Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sweeney to Angels Rumor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iavikefn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Sweeney to Angels Rumor Reply with quote

Quote:
Who might want Royals DH Mike Sweeney: Angels, Rangers, Dodgers, Mets. Suggested trade: To the Angels for Casey Kotchman and Erick Aybar. The Angels are in win-now mode and a righty power bat to DH would be a big addition. Kotchman, a first baseman, was among the majors' top prospects, but his star has dimmed some this year with a poor first half, and the Angels are not ready to abandon Darin Erstad and made a big international sign for Kendry Morales. Aybar is a well-thought-of middle-infield prospect.

benmaller.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has actually been rumored for quite sometime. It looked good when the Angels DHs weren't hitting, but now they are. Don't give up on prospects just to get a guy for about two months. Just my opinion on it all.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
2105 yards

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeney makes like 10 or 11 million a year so this would be a major investment for a guy who I think is signed through 2007...I don't think this trade is necessary I would like to see the Halos give more at bats to Juan Rivera who has come thorugh when given the opportunity.
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2105 yards wrote:
Sweeney makes like 10 or 11 million a year so this would be a major investment for a guy who I think is signed through 2007...I don't think this trade is necessary I would like to see the Halos give more at bats to Juan Rivera who has come thorugh when given the opportunity.

I'm totally with you, completely. My problem with this deal is we get rid of two very good prospects in Casey Kotchman (1B) and Erick Aybar (SS).

Here's how Erick Aybar is doing so far in Double-A Arkansas. And below that, is how Casey Kotchman is doing in Triple-A Salt Lake.

Erick Aybar (95 Games) = .274 AVG, 368 At-Bats, 60 Runs, 101 Hits, 19 Doubles, 7 Triples, 4 HRs, 33 RBIs, 146 Total Bases, 19 BBs, 40 K's, 26 SB, 17 CS, .397 SLG, .325 OBP, .722 OPS, 26 Errors, 11 GIDP, 11 HBP

He has talent, and he's only 21. I hope the Angels don't make a mistake and just give him away.

Casey Kotchman (85 Games) = .276 AVG, 326 At-Bats, 51 Runs, 90 Hits, 18 Doubles, 1 Triple, 7 HRs, 52 RBIs, 131 Total Bases, 37 BBs, 38 K's, .402 SLG, .358 OBP, .760 OPS, 3 Errors, 14 GIDP, 2 IBB, 7 HBP

Same thing with Casey Kotchman. A ton of talent, but has to work his way up because of Darin Erstad.

I will tell you one other guy that the Angels better not let slip away. And that's Mike Napoli (C). Here's why.

Mike Napoli (93 Games) = .248 AVG, 303 At-Bats, 64 Runs, 75 Hits, 18 Doubles, 1 Triple, 18 HRs, 66 RBIs, 149 Total Bases, 65 BBs, 96 K's, 8 SB, 2 CS, .492 SLG, .387 SBP, .879 OPS, 10 Errors, 6 GIDP, 1 IBB, 5 HBP

The Angels have a wealth of talent in the minors, and they better not start just trading it away.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
2105 yards

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me Aybar may be the top prospect in the system after Weaver but in actuality the team is loaded with talent...one of the problems is that you can only have a 40 man roster...the rest (those signed three or more years ago) are open to the Rule V draft...so if you can trade a couple guys for a major league talent maybe you go for it but not the top guys like Aybar...Kotchaman may be expendable but Aybar is not IMO.
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Kotchman. When he's been called up to the majors, he's been very good, at least to me. He's every bit as good as Darin Erstad, which makes me believe that they will keep Kotchman. As long as Jared Weaver and Trevor Bell don't get traded, I'm happy. Same goes for Kendry Morales. There's a couple guys the Angels should not and better not get rid of. Those three, along with Erick Aybar, are just a few of them.

as11osu wrote:
MightyMouse07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Sig Big Ben i like it

“Anytime I step out there I give everything I got, on every single play.” - Ray Lewis
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyMouse07 wrote:
Nice Sig Big Ben i like it

Thanks. I made it a while ago. Like back in the middle of May. I used it for a couple days, but then changed it. Since we're in baseball season now, I figured I might as well use it since I have it.

as11osu wrote:
2105 yards

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Wood is another of the Halos to prospects...the 6'3" 185 lb. shortstop is tearing it up at Rancho Cucamonga (A) hitting .325 with 34 HR and 88 RBI in just 94 games!!!
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2105 yards wrote:
Brandon Wood is another of the Halos to prospects...the 6'3" 185 lb. shortstop is tearing it up at Rancho Cucamonga (A) hitting .325 with 34 HR and 88 RBI in just 94 games!!!

Here's his full statline, so far.

Brandon Wood (94 Games) = .325 AVG, 382 At-Bats, 75 Runs, 124 Hits, 33 Doubles, 3 Triples, 34 HRs, 88 RBIs, 265 Total Bases, 36 BB, 81 SO, 5 SB, 2 CS, 2 SAC, 2 SF, .694 SLG, .390 OBP, 1.084 OPS, 16 Errors, 10 GIDP, 1 IBB, 6 HBP

And he just turned 20 on March 5th! They had better not trade him.

LOL, listen to me. I sound like a little girl. I just don't want any of those great prospects with great talent to get traded for aging veterans, ala the Yankees, and then it comes back to bite the Angels in the butt.

Here's an added piece of information. Brandon Wood was the Angels #1 pick in 2003. So he should be with them for a while, hopefully.

as11osu wrote:
2105 yards

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big7BenROY wrote:
2105 yards wrote:

Here's his full statline, so far.

Brandon Wood (94 Games) = .325 AVG, 382 At-Bats, 75 Runs, 124 Hits, 33 Doubles, 3 Triples, 34 HRs, 88 RBIs, 265 Total Bases, 36 BB, 81 SO, 5 SB, 2 CS, 2 SAC, 2 SF, .694 SLG, .390 OBP, 1.084 OPS, 16 Errors, 10 GIDP, 1 IBB, 6 HBP

And he just turned 20 on March 5th! They had better not trade him.

LOL, listen to me. I sound like a little girl. I just don't want any of those great prospects with great talent to get traded for aging veterans, ala the Yankees, and then it comes back to bite the Angels in the butt.

Here's an added piece of information. Brandon Wood was the Angels #1 pick in 2003. So he should be with them for a while, hopefully.

It's so nice to see real prospects in the Angel system...I can imagine an infield of Kotchman, Aybar, Wood and McPherson in Anaheim in maybe another 3 or 4 years...but you never know, sometimes you have to trade some prospects in order to go for it in a certain year...you don't get the chance to win a championship every year but even so I love all the talent the Halos are stockpiling these days. Very Happy
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some links/articles to browse through if anyone is interested.

Link: Top Pick Signs for $975,000

Link: Bell signs, will start at Mesa

You have to sign up for the last one, but it is free. So don't be too lazy now.

Enjoy.

as11osu wrote:
2105 yards

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting they haven't ruled out a September call up for Jered Weaver...could he be pitching well enough by that time???...hmmmmmmm...an interesting thought indeed.....
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2105 yards wrote:
It's so nice to see real prospects in the Angel system...I can imagine an infield of Kotchman, Aybar, Wood and McPherson in Anaheim in maybe another 3 or 4 years...but you never know, sometimes you have to trade some prospects in order to go for it in a certain year...you don't get the chance to win a championship every year but even so I love all the talent the Halos are stockpiling these days.

Don't forget about Kendry Morales either. He's another Angels IF who is going to be great (hopefully).

I will tell you this though, as much as I love Dallas McPherson, I just have this feeling that he will not blossom into the player the Angels are hoping for.

as11osu wrote:
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2105 yards wrote:
Interesting they haven't ruled out a September call up for Jered Weaver...could he be pitching well enough by that time???...hmmmmmmm...an interesting thought indeed.....

Well that's what caught people by surprise. They thought he was going to skip Double-A, and just go straight to Triple-A in time to get called up when the roster expands. I think they want him to get a couple starts in Double-A, then make a couple in Triple-A before they call him up. I think it's going to be another month and a half before he gets here. About another 10 starts, basically.

as11osu wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: