You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

how offensive of a line will we have this year...?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: how offensive of a line will we have this year...? Reply with quote

The Vikings have penciled in the same five offensive linemen on the first-team unit through the first four OTA practices.

Riley Reiff, an offseason free agent signing, has lined up at left tackle next to left guard Alex Boone, who is in his second season in Minnesota. Nick Easton has taken early reps at center, and Joe Berger has shifted over to right guard — a combination the Vikings used at the end of the 2016 season. Mike Remmers, another free agent acquisition, has been the first-team right tackle.

The Vikings second-team unit has been left tackle Rashod Hill, left guard Jeremiah Sirles, center Pat Elflein, right guard Zac Kerin and right tackle T.J. Clemmings.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/3-Observations-Offensive-Line-Combos-Kick-Returns--Defending-Passes/acaba64f-5f52-4368-93a8-710a13f309dd?sf83283886=1

Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: how offensive of a line will we have this year...? Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
The Vikings have penciled in the same five offensive linemen on the first-team unit through the first four OTA practices.

Riley Reiff, an offseason free agent signing, has lined up at left tackle next to left guard Alex Boone, who is in his second season in Minnesota. Nick Easton has taken early reps at center, and Joe Berger has shifted over to right guard — a combination the Vikings used at the end of the 2016 season. Mike Remmers, another free agent acquisition, has been the first-team right tackle.

The Vikings second-team unit has been left tackle Rashod Hill, left guard Jeremiah Sirles, center Pat Elflein, right guard Zac Kerin and right tackle T.J. Clemmings.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/3-Observations-Offensive-Line-Combos-Kick-Returns--Defending-Passes/acaba64f-5f52-4368-93a8-710a13f309dd?sf83283886=1

Allows for easy transition when Elflein passes Easton...don't have to worry about changing two positions

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to have the confirmation that Joe Berger is the RG.

Ideally, Reiff is probably more of a RT.

The line looks below average, but that's probably better than last year. This upcoming draft I expect us to target RG and LT early.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I anticipate bottom ten. The Vikes have a below average Tackle duo, a declining LG and uncertainty at C and RG. Overall, the unit doesn't look good on paper. I hope we can get decent play out of Reiff and Elflein. Both will be important players going forward.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I anticipate bottom ten. The Vikes have a below average Tackle duo, a declining LG and uncertainty at C and RG. Overall, the unit doesn't look good on paper. I hope we can get decent play out of Reiff and Elflein. Both will be important players going forward.

That's a little too pessimistic in my opinion. I expect competent play...and that's it..even if that's still bottom ten, that's okay, as you can still be competent even in the bottom ten. The preferable place to be in that bottom ten though is in the 23-24 spot. If they can get there, that'll be good enough with Bradford and with that defense.

Thx to Lil Uno!
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really glad they are just starting Berger at RG from Day 1 so they don't need to shuffle everyone around once Elflein starts at C.

I really wish we had another OT... Clemmings on the 2nd team makes me sad.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
I'm really glad they are just starting Berger at RG from Day 1 so they don't need to shuffle everyone around once Elflein starts at C.

I really wish we had another OT... Clemmings on the 2nd team makes me sad.

I'm okay with Clemmings being on the 2nd team. That's probably where he should have been all along, as he's never had any real time to develop (since he's only really been an offensive lineman for 4 years total between college and pros). He was thrust into a starting spot both years when he truly wasn't ready to do so.

I'm not throwing in the towel on him becoming solid depth at the position...he just shouldn't be starting. He's still only 25 years old, so he's got time. He's still got this year and next on his rookie contract, so we'll see where he's at then.

Thx to Lil Uno!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

That's a little too pessimistic in my opinion. I expect competent play...and that's it..even if that's still bottom ten, that's okay, as you can still be competent even in the bottom ten. The preferable place to be in that bottom ten though is in the 23-24 spot. If they can get there, that'll be good enough with Bradford and with that defense.

I pretty much had the same thoughts in my mind. Bottom ten but not a train wreck like last year. Which might just be good enough. I think the tackles will get exposed in pass protection but we may be a solid run blocking team.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Alex Boone deserves mentioning. He seems to be liked a lot here, due to his personality. I get the sense that others see him like they saw Jared Allen.

But Boone is no where near the player Allen was. He's more of a talker than a gamer it seems like at this point in his career.

I still think he has a few more years left in him, but we need to find someone to develop behind him. Hopefully Sirles or Isodara is that guy.

Does it bother anyone that none of our starters were drafted by the Vikings? What does it say about our GM?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Does it bother anyone that none of our starters were drafted by the Vikings? What does it say about our GM?

Arrow that he happened to acquire talent through free agency this time.

Arrow that Elflein will certainly be starting at some point, or is at least expected to be.

Arrow that other units, like the linebacker corp, are almost exclusively (except for Lamur) all Spielman draftees.

Arrow that you worry too much.

SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this offensive line has given me and plenty other Vikings fans enough to worry about Laughing

In general, I trust Spielman. He's made some questionable moves, but he's kept this team competitive every year mostly, but the OL is and has been for a while a question mark on this team.

Get that figured out and we could be serious contenders!

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the line will be marginally better. Injuries and consistency, of course, will be key. I'm not really a big fan of plugging Berger in as a starter at RG. Partly, because this is likely his last season, and also because I think Sirles is the better player.

Two things I'm fairly certain of:

1. The line won't be as improved as many fans think it will. A more realistic comparison might be with 2015's line, with Kalil at LT, Berger at center, Mike Harris, et al. It was BAD, and this line, on paper personnel wise, promises to be only a little better. Boone is not, was not, and will never be the player he was hyped to be. I don't even know where that massive load of BS came from. Remmers, too, may surprise people who watch nothing but Vikings' football with just how bad he is.

2. This notion that the line only needs to be a little better than it was last year, and the Vikings' offense could be phenomenal ... is ludicrous.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Well this offensive line has given me and plenty other Vikings fans enough to worry about Laughing

In general, I trust Spielman. He's made some questionable moves, but he's kept this team competitive every year mostly, but the OL is and has been for a while a question mark on this team.

Get that figured out and we could be serious contenders!

OL hasn't been prioritized in the draft for years under Spielman. We've spent 3 first round picks on QBs since 2011, and seem to have invested heavily in skill position and front seven players.

But we've also leaned heavily on vets Sullivan and Loadholt for years. Kalil was also regularly given the benefit of the doubt due to being a top 5 pick. Fusco looked promising at one point but LG has been a mess since Hutch left. Boone has been okay but not a player who will be a key cog going forward. MN hasn't had much opportunity to invest early picks into the OL and it has hurt the team in recent years (especially since early picks Waynes, Alexnder and Treadwell haven't emerged as starters).

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colorado Vike wrote:
2. This notion that the line only needs to be a little better than it was last year, and the Vikings' offense could be phenomenal ... is ludicrous.

i'm not seeing anyone say that.

our line was horrid last year, 32nd out of 32 teams. being a little bit better means were still atrocious.

Klomp

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OL needs to get considerably better in run blocking. That's why guys like Reiff, Remmers and Elflein were targeted. All are better run blockers than in pass protection. I believe we'll see a significant improvement there.

However, I don't think the pass protection needs a major tweak. Before I get jumped on, hear me out. What's Sam's snap-to-pass time, like 3 seconds? Obviously that will go up with passes farther downfield, but I don't think it will be much more than that. This isn't Norv's offense anymore. We won't have as many 7-step drops, so the guys don't have to hold their blocks as long as the past few years.

What does need to change is the elimination of the immediate pressures and the complete whiffs by Fusco, Clemmings, etc. I'm not too worried about that with these new guys.

They also are all guys who seem to be reliable in health. Another area the team needed significant improvement over last year.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: