Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mets say "Another bat would be nice"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Mets say "Another bat would be nice" Reply with quote

Quote:
Those extra arms, however, could help land another experienced bat, such as Alfonso Soriano or Sean Casey. Texas needs more starting pitching to stay in contention, and with an abundance of young power hitters, Soriano - never a favorite of manager Buck Showalter - may be expendable.

The Mets scuttled trades that would have sent Jose Reyes or Scott Kazmir to the Rangers for Soriano before last season, then later shipped Kazmir to Tampa Bay, anyway, for Victor Zambrano.

Soriano would be a natural fit at second base. Minaya didn't sign Kaz Matsui, who is a lost cause with another season left on his three-year, $20.1-million deal, and the new GM does not have a history of sitting on his hands at the deadline.

One person familiar with the situation said the Mets and Rangers already have talked about Soriano. His 23 homers this season make him more attractive than Casey (.304, four homers), but the Rangers are reluctant to deal the slugging second baseman, and a trade seems unlikely at this point.

Soriano avoided arbitration by agreeing to a $7.5-million salary for this season - a $2.1-million raise - and he'll get another bump for 2006. Casey is making $7.8 million, and the Reds already picked up his $8.5-million option for 2006.

The Mets could put together an attractive package for either team, with a major-leaguer such as Aaron Heilman combined with prospects such as righthander Yusmiero Petit or outfielders Victor Diaz and Lastings Milledge, though Milledge is regarded as a nearly untouchable talent.

Link: Mets say "Another bat would be nice"

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
Yankees05

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this trade would be good for the Mets short-term, and it would help the Rangers long-term. Because of this, I wouldn't make the trade if I was Texas. They want to get in the playoffs this season, and trading an All-Star for the future won't get them there. I know people disagree with me, but I feel that rather than adding 1-2 pitchers to Texas they should add as much offense as possible.
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas is doing what they should be doing, building for the future. They won't make the playoffs this season. Not with the Red Sox, Yankees, Orioles, Twins, Indians, and A's all in contention for one single Wild Card spot. They're going to be one of the first teams out.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
Yankees05

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big7BenROY wrote:
Texas is doing what they should be doing, building for the future. They won't make the playoffs this season. Not with the Red Sox, Yankees, Orioles, Twins, Indians, and A's all in contention for one single Wild Card spot. They're going to be one of the first teams out.

I agree with that, but I am sure the ownership and fans want to get in the playoffs this year. That is why I don't think they should make it. But it is true they should build for 2-3 years in the future, since their key players are all young.
FrankCastle51573

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were building for the future they would've traded Kenny Rogers. He doesn't have that much left, and he is no Roger Clemens, either.

Even if he is doing stupid crap off the field, I bet there's a team stupid enough to take someone with off the field problems. Any team in New York, I would think, since expectations are always to win it all THIS YEAR every year.
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can't trade Kenny Rogers. If you have a player that is appealing a suspension, you can't trade him. You can't trade him while he's serving it either. So they're stuck with him.

as11osu wrote:
FrankCastle51573

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's a shame. Buddy shouldve suspended him for the entire year after the second time with the cameraman. When will he just get it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: