Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Trade Thought (regards Soriano)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Trade Thought (regards Soriano) Reply with quote

I just had an interesting thought tonight. I was watching the Rangers/Yankees game on ESPN and then I would switch it over to the Dodgers/Philies game on FSN West 2. I heard them talking about moving Jeff Kent over to 1B for the remainder of the season. This way, it would save his body for a little while longer and he would still be effective. Then this thought popped into my good ol' noodle. What if the Texas Rangers traded Alfonso Soriano (2B) to the Dodgers for Odalis Perez (SP). The Dodgers are trying to shop around Perez, and I think the Rangers would be interested since they do need a reliable Starting Pitcher.

If you were a Rangers fan, would you do this trade?

If you were a Dodgers fan, would you do this trade?

I want to hear both sides from everyone who answers this because I want to get a good readout on this.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
the lone star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not straight up, the Dodgers should throw in another pitcher that can start for us in a few years. Odalis Perez isn't doing very well right now as he has a 5.06 ERA and opposing batters have a .268 batting average against him. The good thing is that he doesn't walk too many batters, so he's gonna go after each batter and try to beat them with command, and that's something the Rangers have struggled with in the past. But, he only has 42 strikeouts, so the batters are obviously putting balls into play against him, and if that happens too much @ Ameriquest Field, u don't really expect to win the game. He's given up 66 hits over 64 innings, so that's a little over 1 hit per inning and that will bury a pitcher in Arlington.

He's a lefty that would help with the absence of Rogers right now, but i wouldn't want to obtain him for Soriano alone. I would like Perez and a pitching prospect for Soriano.

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its worth a shot but I'm sure the Rangers would want one of those top Dodger prospects in the deal as well...I think this is a very viable trade for both sides.
the lone star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2105 yards wrote:
I think its worth a shot but I'm sure the Rangers would want one of those top Dodger prospects in the deal as well...I think this is a very viable trade for both sides.

i agree. ppl have hyped Edwin Jackson a lot, but i think he needs a little more fine tuning before he can be ready to contribute. I'd like to have the guy that is supposed to be the 9th best pitching prospect, Chad Billingsley, but my guess is that he is untouchable @ the moment. Perez and Edwin Jackson wouldn't be a bad trade for the Rangers, but it's a little risky considering that Jackson might not be as good as some think.

We might, and very well could get more for Soriano if we can get the Yankees interested in him again.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dodgers could always trade Odalis Perez, Dioner Nivarro, and Darren Dreifort for Alfonso Soriano.

This way the Rangers get a top SP, a top C prospect, and a good P who can be good in the bullpen. And the Dodgers get a 2B for the future, which would allow Jeff Kent to move to 1B.

I would hate to see Dioner Navarro go, because I think he's the next big thing at Catcher. But if it got Alfonso Soriano, go for it.

Also, remember this. Odalis Perez has revived his career in Los Angeles. From 2002-2004, he was 34-28 with a 3.59 ERA. He had such a tough season last year. I felt so bad for him. He was 7-6 with a 3.25 ERA. Not that he didn't make many starts, he just didn't get run support. He always pitched great but finished the season with 18 No Decisions. That was more then any pitcher in the Majors last season. He also doesn't give up that many hits. There was only one season with the Dodgers, where his H/9 were above 9.00. That came in 2003. He was at 7.37 in 2002 and at 8.25 in 2004. His WHIP with the Dodgers was always below 1.30. So that's another good sign. He might be struggling this season, but remember this. He's only 27. Alfonso Soriano is 27 as well. So each team is getting what it gave up back in return.

I think this could be a straight up deal. I really do. I actually see it more like this.

Odalis Perez & cash for Alfonso Soriano

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
the lone star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i c ur point on Perez, but i would still be a little skeptical about obtaining him based on the way that he is pitching now and how that will project into games at Ameriquest Field (sorry if that still makes u shutter). The cash does help, but i still think we'd need a pitching prospect in the deal.

I like the deal that u have with Dreifort, Perez and Nivarro tho. If that was an actual trade proposal, I would would be very tempted by it. It's just that i'd rather see Billgsley in the trade instead of Nivarro. He's prolly untradeable, but i would love for that to happen. I'd also be content with Edwin Jackson instead of Billingsley.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dodgers have actually deemed Edwin Jackson "untradable". That's why they're dangling Odalis Perez out there. I don't see what's so special about Edwin Jackson. When I watch him, he pitches with no confidence. He has an amazing fastball, a nice changeup, and a wicked curve. But he's just lacking confidence.

as11osu wrote:
the lone star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big7BenROY wrote:
The Dodgers have actually deemed Edwin Jackson "untradable". That's why they're dangling Odalis Perez out there. I don't see what's so special about Edwin Jackson. When I watch him, he pitches with no confidence. He has an amazing fastball, a nice changeup, and a wicked curve. But he's just lacking confidence.

whoa, so wait a min…is Billingsley tradeable? b/c if i were Hart i would totally be interested in trying to obtain him and Perez for Soriano. Seems like a win-win as u guys would be getting a stud 2B and we'd be getting a guy that we can plug into our rotation and another pithcher that can hopefully be a starting pitcher in a few years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lone star wrote:
Big7BenROY wrote:

whoa, so wait a min…is Billingsley tradeable? b/c if i were Hart i would totally be interested in trying to obtain him and Perez for Soriano. Seems like a win-win as u guys would be getting a stud 2B and we'd be getting a guy that we can plug into our rotation and another pithcher that can hopefully be a starting pitcher in a few years.

I don't know about Billingsley. I don't know if he's tradeable or not. I hope he isn't, for the Dodgers sake. They need to keep him for the future, because he's going to be a stud.

as11osu wrote:
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, Odalis Perez just enhanced his trade value. He pitched 7 innings, allowed 3 hits, walked 1, and struck out 7 during the Dodgers 1-0 victory over the Philadelphia Phillies. He picked up the win, so he's 5-5 and he dropped his ERA down to 4.56. The Dodgers scored in the top of the first and Odalis Perez shut down the Phillies the rest of the way.

Question: Does this help his stock because he did this in a hitter's ballpark?

as11osu wrote:
the lone star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big7BenROY wrote:
Today, Odalis Perez just enhanced his trade value. He pitched 7 innings, allowed 3 hits, walked 1, and struck out 7 during the Dodgers 1-0 victory over the Philadelphia Phillies. He picked up the win, so he's 5-5 and he dropped his ERA down to 4.56. The Dodgers scored in the top of the first and Odalis Perez shut down the Phillies the rest of the way.

Question: Does this help his stock because he did this in a hitter's ballpark?

yeah, it does help his stock, but i still don't think that it has helped him enough to the point that we can trade Soriano for just him. We'll need a pitching prospect for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know how much the lone star wants to hear about Chad Billingsley, so here it is. So far with Double-A Jacksonville, here's what it's looking like.

Chad Billingsley (11 games) = 7-4, 4.39 ERA, 94.1 IP, 110 K's, 36 BBs, 1 CG, 88 Hits, 49 Runs, 46 Earned Runs, 8 HRs

I'd say he's doing okay, if he could just get his ERA down to a better number. He seems to look good though. 110 K's in just 94.1 IP is pretty good. I just hope he can keep it up. That's an average of 12.2 K's Per 9. I like the numbers, but I need to see him in person.

By the way, I have tickets to the Reds/Dodgers game on July 27th. I'm going to take a notebook with me and do some scouting on Adam Dunn and some other players who have been rumored to be traded. I'm hoping that Odalis Perez pitches so I can get an accurate scouting report on him. I've seen Jeff Weaver enough, in person, so I know what to expect out of him. I hate Odalis Perez though. I hate his rhythm, but if he could get the Dodgers some good players, then I'm all for it.

as11osu wrote:
the lone star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's not looking so bad right now, a little more time and he should be able to advnce to triple A. I'm looking forward to seeing him play in the majors. He'll hopefully be a big strikeout guy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: