Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pete Rose, HOF...yes or no?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Pete Rose in the hall of fame?
yes
77%
 77%  [ 21 ]
no
22%
 22%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 27

NateDawg

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Pete Rose, HOF...yes or no? Reply with quote

should pete rose be in the hall of fame?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's the all-time hits leader, so yes he should be in the Hall of Fame. He was going to go into the Hall of Fame as a player, not a manager. So I don't think that him betting on baseball, as a manager, should have any influence as to whether or not he makes the Hall of Fame. He didn't do it as a player, which is how he was going to make the Hall of Fame.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
2105 yards

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is really no argument for keeping him out...I don't understand why baseball doesn't just say "we'll put you on the ballot but you can never work in baseball again" That solves the entire dilemma because the only issue going forward would be if Pete would ever gamble on baseball again and if there is even a small chance then he has to be out of the game...but let him in to the hall...he's earned it.
the lone star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i say let him in. All-time hits leader, and like Big Ben already pointed out, he bet on baseball as a manager and will prolly go in as a player. You can't keep him out of the HOF.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

put him in, keep him out. he produced as a player like bigben said. he jeopardized the game's integrity as a manager. he was one of the best pure hitters in the game and it is a travesty for him not to be in the hall of fame. i did a 12 page research project on this controversy this year, i could go on and on...but i won't.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he shouldn't have admitted to betting on the game. as long as he denied it, there was always a chance that he didn't. and you couldn't keep him out as long as you didn't know FOR SURE that he did it.
Riddle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

definatly, regardless of betting on games...look at his accomplishments...i mean, babe ruth is in...he corked his bats (first known player ever to do so...)...and did numerous questionable things off the feild to...prostitutes, gambling, all kinds of smoking...everybody holds him up like some kind of hero, but then gets upset at todays players that get in trouble at clubs and stuff...he was no better

EDIT:
woah, sorry, went off on a tangent there, i realized this SHOULD be about rose...as i said, yes, he should be in...all time career hits leader...enough said.

Here's to football!

Ndakasimba kana makasimbawo
Hawkeye 5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted yes. His achievements on the field as a player make it so. Since so many people have issue with it then maybe they should put him in, list his records on his plaque and at the bottom of it - tell the rest of the story but you just cant not have him in there. I will say Pete didnt do himself any favors trying to win people by lying forever about it. He should have come clean when he had the chance instead of using it as a book selling tool

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought of something. I don't think that Pete Rose will get voted into the Hall of Fame, while he's alive. I bet you that the second he passes away, he'll get in.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
sandtrapjack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely not, do not let him in regardless of his stats. Whether as a player or as a manager what he did as a professional was inexcusable. Remember he was a PROFESSIONAL baseball player, not a high school standout. It is my belief that the HOF means as much about integrity as it does to performance. And with his book, he now admits to lying also.

You could make an arguement that players already in the HOF have had questionable actions while playing the game. Babe Ruth was a womanizer and a party animal, but that was not in direct neglect for the rules and the LAW. Ty Cobb (and you think Kenny Rogers is bad), would SHARPEN his spikes before games and admitted to INTENTIONALLY spiking players in the leg when he was stealing bases. Cobb was absolutley the meanest SOB to ever suit up. But what he did was not ILLEGAL in most states.

NOw if baseball could approach the steroid issue like they do gambling, that would be something to see.

Sorry Pete, you made yuor bed and have to keep sleeping in it.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hall of Fame is not directly connected with Major League Baseball, therefore I say yes, his ban should be upheld within Major League Baseball, but Cooperstown, no.

NateDawg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing about pete rose making the hall of fame is that not only now does selig have to let him back in, but then 75% of the members have to vote on his allowance. He would probably get more than half the votes, but I'm not sure about 75%. It could be a while or never 'til he makes it even if Selig would let him back in.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18399

I think he should be inducted into the Hall of Fame, but his plaque should state his actions against the game. I know he is a criminal in society and towards baseball, but America is about second chances, and he admitted his mistakes (all be it to sell a book). Plus, leaving out a legend like him makes me feel unsettled about the HOF.
BoKnowsFootball

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I say no, compromising the intergrity of the game of baseball is probably the worst thing you can do to the game. His disregard for the rules and his lack of respect for the game in general, IMO, is far more important than what he did on the field. If he would have handled the situation differently over the years I may have had another opinion

Thats what I previously posted so I jsut copied it over from the old thread.
2105 yards

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yankees05 wrote:

I think he should be inducted into the Hall of Fame, but his plaque should state his actions against the game. I know he is a criminal in society and towards baseball, but America is about second chances, and he admitted his mistakes (all be it to sell a book). Plus, leaving out a legend like him makes me feel unsettled about the HOF.

I disagree completely with putting anything about gambling on his plaque...Mickey Mantle's plaque doesn't mention he played hung over alot of the time...Gaylord Perry's says nothing about him being a spit ball artist...and I'm sure Mark McGwire's will say nothing about his steroid use...so why should Pete be singled out???...I'm not excusing anything he did but if you do it for one you gotta do it for all of them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: