Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tonka Vikes Post Free Agency Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonkavikes27

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Tonka Vikes Post Free Agency Mock Reply with quote

Tonka Vikes Post FA Mock

Well as we inch closer to May, we are starting to get a general idea of what the team is looking for in potential players. The transition to Zimmer is leading us to look at more players who like to be physical, and excel at stopping the run first. After a very successful free agency where we were able to bring our stop-gap QB back, starting DE, and gain a starting Corner, who has the ability to play inside on nickel situations is a great start to the Zimmer regime, and leave flexibility in the draft.

Free Agent Signings
Everson Griffen DE - 5 yrs/42.5 million

Captain Munnerlyn CB - 3 yrs/11.25 million

Derek Cox CB - 1 yr/780k

Matt Cassel QB - 2yrs/10 million

NFL Draft
Going into the draft the Vikings are going to be in an interesting spot. Picking at 8, they will in all likelihood miss out on Khalil Mack, Jadeveon Clowney, and most likely Sammy Watkins. In terms of need the Vikings are still looking for their franchise QB, linebackers, a cornerback, a safety, and some depth on the defensive line. With 4 selections in the top 3 rounds, I think it is safe to say that Spielman and Co. will find us impact players right away.

With the 8th selection in the 2014 NFL Draft, The Minnesota Vikings select………Teddy Bridgewater QB/Louisville

We see Teddy start to slide, and when he falls to the 8th selection in the draft the Vikings don't hesitate to select their guy
(previous picks: Bortles(Hou), Robinson(Stl), Clowney(Jax), Watkins(Cle), Mack(Oak), Matthews(ATL), Evans(TB)

With the 40th selection in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select……LaMarcus Joyner S/Florida State
Joyner is one of my top three draft crushes this year, and with his versatility Zimmer is going to have a field day putting Joyner all over the field. Like I have stated before grabbing Joyner gives us a Centerfield type safety, and allows Harrison to play closer to the line and help in run support.
[/img]

With the 72nd Selection in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select……..DaMarcus Lawrence DE/OLB/Boise St.
Getting a guy with the versatility of Lawrence would be a major benefit to the Vikings. Someone with his athleticism will allow us to line him up as a SLB, and has the ability to kick down in a three point stance on nickel situations. Also adds much needed depth to the defensive line.

With the 96th selection in the 2014 NFL Draft the Minnesota Vikings select……..Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB/Nebraska
Even though we have signed two corners this offseason, there is no way the Vikings could pass up a talent like SJB. Drafting him gives us another physical boundary defender to pair with Rhodes, and allows Munnerlyn to stay inside where he is most successful.

With the 108th selection in the 2014 NFL Draft, The Minnesota Vikings select…….Jordan Zumwalt LB/UCLA
While he is not the most athletic player in the draft, he is probably one of the most physical. Zumwalt excels in the run game, using his length, and functional strength to shed blockers to make plays. I think this is the type of LB Zimmer will be looking for to be a potential starter some day, and at the very least a good special teams player.

With the 148th selection in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select…….Zach Kerr DT/Delaware
Kerr is underrated in my opinion to a lot o people in the draft community. While some of that comes from going to a lower level school, don't confuse the fact that this man can play. Grabbing Kerr gives us another rotational interior lineman, something that Zimmer has been known for through out the years.

With the 184th selection in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select…….Spencer Long OG/Nebraska
This guy has the talent to be slotted a couple rounds higher, but due to a knee injury he slide a little bit and the Vikings are the beneficiaries. Former Outland trophy finalist who could provide some solid depth on the line, and could eventually push either Baca/Ducasse/Johnson for the starting position.

With the 214th selection in the 2014 NFL Draft, The Minnesota Vikings select…..Zach Moore DE/University of Concordia St. Paul(MN)
Moore slides a little bit due to the level of competition that he faced, and like the Long pick the Vikings swoop him up. Moore has all the talent in the world to be successful in the NFL, and with some NFL coaching I think this could be one of the bigger steals in the draft.

Vikings Dream Draft:
1. Mack/Mosley
2. Joyner
3. Mettenberger
3. Billy Turner
4. Justin Ellis
johnandbentley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice draft, I wouldnt be disappointed. Love the first 4 picks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all those players fall to the vines and we don't take them I will be surprised. If Bridgewater or Bortels fall to 8 you have to take them. Love all the picks and I hope this is how the draft turns out but I don't think Bridgewater, Joyner, or SJB will be there at those picks.
jshowers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think SJB would lock down a starting spot on the boundary for us from day 1?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
You think SJB would lock down a starting spot on the boundary for us from day 1?

He definitely wouldnt be in a position to have to with two vets ahead of him in Munnerlyn and Cox.

Is SJB physical enough to play Safety? He has great size at 6-3 215.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
jshowers wrote:

He definitely wouldnt be in a position to have to with two vets ahead of him in Munnerlyn and Cox.

Is SJB physical enough to play Safety? He has great size at 6-3 215.

That's why I asked... Tonka said he would allow Munnerlyn to move inside but IMO Jean-Baptiste shouldn't be starting as a rookie. On our squad alone he would be behind Rhodes, Munnerlyn, Robinson, Cox, and possibly Sherels/Prater to start.

I'm not sure about his prospects as a safety. He has loose enough hips to play CB... Not sure he has the range and I instincts of a FS or the strength vs the run and tackling ability of an SS. I try him at CB first.
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any mock with Bridgewater is a mock I like.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good research on your husker picks I'm a die hard husker fan I'll be at the spring game on the 12th. Spencer long was our best lineman till he went out that was a big hit, it wouldn't surprise me if he took over the starting job probably not day one but in his first year. As for the SJB playing safety he would definately transition very well, he has very good range and ball skills. That being said I would be surprised if he doesn't start for some team in his first year at corner.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the linval signing? I love the draft pics tho overall very nice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple blood wrote:
Where is the linval signing? I love the draft pics tho overall very nice

Oops I knew that there was one missing from there! I will add it.

Jshow, I don't think right away he could be, was more speaking of where he projects. I do think he could get some solid run though, especially since cox is only on that one year prove it type deal. But I do think SJB has the potential to be a starter on the boundary at some point.

Vikings Dream Draft:
1. Mack/Mosley
2. Joyner
3. Mettenberger
3. Billy Turner
4. Justin Ellis
Duff Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Joyner more of the in-the-box, blitzing type safety? That's what he did at FSU iirc. Smith would be FS, and Joyner SS I assume.

Other than that minor qualm, the mock looks great. I would be PUMPED if it turned out like this. Unfortunately, Bridgewater isn't falling to us guys... I hope he does, but it won't happen.
tonkavikes27

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duff Man wrote:
Isn't Joyner more of the in-the-box, blitzing type safety? That's what he did at FSU iirc. Smith would be FS, and Joyner SS I assume.

Other than that minor qualm, the mock looks great. I would be PUMPED if it turned out like this. Unfortunately, Bridgewater isn't falling to us guys... I hope he does, but it won't happen.

Joyner can move all around, even though he is a little bit undersized he does not mind coming up and sticking his nose in there and making a tackle. That being said he has the range so that he would be able to play the centerfield role is Smith were to be playing closer to the line of scrimmage. Having played both safety and corner while at FSU (all american safety), it gives Zimmer versatility as to where he would like to line him up.

Vikings Dream Draft:
1. Mack/Mosley
2. Joyner
3. Mettenberger
3. Billy Turner
4. Justin Ellis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: