Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is this Eli's last year in Big Blue?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is this Eli's last year as QB of the New York Giants?
Yes
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 8 ]
To early to tell
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 16

Shockey1979

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Is this Eli's last year in Big Blue? Reply with quote

I'm more and more starting to come to the opinion that this will be Eli's last season as the QB of the New York Football Giants. According to Sportstrac:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/eli-manning/

The 2015 season will see him carry a cap hit of $19,750,000 but only a dead money hit of $2.25M.

- He will be turning 34 this upcoming January and halfway to 35 at the start of next season.
- Nassib is a better fit for Macadoo's West Coast style offensive scheme, plus he has just looked overall way more comfortable running Macadoo's offense this far.
- $20M in cap savings could be used in bringing in a true #1 receiver or TE via free agency

I haven't seen any articles talking about the Giants possibly parting ways. Maybe I am just early to the party, or am I just crazy? I dunno.

I think if Eli stinks it up again it's almost a certainty they part ways. But say Eli plays well this season do the Giants resign him at 34-35 years old with a young promising QB sitting behind him?

"Sundown, you better take care... if I find you been creepin' round my back stairs"
w4rrior723

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you are crazy at all. It's definitely a real possibility and pretty likely if Eli has another sub-par season. If he throws 20 INT's again I can't see the FO swallowing his cap hit.

If he has another poor year and we miss the play-offs I could see us taking a QB early in the draft to compete with Nassib for the job. I'm just as excited as the rest of you about the last couple of weeks from Nassib but still cautious because he needs to continue showing that same level of development. If he keeps working hard and learning from his mistakes he could be a very good signal caller for the Gmen.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Eli plays well then he be signed to an extension. No doubt about it.

He be here as long as Coughlin is the HC or until Eli retires or plays horrific and is benched.

Nassib may be from the greatest college in the world and the #1 party school in the US, but we only seen him against 2nd and 3rd stringers so far. He was a 4th round pick for a reason. Nassib isn't going to come in and take the league by storm.
Shockey1979

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
He was a 4th round pick for a reason. Nassib isn't going to come in and take the league by storm.

Ehh I'm not big on judging guys based on their selected round. Plenty of 4-7th rounders and UDFA's have emerged as superstars in this league. I think with the right offensive scheme and personnel he could be a starting quality QB.

As far as Eli getting extended. When he would ink that contract he'd be pretty close to 35. What would you see as a likely contract extension at that point? 2,3,4 year deal? Obviously he would have to take a huge pay downgrade as well. I wouldn't pay him half of what he's making now at that age...

"Sundown, you better take care... if I find you been creepin' round my back stairs"
Acgott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockey1979 wrote:

As far as Eli getting extended. When he would ink that contract he'd be pretty close to 35. What would you see as a likely contract extension at that point? 2,3,4 year deal? Obviously he would have to take a huge pay downgrade as well. I wouldn't pay him half of what he's making now at that age...

It would probably be a 4 year deal similar to how Dalton's and Kapernick's contract is worded but maybe a little more in average salary. It may be a 6 year deal just to spread the cap hit, but it would be easy to cut him after every year if need be.
NYGCRUZ80

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain and simple. Eli plays well and brings them to the POs-No, He stinks it up again and the team struggles/misses POs- Yes
Then we bring in a QB around 2nd-4th round (Not first bc that's reserves for OL)

Another question: If he is released, where do you think he ends up?
I think Jacksonville to help mentor Bortles or St. Louis bc of the whole Bradford thing
Xfaxtor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think the FO is ever going to cut him. Not for everyghing he has done for this team.

^Joe_is_the_best
bigbluefan80

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think this is a bad question to ask at all, in fact i think its very real. Eli's gotta command this offence and command it well. Weve been witnessing what this offence is capable of when handled like it should be with Nassib. Albeit that Nassib has faced 2s and 3s on the opposing team, but he clearly has this offence handled better at this point in time then Eli does. I believe that Eli has this season AND at least half of next season to prove his worth in this system. Also Coughlin will get the axe if we dont make the playoffs as well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:

It would probably be a 4 year deal similar to how Dalton's and Kapernick's contract is worded but maybe a little more in average salary. It may be a 6 year deal just to spread the cap hit, but it would be easy to cut him after every year if need be.

I simply just don't agree. I think at max it would be a 2 year deal with a 3rd year option. Again assuming he puts up a good season this year. Which let's be clear. A good season for Eli doesn't even mean a "good" season in the scope of league averages at this point.

I'm not hating, I love the man and all he did for us. But he's 34 and on the decline. His time in blue is numbered. I hope he just decides to retire a Giant and go off into the sunset and focus on his family. But if he wants that one last contract before doing so it's gotta be at a huge discount to stay in blue.

Shockey1979

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGCRUZ80 wrote:
I think Jacksonville to help mentor Bortles or St. Louis bc of the whole Bradford thing

As a starter... I dunno. The options seem limited. Maybe... Jacksonville, Minny, Arizona, St. Louis, Oakland. The typical places QB's go to get that final contract and stink it up Laughing

bigbluefan80

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockey1979 wrote:
NYGCRUZ80 wrote:

As a starter... I dunno. The options seem limited. Maybe... Jacksonville, Minny, Arizona, St. Louis, Oakland. The typical places QB's go to get that final contract and stink it up Laughing

God have mercy on Eli if he ends up in Oakland. Thats basically the recycled left over scrap heap that players go to drown in at the end of there careers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigbluefan80 wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:
NYGCRUZ80 wrote:

God have mercy on Eli if he ends up in Oakland. Thats basically the recycled left over scrap heap that players go to drown in at the end of there careers.

Is there a deeper meaning to this? *coughcough*Tuck*coughcough*

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w4rrior723 wrote:
bigbluefan80 wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:
NYGCRUZ80 wrote:

Is there a deeper meaning to this? *coughcough*Tuck*coughcough*

Oakland is entitled to 1 halfway decent player. But lets face facts theyve honestly been the farm team for the NFL where there top talent leaves after being trained and goes on to other teams to make some bread and then have a halfway salvagable career.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eli wont get cut, we will cut ties with TC but they will give Eli the chance with a new coach (especially if it's a veteran coach)..if he's a rookie HC then all bets are off because he might want to take a QB in the top 5 and have that be his guy. But I still dont see that happening...
dkebones

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

side question: has Eli ever espoused any desire to coach once he hangs em up? if so, i can't imagine/don't want to see him cut and would rather the FO "design" a plan that would allow him to stay and cut his teeth as mentor developing into coaching material.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: