Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sick and Tired Of...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iavikefn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Sick and Tired Of... Reply with quote

I'm so sick and tired of people saying how "bad" the Twins are this year. They haven't played their best ball this year, yet. However, let's take a look at the standings:

A.L. East

Boston: 51-42
N.Y. Yankees: 50-42
Baltimore: 50-43
Toronto: 46-47
Tampa Bay: 32-63

A.L. Central

Chicago White Sox: 62-30
Minnesota: 50-42
Cleveland: 48-46
Detroit: 45-47
Kansas City: 33-60

A.L. West

L.A. Angels: 56-38
Texas: 48-44
Oakland: 48-45
Seattle: 41-51

N.L. East

Washington: 54-40
Atlanta: 53-42
Philadelphia: 49-45
N.Y. Mets: 47-46
Florida: 46-46

N.L. Central

St. Louis: 60-33
Chicago Cubs: 48-45
Houston: 47-46
Milwaukee: 46-48
Pittsburgh: 40-54
Cincinnati: 38-55

N.L. West

San Diego: 50-44
Arizona: 46-50
L.A. Dodgers: 41-52
San Francisco: 41-52
Colorado: 32-60

Just wondering, am I the only one who sees that Minnesota would be leading the N.L. West by a game, trailing in the N.L. East by a mere 2 games, and trailing in the mighty A.L. East by a mere 1/2 game?

People look at how far back the Twins are and say "They won't make the playoffs. They suck." I've got news for those people: It's because the frickin' White Sox are 62-30! Put them in any division other than the A.L. Central or N.L. Central and they are competitive in that division.

I'm venting frustration here. The Twins have not played their best ball of the season yet. The Yankees have played their best ball of the season, in my opinion. The have peaked. I hope the A.L. East and all their fans have fun with only one team in the post-season this year.

Please, think, and look at what's going on in the league before you speak.

Note: This is primarily directed at all the analysts on Yahoo, ESPN, Baseball Tonight, etc. who love the Yankees and Red Sox and want to have their kids, not at the readers of this post. I am venting because I am fed up with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it really bugs me that I am hearing it in Minnesota, an uneducated fan from elsewhere I can understand, mainly because all they see is that the Twins aren't in first place. I don't know if this is true as of right now, but it has to be very close, but up until the All-Star game the Twins had a better record then last year. I guess that is bad. Granted I do understand we could have one a couple more games that were close, but we are still leading the A.L. in come from behind wins. The only reason it looks like we are doing bad is because the Sox are doing great.

PanthersIn05

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if people are saying that they are "bad". I personally think they are getting in as a wild card this year, and only one team gets out of the AL east. I've heard several analysts who believe the same thing.

They have great pitching and play great defense, and if they start to hit, they are a dangerous team. I think you could say they are overlooked, because of the White Sox great year. I still think they will be on the cusp of the playoffs, and probably get in as a wild card.
Burton

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never said their bad, they have one of the lowest payrolls in baseball yet they are still most likely going to make the playoffs

With the 3rd pick in the first round the Tennessee
The Gnat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if I have heard it that much on this board. I just know that in the news media, especially local, I have heard a lot of negativity about how they should be doing better. Granted there have been about 4 games they should have one, but then again they probably have won 4 that they really should have lost. The media is just getting really old and annoying really fast.

2105 yards

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick and Tired Of... Reply with quote

iavikefn wrote:

Note: This is primarily directed at all the analysts on Yahoo, ESPN, Baseball Tonight, etc. who love the Yankees and Red Sox and want to have their kids, not at the readers of this post. I am venting because I am fed up with it.

I'm with you on this one...I've been saying all season how fed up I am with all the national media pretending there is no good baseball being played west of Chicago...get off the over the hill Yanks and the underachieveing Red Sox and please get off the Cubs who are headed nowwhere and start paying more attention to teams that are really doing somrthing like the Angels (1st place with big lead) Twins (hanging in despite being in the Central) A's (nice turnaround after a horrendous first two months of the season) White Sox (should be no bigger story right now than the job Ken Williams has done)...I'm not saying no stories on the Yanks and Sox, they are gonna battle it out in the East again and it is a big story...just not the only one.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Win or Lose the Minnesota Twins are everything that is right with baseball!!
droopedupmofo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I've heard is they're not hitting... and that's true. They're a great team because of their pitching, but if they added a couple of sluggers, they'd probably be the best team in the AL.
broncosfan_101

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chance the twins could add someone like aubrey huff? i know he's not great defensively and that's what minnesota loves, but he's really versatile and could help you out at a few different positions.

i want him to come to the jays, but if he doesn't go there, i'd like him to go to the twins.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

droopedupmofo wrote:
All I've heard is they're not hitting... and that's true. They're a great team because of their pitching, but if they added a couple of sluggers, they'd probably be the best team in the AL.

We did have David Ortiz for quite a few years and he did absolutely nothing but sit on the DL the whole time he was here. Now he is in Boston playing every single game and near the top in all offensive categories. I think in a few few years Mauer will develope into a real power and avg guy. (300 +avg with 30-35 homeruns). The guy is only 22.
iavikefn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason that David Ortiz was not productive with the Twins was because he had no protection here. Teams were able to avoid him and not have to pitch to him, because no one behind him could make them pay.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really seemed to be the problem. They may have 1 or 2 power hitters, and the rest either hit for average, or aren't good at hitting at all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: