Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Angels interested in Jason Schmidt?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Angels interested in Jason Schmidt? Reply with quote

Quote:
It seems the Angels are looking toward San Francisco for possible pitching help. They reportedly are interested in Brett Tomko. Also, when Angels beat writers visited manager Mike Scioscia's office recently, they saw Jason Schmidt's ESPN home page on Scioscia's computer screen. The Angels have a deep farm system that would allow them to part with 29-year-old reliever Scot Shields, who has experience as a starter and has held major- league hitters to a .179 average this season.

Link: Angels interested in Jason Schmidt?

It's towards the bottom in the "Briefly" section.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
2105 yards

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Angels interested in Jason Schmidt? Reply with quote

Big7BenROY wrote:
Quote:
It seems the Angels are looking toward San Francisco for possible pitching help. They reportedly are interested in Brett Tomko. Also, when Angels beat writers visited manager Mike Scioscia's office recently, they saw Jason Schmidt's ESPN home page on Scioscia's computer screen. The Angels have a deep farm system that would allow them to part with 29-year-old reliever Scot Shields, who has experience as a starter and has held major- league hitters to a .179 average this season.

HELL NO!!!...you don't give up Shields unless it's for a sure thing and Schmidt has pitched like a guy with an injury this season...his velocity is reportedly down and his numbers are not as dominating as in past seasosn...the bullpen is the Angels biggest strength and I doubt they would break that up.
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Angels interested in Jason Schmidt? Reply with quote

2105 yards wrote:
HELL NO!!!...you don't give up Shields unless it's for a sure thing and Schmidt has pitched like a guy with an injury this season...his velocity is reportedly down and his numbers are not as dominating as in past seasosn...the bullpen is the Angels biggest strength and I doubt they would break that up.

Dude, I thought exactly the same thing. But I guess they would move Ervin Santana into the bullpen, as the long reliever. Then move Esteban Yan into the 7th inning role, move Brendan Donnelly into the 8th inning role, and then obviously leave Francisco Rodriguez as the closer for the 9th inning. I'm a little hesitant in giving up Scot Shields as well.

Jason Schmidt is only 7-5 this season with a 4.74 ERA. That's basically a run and a half higher then what he produced last season. He was 18-7 with a 3.20 ERA last season. In 2003, he was 17-5 with a 2.34 ERA. If he can start replicating those numbers and proving that he's back from that injury before the trading deadline, then I wouldn't mind this trade. Jason Schmidt only has two more starts before the trading deadline, and he has to show he's back to his old form. Although he has been doing better lately. He's 4-2 in his last 7 starts. In those 7 starts, he's had 6 quality starts. He only had one bad game, and that was against the Padres. He's had a total of 9 quality starts this season. So that means out of his 9 quality starts, that 6 have come within the last month. So if he can just keep it up, then I won't mind trading for him.

EDIT: During those last 7 starts, he has an ERA of 3.26. If you take out his one bad start against the Padres during those 7 games, he has an ERA of 2.38. So I'd say he's on his way back of being a dominant pitcher again.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
PanthersIn05

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Angels interested in Jason Schmidt? Reply with quote

2105 yards wrote:
Big7BenROY wrote:
Quote:

I completely agree. The Angels have a great bullpen and they would lose one of the best relievers in baseball. I really hope that doesn't happen. Plus, Schmidt is having a rough year and his fastball has slowed down. It would be an awful trade IMO.
2105 yards

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I thought about this supposed trade the more it made me laugh...Scott Shields is the link to K-Rod...When the Angels lead after 6 or 7 its usuallyover with Donnelly to Shields to K-Rod...No way they break that up when they are one of the favorites to win the pennant this season...They might trade from their stockpile of prospects but I can't see any way anyone on the big league roster is going anywhere unless they had a shot at Clemens which would never happen either.
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you. I wouldn't welcome the trade either. Just look at what Scot Shields did tonight. He went 1 1/3 tonight and did fabulous. So I would rather keep him and keep that great bullpen.

as11osu wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: