions organization taking a WR in the first?

This is actually a serious question because I was thinking that Roy Williams could be traded/cut this offseason, or next, due to his contract.

Thanks guys, good luck on the season...

R.I.P Crakburn.

Lets go King Tarvaris!

[quote="Jared Allen on blankie"]If anyone thinks I'm a wuss, you are absolutely correct![/quote]
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Kisiel wrote:
Question for Lions fans:

Is there any chances of the Lions organization taking a WR in the first?

This is actually a serious question because I was thinking that Roy Williams could be traded/cut this offseason, or next, due to his contract.

Thanks guys, good luck on the season...

I don't think RW will be traded. The only way would be if the offer was simply to good to pass up.

So.....no, I don't think the LIons take a WR in the first. But you never know.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Steve Kisiel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The StarTribune reports The Detroit Lions have cut running back Kevin Jones and defensive end Kalimba Edwards.

Not much to report, but true.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/16655006.html

R.I.P Crakburn.

Lets go King Tarvaris!

[quote="Jared Allen on blankie"]If anyone thinks I'm a wuss, you are absolutely correct![/quote]
IlliniVikeFan23

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should sign Edwards. He has some talent...I don't know what happened to him the past two years after he signed that huge contract.
A.J.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Kisiel wrote:
The StarTribune reports The Detroit Lions have cut running back Kevin Jones and defensive end Kalimba Edwards.

we should take a look at edwards and try to sign him

Oklahoma Sooner Fan (Boomer Sooner)
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.J. wrote:
Steve Kisiel wrote:

we should take a look at edwards and try to sign him

He's nothing more than what Brian Robison is right now, a situational pass-rusher, so what would be the reason for signing him?

And BTW, not that this will be a newsflash, but with all the players that Detroit's lost this offseason, I wouldn't be surprised to see them have the #1 pick in the '09 Draft. They are going to be that bad. Look at the list of players they've lost from last season:

Boss Bailey
Teddy Lehman
Kevin Jones
Kalimba Edwards
Shaun Rogers
Damien Woody
Fernando Bryant
TJ Duckett

They may as well start Drew Stanton next season and just cut Jon Kitna, because they aren't going anywhere. It's going to be a few seasons before the Lions will even reach what they did this past season. Even with the signing of our own Dwight Smith and Brian Kelly, they're only replacing younger talent with older talent...and honestly, they aren't that much of an upgrade over the younger talent.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Nopussycat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me update what is going on in Detroit. The Lions now have a roster of thirteen players( who are all former Bucs over the age of thirty) and Rod plans for them to play both ways during the regular season. He is letting Matt Millen pick names out of a hat for their draft picks and Millen has won a lifetime contract extension in a poker game with William Clay Ford, Sr.. Are you ready for some football !!!!!

Sig by Spartan4Life

The Lions can't suck forever,right?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 3 of 22

Jump to: