Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Vikings roster changes: depth chart, cuts, additions
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krauser

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: 2014 Vikings roster changes: depth chart, cuts, additions Reply with quote

Here's the Vikings first "unofficial" depth chart of training camp, released Monday:

Already out of date since AC Leonard was released today.

Surprises, comments, predictions?
TENINCH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like seeing Jabari Price where he is. Could be a late round gem for Spielman.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My notes by position:

WR: Thielen at split end, Simpson at flanker. Thielen ahead of Rodney Smith (not for long, based on recent camp reports). Patterson at split end, not flanker, as some speculated.

OL: Johnson almost certain to start at LG. Baca seems likely to be cut. Hope Richardson can offer some depth at OT, they need it.

QB: Not sure they can justify the roster spot for Ponder, who's reportedly barely trying in camp this year.

RB: Wonder if Felton gets cut

DL: Johnson and Evans seem like good bets, given what's behind them. Stephen's ahead of Baker already.

LB: Mauti at WLB not MLB, Hodges at SLB not WLB. Watts ahead of Mauti, bad news for his chances of making the team unless they keep 7. Would be nice to see Cole beat out Brinkley but I don't know if he's good enough against the run.

CB: Rhodes at RCB not LCB where he played exclusively last year. Robinson the favorite as the 3rd CB. Price ahead of Cox, might see him as a second slot CB in dime sets. Sherels looks likely to make the team. Prater buried, Zimmer cut him from the Bengals once already.

S: Big mess aside from Smith.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Rhodes truly playing RCB or is this just a mistake on the depth chart? I fully expect Rhodes to be the starter at LCB.
Krauser

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Is Rhodes truly playing RCB or is this just a mistake on the depth chart? I fully expect Rhodes to be the starter at LCB.

He's at RCB in that scrimmage highlight where he makes the diving INT.

Might be a move aimed at making Josh Robinson more comfortable. He mostly played on the left in 2012 and when he played outside last year.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krauser wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

He's at RCB in that scrimmage highlight where he makes the diving INT.

Might be a move aimed at making Josh Robinson more comfortable. He mostly played on the left in 2012 and when he played outside last year.

That might be possible. We are accustomed to playing the best CB on the left side. I suppose that might be a bit outdated since offenses move receivers around so much. I would ideally like to see Rhodes play the side wherever the opponents best WR liines up.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading too much into the Mauti situation I think Krauser. He's been playing every backer position, and I believe a coach already said it's not an indication of where he is in the pecking order.

He's been taking snaps as the 2nd team MLB and 2nd team SLB. They are now trying him out at WLB and likely having him work his way up the ladder.

Mauti, barring injury, is going to make this team due to versatility alone. Zimmer seems to like his linebackers to play multiple positions (Rey, Maualuga, etc.).

Similarly, Audie Cole hasn't been taking many snaps at MLB through off-season workouts going all the way back to OTA's. He's was the #1 SLB going in to camp, but, now that they have gotten an extended look at him, Barr has a stranglehold on that job. Audie is now the 2nd team MLB.
Freakout

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Reading too much into the Mauti situation I think Krauser. He's been playing every backer position, and I believe a coach already said it's not an indication of where he is in the pecking order.

He's been taking snaps as the 2nd team MLB and 2nd team SLB. They are now trying him out at WLB and likely having him work his way up the ladder.

Mauti, barring injury, is going to make this team due to versatility alone. Zimmer seems to like his linebackers to play multiple positions (Rey, Maualuga, etc.).

Similarly, Audie Cole hasn't been taking many snaps at MLB through off-season workouts going all the way back to OTA's. He's was the #1 SLB going in to camp, but, now that they have gotten an extended look at him, Barr has a stranglehold on that job. Audie is now the 2nd team MLB.

I'll add that Hodges has been spending the majority of his time at WLB. This makes me wonder just how much input the coaching staff has when making this list or is it another Mike Wobschall type locked in a closet at the facility.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coaches are obligated to put out the depth chart prior to the first preseason game.
Krauser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:

Maybe, yeah. Mauti might be showing versatility, but he might also be moving around in different roles because he's not excelling at any one of them.

Brinkley, Cole, Greenway and Barr are locks to make the team. Hodges is more athletic and was good on special teams last year. Watts is more athletic and a rookie who's more likely to get the benefit of a developmental year as a backup. So Mauti could easily be the 7th LB, on the bubble if they only keep 6.

I've been optimistic about Mauti but basically he should be (at least) a 2-down downhill MLB. If he can't beat out Brinkley, and he's apparently nowhere near doing that, the chances of him ever sticking as a starter are very low. MLB isn't a position that usually takes years to develop, rookies are often plug and play there. Last year Mauti's injury was a good reason for him to be a backup, but this preseason should be his big chance, if it's ever going to happen.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I'm reading too much into the positive comments made about Mauti by the media people that are there, but, by their tone, him moving around has nothing to do with his ability at any of the positions.

Like Bridgewater, and some of the other young guys, I think he's being moved around and tested to see what he can do.
Krauser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Perhaps I'm reading too much into the positive comments made about Mauti by the media people that are there, but, by their tone, him moving around has nothing to do with his ability at any of the positions.

Like Bridgewater, and some of the other young guys, I think he's being moved around and tested to see what he can do.

Hope so.

Beating out Brinkley shouldn't be a high hurdle to clear. But they may value having a vet there if Barr is playing 3 downs.

Maybe he'll show more in a game setting in preseason.

If not, would still rather keep Mauti on the roster as an extra LB / ST contributor than Ponder as a faint hope insurance policy QB3. Maybe Mauti would contribute as a starter in 2015.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"We're pleased especially with the coverage aspect and those kinds of things, the inside run, especially running to the perimeter to get to some of the crack tosses and stuff," defensive coordinator George Edwards said of Mauti's play in the middle. "You can really see him flash with his speed, he's an aggressive kid, from that aspect of it. We liked what we saw out of him. He's another one that's in the mix. But right now, we're settling in with what we want to do for this first week. Things happen and we're trying to get guys prepared."

Link

Looks like him being third on the WLB depth chart has more to do with him not having practiced there much prior to the first pre-season game.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a few holes on this team that will need to be addressed soon:

1) 2nd string RB: Or really, just Adrian's backup. McKinnon isn't a true RB, and will be used as a playmaker. I don't think Asiata is the answer.

2) backup DT: Johnson and Evans are nothing special. I wouldn't expect much from Shamar Stephen or Kheeston Randall

3) WLB: Greenway just isn't any good. It remains to be seen what Brandon Watts can do, but this needs to be immediately upgraded next offseason

4) MLB: Needs immediate upgrade

5) LG: Yankey potentially is our guy for the future, but if not, this spot also needs an immediate upgrade

6) #1 WR: Jennings, Wright or Patterson don't seem to fit this mold. We don't have a Josh Gordon or Vincent Jackson on this team, or anything that fits that mold (outside of a raw Rod Smith) that Turner has been used to. This should be heavily considered early in the draft next year

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krauser wrote:
Brinkley, Cole, Greenway and Barr are locks to make the team.

What has Cole done to be called a lock?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: