Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

minutemancl 2016 Giants mock offseason
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minutemancl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: minutemancl 2016 Giants mock offseason Reply with quote

Full disclaimer, I'm not very good with cap numbers and such. Don't have the effort to do serious math for mock offseason football in January. For new FA signings, just imagine a decent contract at market value. Then add a couple million extra because that's how JR rolls Laughing
This will most likely go through a couple iterations before I'm entirely happy with it. Enjoy the first draft for now.

2016 Giants Coaching Staff
Head Coach- Ben Mcadoo

Offensive Coordinator- Mike Sullivan

Defensive Coordinator- Steve Spagnuolo

2016 Giants Unrestricted Free Agents
JPP- walk
Someone is going to overpay, and it won't be us.

Prince Amukamara- resign
Flip-flopped a lot on this one. The CB FA group offers no true upgrade over Prince, except Norman who will be franchised. Stick with the guy who has expressed interest in staying and might take a bit less money.

Robert Ayers- resign
Getting up there in age, but he's been great every game he actually plays in. He's not going to get paid anywhere else really, either.

Cullen Jenkins- walk
He might retire honestly. Too much cap space for a guy who isn't in future plans.

Trumaine McBride- walk
I like Tru, but the coaches don't seem to. Can't seem him coming back.

Josh Brown- resign
Been nearly perfect. If he feels he can keep playing, no reason to go find another kicker

Zak Deossie- walk
Deossie's time comes to an end here. His snaps have been getting worse year after year. He's great in punt coverage, but that's not a reason for a guy to be making as much money as he does.

George Selvie- walk
Has been phased out of defensive gameplan. He's essentially an older, more expensive Kerry Wynn.

Rueben Randle- walk
Please leave.

Jayron Hosley- walk
Never caught on.

Brandon Mosley- walk
Bust

Dallas Reynolds- walk
He's decent depth, but can and should be replaced with someone younger

Markus Kuhn- walk
Finally

Daniel Fells- retires
What a great guy. Hope we bring him on in some coaching capacity

Craig Dahl- walk
In this mock offseason, you will see I have the coaching staff changing entirely. Dahl was brought in because he is familiar with Spags. Not gonna help under a new regime.

Jasper Brinkley- resign
What a godsend. A MLB that will play in the games and actually fill gaps.

Brandon Meriweather- walk
Stop gap player walks

Hakeem Nicks- walk

2016 Giants Restricted Free Agents

Larry Donnell- Tendered
Not saying much, but best all around TE on the roster

Brad Wing- Tendered
Should sign to a longer deal as well

Will Tye- Tendered
Filled in admirably. Lots of room to grow.

Bennett Jackson- Tendered
One more chance for Jackson who shined this past preseason

Marcus "Soup" Harris- Tendered
Please. I love me some Soup. Hopefully he can stay healthy

Montori Hughes- Tendered
Gained a lot of starting time towards the end of the season and looked capable

Cooper Taylor- Tendered
Cheap tender, need at least one other S to stay on the roster besides Landon

Jerome Cunningham- Not Tendered
Hasn't panned out, Tye is the proven better receiving threat.

Adam Gettis- Tendered
Depth

James Morris- Not Tendered
Who?

Orleans Darkwa - Tendered
If there is 1 RB on our roster who has the potential to be a bell cow back, it's Darkwa. He needs to be brought back.

2016 Giants Cuts/Transactions/Restructures

Jon Beason- Cut
Injuries have caught up with him. It's a shame, but he's done.

Victor Cruz- Restructured
He'll stay a Giant, but with an incentive laden contract. Everyone knows it is coming and it will get done this way.

Geoff Schwartz- Cut
Not the player we expected to get when we signed him. Need to move on at this point. He already restructured last year. He's not going to do so again.

Will Beatty- Cut
Getting paid LT money when that position has been invested in heavily. Not a part of future plans.

Again, not getting into specific numbers, but each one of these restructures/cuts saves us money (altogether, a lot of it) as the dead money hit is less than the savings we get. Added on to the cap space we originally had plus the savings we carry over from JPP's holdout plus the cap raising in 2016, and we have a lot of money to spend. A really, really decent amount. So let's get to free agency.

2016 Giants Free Agency

Giants sign OT Bobby Massie to a 4-year deal
I talk with and follow Brandon Thorn, a football scout on twitter who specializes in offensive linemen, from time to time. What he's seen combined with what I've seen lets me believe that Massie is an ideal RT for us. Instantly fills a need, and he should absolutely be available, as AZ has invested a draft pick to replace him.

Giants sign WR Mohamed Sanu to a 3-year deal
WR depth is a desperate need, whether Cruz comes back healthy or not. Sanu can be a good #2 compliment and can also line up just about anywhere in Mcadoo's offense because of his QB background.

Giants sign TE Dwayne Allen to a 3-year deal
We need a TE who can actually block. Donnell and Tye offer good things as TEs, but good blocking isn't one. Allen was regulated to blocking TE duties a lot in Indy and can also catch. Offers more versatility for the offense.

Giants sign OT Donald Penn to a 2-year deal
Swing and depth at tackle. Desperately needed.

Giants sign DE Olivier Vernon to a 5-year deal
This is the big one. Gonna have to give him a fortune, but it has to happen. And we can afford it. Played amazing this past year, especially rushing the passer. We need what he offers, and Miami has no cap room to retain him. We have to steal him away and give him whatever he wants.

Giants sign DE William Hayes to a 2-year deal
William Hayes was more or less buried on the Rams depth chart because of how much talent they have at DE and his age, but man Hayes can play. He is nasty at getting to the QB. He comes in as a rotational pass rusher.

Giants sign S Eric Weddle to a 1-year deal
It's no secret that Weddle is not on good terms with the Chargers. Bring him in as a rotational safety and mentor to all of our young guys at the position.

2016 Giants Draft (4 rounds)

With the their first round pick, the New York Giants select...

Myles Jack, LB UCLA
Playmakers are needed all over the defense and the entire unit needs to be rebuilt. Brinkley seems to have a command over the middle of the defense, so the pick goes to Jack to man the weakside. Jack is a fantastic athlete, phenomenal in coverage, and a playmaker on defense that we so desperately need.

With their second round pick, the New York Giants select...

Jonathan Bullard, DL Florida
Bullard is a jack of all trades type of DL. Stout against the run and athletic enough and has a high enough motor to get to the quarterback. This is a pick where we are looking for our next Justin Tuck- someone who can line up everywhere along the line and be effective.

With their third round pick, the New York Giants select...

Darian Thompson, S Boise State
Address all 3 levels of the defense in our first 3 picks. Thompson is a centerfield type safety with a knack for getting interceptions. He's also not afraid to tackle. Would compliment Collins perfectly and allow him to play more towards the LOS.

With their fourth round pick, the New York Giants select...

Aaron Burbridge, WR Michigan State
Notice a trend with these picks? All big school guys. JR isn't taking any risks on raw athletic freaks from the middle of nowhere. Burbridge broke out this year and was very impressive. Had very reliable hands and showed he could make catches in traffic. Translates well to a #2 WR.

That's all I've got so far. I'll have a full draft as it comes closer to draft time.

1st yr head coaches rarely see success their 1st yr, if at all.
Gmen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am strongly opposed to letting JPP walk. That kind of talent doesn't grow on trees. Neither Ayers nor Vernon are even in the same class.

I like the Myles pick though.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
mattbags2313

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
I am strongly opposed to letting JPP walk. That kind of talent doesn't grow on trees. Neither Ayers nor Vernon are even in the same class.

Agreed. JPP shouldnt be leaving. FA is a little weak but still good.

JAck most likely wont be there
Go_Giants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with his high sack total Ayers will be wanting more than we are willing to pay him.

With the hand issues I don't see a high demand for JPP, can see us resigning him.

Are you sure the Dolphins will let go of Olivier Vernon and not use the Franchise tag on him? Perhaps Mario Williams is a more realistic option.

I agree a ton about letting Ruben Randle go, I can't believe some people on this board want him back.

Who do you have as the Giants starting right guard?
bagh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:

This isn't the JPP from 2 years ago. This is the JPP playing with one hand, who just had another surgery on his hand the other day. I don't think those two versions are comparable.

Yes, he still showed some of the same burst he had before the injury, but when he got to the QB, how often did we see him unable to finish because he couldn't grasp the QB as firmly with his injured hand?

If JPP does come back, I give him a short term incentive laden deal. Some may not agree, but be honest, can anyone say they know exactly what to expect?

As for this Mock Draft, I am actually in 100% agreement with minuteman in terms of the decisions he suggested for our own guys.

However, I don't think we will be making that many impact free agent signings. I see maybe one big free agent, 2 or 3 smaller ones. I don't think Weedle will take a one year deal. He will probably be looking to get a 4 year deal and expect a front loaded contract and to get by year 3 given his age.
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the "let JPP go unless we do a one-year type deal" camp. He can put pressure, but needs to show he can close now with the hand issues. He might be overpaid by a team with crazy cap space like Jacksonville or Oakland. I like this mock overall. I'm a fan of both the FA and Draft overall. I don't think maybe a guy like Penn would take a swing role, but I understand the reasoning. Hayes is a nice rotational piece. I like Thompson and having Weddle would allow him to grow. I'd be happy if this happened irl.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:

Vernon is the highest rated defensive player on the market (by PFF), higher than players like Von Miller, Derek Wolfe, and Malik Jackson to name a few.

He's elite against the run, and good rushing the passer. He'd be an excellent replacement for JPP.
mattbags2313

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice_Dude_2008 wrote:
Gmen wrote:

Vernon is the highest rated defensive player on the market (by PFF), higher than players like Von Miller, Derek Wolfe, and Malik Jackson to name a few.

He's elite against the run, and good rushing the passer. He'd be an excellent replacement for JPP.

he has also played across from cameron wake his whole career. Is he ready to be the premier guy? not sold on that. I want him paired with JPP.

IDC about ratings, I'd much rather have miller.
minutemancl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattbags2313 wrote:
Ice_Dude_2008 wrote:
Gmen wrote:

he has also played across from cameron wake his whole career. Is he ready to be the premier guy? not sold on that. I want him paired with JPP.

Vernon indisputably had his best year ever this past year, one in which Cameron Wake played in all of 7 games. The only possible knock on Vernon is that he played well because it is a contract year for him, which is possible, but I don't think he's a guy to cash in. Vernon was exceptionally good this year.

mattbags2313

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
mattbags2313 wrote:
Ice_Dude_2008 wrote:
Gmen wrote:

Vernon indisputably had his best year ever this past year, one in which Cameron Wake played in all of 7 games. The only possible knock on Vernon is that he played well because it is a contract year for him, which is possible, but I don't think he's a guy to cash in. Vernon was exceptionally good this year.

Vernon's best year was 2013 lol he had 11.5 sacks that year. He played a little more than half a season without wake as opposed to playing with wake his whole career. You're basing it off a very small sample size

Don't get me wrong I like the guy a lot. But who plays across from him? I think we would be smart to pay him and then give JPP a reasonable deal. Imagine a d-line with JPP, Hankins (whoever is next to hankins as long as its not kuhn we a re a better team) and vernon. Consider a young OO who looked good when healthy, then whoever we draft. Sounds good to me
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well put together and thought out. Sentimentally, I don't want to see JPP go but I think it is the right decision. He can't wrap to tackle whether on sacks or RBs. shedding blocks is also hindered even if he on some occasions shoot loose. Continuing to have him on the roster only prevents us from getting someone who can contribute more consistently. It's too important a position and the weakest part of the defense to gamble on.

At least for me, the price for Prince is what is critical. I don't think that Prince is a 6+MM a year player. And if they will re-sign him for that kind of money I think it would be a mistake. I like Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, love Casey Heyward (slot) as I don't think GB re-signs him, Nolan Carrol (before got hurt) who are a bit more playmakers and have catch-up speed and don't get burned as often as Prince.

Love the draft. Love the fact that you've addressed the OLine with reinforcements.

Nice job. That would be a really good offseason.

Desperado82 wrote:
I will never defend Romo again. I'm done. We may only have a shot at the playoffs or what have you because of him, but he will NEVER put us over the hump.
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattbags2313 wrote:
minutemancl wrote:
mattbags2313 wrote:
Ice_Dude_2008 wrote:
Gmen wrote:

Vernon's best year was 2013 lol he had 11.5 sacks that year. He played a little more than half a season without wake as opposed to playing with wake his whole career. You're basing it off a very small sample size

Don't get me wrong I like the guy a lot. But who plays across from him? I think we would be smart to pay him and then give JPP a reasonable deal. Imagine a d-line with JPP, Hankins (whoever is next to hankins as long as its not kuhn we a re a better team) and vernon. Consider a young OO who looked good when healthy, then whoever we draft. Sounds good to me

Why are you so certain JPP will be a premier guy but skeptical about Vernon?
mattbags2313

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
mattbags2313 wrote:
minutemancl wrote:
mattbags2313 wrote:
Ice_Dude_2008 wrote:
Gmen wrote:

Why are you so certain JPP will be a premier guy but skeptical about Vernon?

No no no. Iím saying Iím hoping we get a friendly enough deal with JPP to allow us to go after Vernon as well. But JPP proved this season he can still be force, and heís only going to get better. Those sacks that ayers got should be credited to JPP stat wise because JPP is the only reason Ayers was getting there.
minutemancl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^That's not even true in the slightest.

mattbags2313

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutemancl wrote:
^^That's not even true in the slightest.

Really? Because weeks 1-8 when JPP was out he had 1 sack. Weeks 9-17 when JPP played he had 8......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: