Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Believe it or not....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jagz4life

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Believe it or not.... Reply with quote

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=250718113

The Yanks are leading the AL East with tonights win.....
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't last for long though. Because they face the Angels in a four game series, starting on Thursday. That will be four losses, or I hope they will be, and that should put the Boston Red Sox back in first place. I'm starting to like the chances of the Baltimore Orioles. If they get Mike Lowell and A.J. Burnett, I would give them the edge in the AL East by a slight margin over the Boston Red Sox.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
Panther55

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The yanks are the only division leader with a sub .500 record in their division.

Way to be.......mediocre.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
NateDawg

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate the yanks...basically because of steinbrenner...although he's an ohio state fan, he is ruining baseball. actually, bud selig is.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with pretty much everything that has been said here. The Yankees could be swept by the Angels because the Angels have hitting and pitching, and well, lets face it, the Yankees only have two reliable pitchers. Until Al Leiter puts up another good start, he's not yet their savior.

The Orioles chances are pretty solid in this division, especially if they add Burnett. Burnett and Bedard is a pretty solid 1-2 punch.

In terms of the Red Sox, I watched their game last night, and that was a mistake. They are going downhill fast and need to make a trade for something to change things up a bit. Their hitting looks awful, and they only mustered up 3 hits against Tampa. They really need Schilling back in the starting rotation.
BoKnowsFootball

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont see the Angels sweeping the Yankees. The Angels would have to put up some serious offensive #'s to sweep all 4 games with NY because the Yankees offensive is red hot.
PanthersIn05

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoKnowsFootball wrote:
I dont see the Angels sweeping the Yankees. The Angels would have to put up some serious offensive #'s to sweep all 4 games with NY because the Yankees offensive is red hot.

The Angels have a GREAT offensive team, and the Yankees pitching isn't great. They have two reliable starters and thats it. That being said, the Yankees offense is in a place it's never been with this group. They are hitting everything, and their offense is scary. It should be a great series.
Yankees05

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoKnowsFootball wrote:

Yeah, especially when they took 3 of 4 at Boston.
Panther55 wrote:
The yanks are the only division leader with a sub .500 record in their division.

I don't think the Yankees are mediocre. If you do, you must think everyone else with a worse record is worse than them (such as Boston, Baltimore, Minnesota and Texas). By the way, since their horrible 11-19 start, the Yankees are 39-22. They will improve on their division record, and it will be well above .500 by season's end.
hardrockin89

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The yanks have to have an excellent trade deadline to be in contention...If not they wont stand a chance in the East to win it...

Thanx Butters1075 for the sig..
Yankees05

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about everyone stops awarding the AL East crown to the Red Sox with 70 games left. The Yankees are in 1st place with 3 starters right now, so when they get Pavano and Wang back, they have a real chance of winning the division. Stop writting of the division leader...

Last edited by Yankees05 on Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take my chances with the Angels pitching at home against the Yankees hitting on the road. There's only three players in the current Yankees every day lineup who are hitting over .271 on the road. They are Robinson Cano, Hideki Matsui, and Gary Sheffield. That's it. Jorge Posada is hitting .263, A-Rod is hitting .252, Derek Jeter is hitting .238, and Jason Giambi is hitting .236. Wow, that's something really to worry about for the Angels. They're going to send up Bartolo Colon, John Lackey, Ervin Santana, and Jarrod Washburn against Randy Johnson, Mike Mussina, and who? Only one of those four Angels starters has an ERA over 4.00 at home this season, and that's Jarrod Washburn. Ervin Santana is 4-2 at home with a 3.86 ERA. John Lackey is 2-3 at home with a 3.78 ERA. And Bartolo Colon is 4-4 at home with a 3.44 ERA.

Mike Mussina got rocked against the Angels when they faced eachother earlier this season. He went 7 innings, gave up 5 runs, 2 HRs, 1 walk, and only struck out 2 to earn himself a 6.43 ERA.

Bartolo Colon got shelled in his only meeting with the Yankees this season. He went only 3 2/3 innings, gave up 10 runs, but only 5 of those 10 runs were earned. He gave up 3 HRs, walked 5, and only struck out 3. He earned himself an ERA of 12.27. Those are not Colon numbers, especially when you consider that 5 of those 10 runs were unearned.

Jarrod Washburn was great in his meeting with the Yankees this season. He went 7 2/3 innings, gave up just 1 run on a HR, walked 2, struck out 4, and got the win. He earned an ERA of 1.17.

John Lackey did very well in his start against the Yankees earlier this season. He went 5 1/3 innings, allowed 1 run, walked 3, struck out 5, got the win, and has an ERA of 1.69 against the Yankees for this season.

For their careers, Jarrod Washburn is an excellent pitcher against the Yankees. He has a 3-1 career record with a 2.55 ERA. Bartolo Colon is average against the Yankees, and John Lackey hasn't done so well against them.

Should be a good series, but the Angels will win this series.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
PanthersIn05

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yankees05 wrote:
BoKnowsFootball wrote:

Yeah, especially when they took 3 of 4 at Boston.
Panther55 wrote:

I don't think the Yankees are mediocre. If you do, you must think everyone else with a worse record is worse than them (such as Boston, Baltimore, Minnesota and Texas). By the way, since their horrible 11-19 start, the Yankees are 39-22. They will improve on their division record, and it will be well above .500 by season's end.

In response to the 3 out of 4 from the Red Sox, their team is in shambles. I watched their game against TB last night, they have so many issues. After watching that game, it made the Yankees wins look less impressive. The Red Sox will get hot, no doubt, and they will make additions and so on, but right now they are awful. They are so undisciplined at the plate. This is where all their problems start. Everyone can talk about their pitching problems till the cows come home, but when you look at it, their offense is killing them. They have two great, i mean, great hitters in Ortiz and Manny. After that, it's hit or miss. It all depends on whether or not those guys are hot or not.

When you compare the Yankees, here's the difference. Kevin Millar has been batting fifth in that lineup. He has 4 HRs and 33 RBIs. Matsui bats fifth for the yankees, and he has over 70 RBIs and over 15 HRs ( not sure of exact stats). Now I'm not sure what Millar's problem is, maybe he just sucks, that's a possibility, but either way, their offense now is just no good. Every guy in their lineup swings for the fences and there's only 3 legit HR hitters in it. If they don't start playing better and smarter, they will finish 3rd in this division.
Yankees05

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Yankees will have any trouble scoring runs in this series. In July, Giambi is hitting .375, Sheffiled is at .358. Cano is hitting .355, and Matsui is at .339. Jeter is in a slump right now, but he should turn it around by Thursday. Rodriguez is only hitting .235 this month, but he has 6 HR and a .608 SLG. I think the July numbers are more important than the road numbers because it shows how they have been playing latley. The Yankees will definitley win the game when Santana pitches. He is a young pitcher who is very inexperienced. Did you see what they did last night against Rodriguez of Texas? They rocked that guy. I'm not saying he is exactly like Santana, but both pitchers will be taken advantage of by the Yankees' savvy hitting. I say this series is a split, 2-2.
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas is a hitter's ballpark. Anaheim is not at all close to Texas in terms of offensive output. Santana is a far better pitcher at home, and at night. Guess what, he's going to be starting at home and at night. The Angels have one of the best, if not the best, game-calling catcher's behind the plate which will help keep Santana calm.

When Ervin Santana goes just 5 innings, he's 4-0, with one no-decision. His ERA for those games? Well, it's only 1.47. In the games where's gone less then 5 innings, he's 0-4 with a 18.93 ERA. So if he gets past the 5th inning, it's lights out for the opposition.

On top of that, the Angels have the 4th best ERA in baseball, and the best bullpen in baseball. The Yankees, on the other hand, rank 22nd in team ERA. To put this into perspective, the Tigers, Blue Jays, Mariners, and Orioles all have a better team ERA then the Yankees. The only teams better then the Angels are the Cardinals, White Sox, and Twins. Also, the Angels rank 3rd in baseball in Ks Per 9 from their pitchers. Funny thing is, the Angels are the only AL team that ranks in the top five when it comes to that. The Angels lead the AL in Ks Per 9. The Yankees, well they rank 5th in the AL, but 14th in baseball all together. The Angels rank 7th in baseball when it comes to team WHIP. Yet, they rank 5th in the AL when it comes to that. They rank behind the Twins, Indians, White Sox, and A's in team WHIP. The Yankees rank 22nd in team WHIP in baseball, and they rank 11th in the AL in team WHIP. The only teams the Yankees are better then in that department, are the Rangers, Royals, and Devil Rays. Pretty elite company. Also, take into account that the Angels have thrown the most innings in the AL this season, with 834.0. The beautiful thing though, is that the Angels rank 4th in Batting Average Against in the AL. The Yankees, well they rank 12th in the AL in that department. Ahead of only the Devil Rays and Royals.

Looks a great pitching series to me.

as11osu wrote:
PanthersIn05

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yankees05 wrote:
I don't think the Yankees will have any trouble scoring runs in this series. In July, Giambi is hitting .375, Sheffiled is at .358. Cano is hitting .355, and Matsui is at .339. Jeter is in a slump right now, but he should turn it around by Thursday. Rodriguez is only hitting .235 this month, but he has 6 HR and a .608 SLG. I think the July numbers are more important than the road numbers because it shows how they have been playing latley. The Yankees will definitley win the game when Santana pitches. He is a young pitcher who is very inexperienced. Did you see what they did last night against Rodriguez of Texas? They rocked that guy. I'm not saying he is exactly like Santana, but both pitchers will be taken advantage of by the Yankees' savvy hitting. I say this series is a split, 2-2.

The Yankees will definitely score their runs, but you have to admit, they will be hammered as well. They should have lost last night if Texas had half a bullpen.

And in regards to that guy Rodriguez, he SUCKED. Let's not kid ourselves here, he was no great pitcher. He should have been serving hot dogs in the stands. You can't be psyched about beating that guy, especially when you gave up 10.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: