Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rangers pushing Blue Jays in attempt to trade for CF Wells

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Big7BenMVP


Joined: 23 Nov 2004
Posts: 93783
Location: Camarillo, CA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Rangers pushing Blue Jays in attempt to trade for CF Wells Reply with quote

Quote:
According to the Toronto Sun, the Rangers have pushed the Blue Jays hard to trade center fielder Vernon Wells, an Arlington native. This was Toronto GM J.P. Ricciardi's response: "We're not trading him."


Link: Rangers pushing Blue Jays in attempt to trade for CF Wells
_________________

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
2105 yards


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 8415
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I make this deal is for Mark Texeira...THE ONLY WAY. PERIOD!!!...Wells is worth nothing less...BTW why are the Rangers wasting their time trying to trade for more offense???...NEWSFLASH John Hart...YOU NEED PITCHING!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Gnat


Moderator
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 36047
Location: Minneapolis
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even know why they are going after Wells, he is obviously one of the players that they won't trade. If they, the Bluejays, are having second thoughts about trading Hillenbrand, why in the world would they trade Wells.
_________________
Gnat's Movie Reviews

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncosfan_101


FF Fanatic
Moderator
Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Posts: 13020
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's not mark teixiera, i'm not even the slightest bit interested. and even then i'd be sad to see vernon go.
_________________
big_palooka wrote:
Lomax taking home the MVP. Good choice. Solid poster and BP hater Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 27937
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it wouldn't be bad to have Vernon Wells as we need a better hitter in the lineup than Richard Hidalgo, but it's very unlikely we'll land Wells, and even then why in the world are we more interested in obtaining him than a guy like Schmidt? We need pitching, and that's quite obvious as we have given up @ least 6 runs in 0 of our last 10 games. We need more help from our bullpen and need another productive starter.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yankees05


Joined: 21 Mar 2005
Posts: 7116
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is everyone saying the Rangers don't need Vernon Wells? Their everyday CF, Laynce Nix, recently went on the DL. Their replacement right now is Gary Matthews Jr. He is having a bad season, as he is only hitting .242, and has an OBP of .285, which is atrocious. On the other hand, Wells is hitting .271 with 18 HR and 52 RBI. When people say the Rangers need pitching, they can't get enough of it this season in order to make a strong staff, so they might as well pile up sluggers in order to try to outscore other teams, because that is what they are going to have to do to win in the next few years until they develop some pitching.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Panther55


Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Posts: 1692
Location: North VA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is Laynce Nix scheduled to return from the DL. I think the rangers would like to know because if I had a young switchhitting CF with good defensive skills and an excellent bat, I don't think that I would be inquiring about Wells to hard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
2105 yards


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 8415
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yankees05 wrote:
Why is everyone saying the Rangers don't need Vernon Wells? Their everyday CF, Laynce Nix, recently went on the DL. Their replacement right now is Gary Matthews Jr. He is having a bad season, as he is only hitting .242, and has an OBP of .285, which is atrocious. On the other hand, Wells is hitting .271 with 18 HR and 52 RBI. When people say the Rangers need pitching, they can't get enough of it this season in order to make a strong staff, so they might as well pile up sluggers in order to try to outscore other teams, because that is what they are going to have to do to win in the next few years until they develop some pitching.


You mean exactly the way the Yankees are built right???...That's not the way to build a team at all...The teams that are consistebtly good are the ones built around pitching and defense i.e. Angels, Twins, Braves...just like the Yankees used to be when they were winning titles...but now The Boss wants all the sluggers and now the pitching and defense are in the toilet...yah yah I know the Yanks are in 1st place but I'm not entirely sure how long that will last with the current roster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gbpackfan


Joined: 03 Jul 2005
Posts: 881
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this trade happened, I would go down to Riccardi office and beat him with a baseball bat, wells is very popular here and to lose him is losing the face of the franchise, we got rid of delgado so he could take over, not so we could trade him...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 27937
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panther55 wrote:
When is Laynce Nix scheduled to return from the DL. I think the rangers would like to know because if I had a young switchhitting CF with good defensive skills and an excellent bat, I don't think that I would be inquiring about Wells to hard.


they put him on the 15-day DL on the 15th so he could be back by the end of this month. But sadly, he isn't a switchhitter, but yes, he is a great prospect. He's been struggling a bit tho, as he's a .240 hitter with 6 HRs and 32 RBIs in 63 games. When we called him up he was doing the things we wanted him to do, but then he cooled off. He then heated up for a little while, but he got injured.

but Vernon Wells would be a nice pickup for the team as we could use his glove @ Center and his bat would be very useful at times. he could replace the now struggling Richard Hidalgo in the lineup and would likely bat in the 5th or 6th slot.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yankees05


Joined: 21 Mar 2005
Posts: 7116
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2105 yards wrote:
You mean exactly the way the Yankees are built right???...That's not the way to build a team at all...The teams that are consistebtly good are the ones built around pitching and defense i.e. Angels, Twins, Braves...just like the Yankees used to be when they were winning titles...but now The Boss wants all the sluggers and now the pitching and defense are in the toilet...yah yah I know the Yanks are in 1st place but I'm not entirely sure how long that will last with the current roster.

Which way do you think the Rangers will be more competitive this year? Adding one quality pitcher or a bat to make their lineup dominant. One pitcher doesn't make a huge difference to a team with a 4.88 team ERA. You need more than two quality pitchers (Rogers) to have a good staff. Did you even read what I said? I said they should develop pitching in the next few years. Just because pitching wins titles doesn't mean you neglect a potent offense like they have. And what do the Yankees have to do with this discussion?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncosfan_101


FF Fanatic
Moderator
Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Posts: 13020
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yankees05 wrote:
And what do the Yankees have to do with this discussion?


take it easy. he was just making a comparison. i'm pretty sure it's just a coincidence that a yankees fan made the original comment.
_________________
big_palooka wrote:
Lomax taking home the MVP. Good choice. Solid poster and BP hater Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yankees05


Joined: 21 Mar 2005
Posts: 7116
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan_101 wrote:
Yankees05 wrote:
And what do the Yankees have to do with this discussion?

take it easy. he was just making a comparison. i'm pretty sure it's just a coincidence that a yankees fan made the original comment.

I didn't mean it threatingly. I just wanted to know why he brought them in the discussion. That's all...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
2105 yards


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 8415
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yankees05 wrote:
2105 yards wrote:
You mean exactly the way the Yankees are built right???...That's not the way to build a team at all...The teams that are consistebtly good are the ones built around pitching and defense i.e. Angels, Twins, Braves...just like the Yankees used to be when they were winning titles...but now The Boss wants all the sluggers and now the pitching and defense are in the toilet...yah yah I know the Yanks are in 1st place but I'm not entirely sure how long that will last with the current roster.

Which way do you think the Rangers will be more competitive this year? Adding one quality pitcher or a bat to make their lineup dominant. One pitcher doesn't make a huge difference to a team with a 4.88 team ERA. You need more than two quality pitchers (Rogers) to have a good staff. Did you even read what I said? I said they should develop pitching in the next few years. Just because pitching wins titles doesn't mean you neglect a potent offense like they have. And what do the Yankees have to do with this discussion?


The Rangers have been trying to develop pitching for a long time now without much success whatsoever...now they have been able to cultivate a ton of hitters so when you can't develop your own guys you need to trade soem of yours to get some of theirs...Free agency is also an option and I know they got burned big time by Chan Ho Park but you have to keep trying...teams that try to outslug people don't win...the Rangers are the prime example of this...I do think one very good pitcher could very well turn Texas around...think of what Clemens alone could do for them all around...but since he's not available there are certainly other options...why isn't Texas rumored in any of those deals???...another bat is definitely not what they need...You only have so many chances to win with certain teams and Texas IMO can't wait another 2-3 years to develop pitching...they have a playoff ready offense so get some pitchers to help complement that...as for the Yanks...the only reason I brought them up is because I think they are built the same way this season...all offense and very suspect pitching and defense...yesterdays 11-10 game supports that...if it came off as a dig against the Yanks I didn't mean it that way just that I saw a parallel between them and the Rangers IMO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group