Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Missing Apostrophe

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Feedback Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broseph46

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: The Missing Apostrophe Reply with quote

I hate to be a pedantic grammar Nazi (I honestly do!), but shouldn't there be an apostrophe in the ain't of 'This aint sports talk'? Literally the only thing I would change about this website.

Check out my favourite albums of 2010 here!
CWood21

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Missing Apostrophe Reply with quote

broseph46 wrote:
I hate to be a pedantic grammar Nazi (I honestly do!), but shouldn't there be an apostrophe in the ain't of 'This aint sports talk'? Literally the only thing I would change about this website.

"Aint" really isn't a contraction like say "isn't" = "is not". And seeing how it's considered improper English, the words "am not" isn't correct either.
GRRLacher

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Webster it's a contraction of are not. There should be an apostrophe.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ain%27t

But...I don't want this to turn into a grammar correction thread so I'm going to close it up.

Webby will see this, if he hasn't already, and will change it if he wants to.

We appreciate you eye for punctuation. Wink

Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I aint changin it.

Very Happy

If we were trying to be grammatically correct it wouldn't be aint or ain't at all. The whole point of it is to be grammatically incorrect. It started as a meme on the first message board I ever ran back in 1995. When the forums at footballsfuture.com started up, I decided to go with that name again, instead of 'off-topic' or 'non-sports talk'.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Feedback Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: