Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Derek Watson, possible backup RB???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
golf333333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Derek Watson, possible backup RB??? Reply with quote

I don't know if everyone was aware of this but a while ago we signed Derek Watson, running back from South Carolina. Coming out of HS, he was one of the top ranked players in the country and he ran for over 1000 yards as a Soph at South Carolina...The big if is, can he keep his head on straight??

Quote:
WATSON, DEREK
5/01
South Carolina tailback Derek Watson was suspended from the team Friday, a day after a woman said he hit her in the arm. Watson, who was in court Friday to plead no contest to traffic charges from December, was suspended for disciplinary reasons, Gamecocks coach Lou Holtz said. He had suspended Watson late last year for disciplinary problems and the Gamecocks' first 1,000-yard rusher in four seasons missed the victory over Ohio State in the Outback Bowl. In the traffic case, Watson was sentenced to 15 days in jail or a $100 fine. Watson's plea came a day after the latest allegation against him, that he hit a woman. It has been a difficult six months for Watson. He missed several practices after the regular season ended last year. Early one morning about three weeks later, Watson wrecked teammate Teddy Crawford's car, but was unhurt. Watson said a blown tire caused the accident, but a Columbia police report said Watson was ticketed for driving too fast and driving with a suspended license. Police Chief Charles Austin said Watson's license was suspended for not paying a traffic ticket. In February, Watson allegedly threatened a referee who had ejected the football player from an intramural basketball game.

Link: DEREK WATSON

He's also a great return man, I think he should focus on returning punts since we are pretty much set over at KR...
golf333333

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has any interest in Derek Watson?
prefernfl2005

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watson has indeed shown flashes, but in preseason games, it is tough to get an accurate assessment because of the defenses (vanilla) they are facing.

So where would Watson fit into the mix? You have Caddy, Pitt, Alstott, Graham, Ian Smart.....he's got to be rather far down the list. I'm not saying he has no shot, but he is really going to have to shine big time this week.
golf333333

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definetly think behind Caddy if Pittman got released or traded and if D-Watson continues to play well and gets some snaps with the 2nd team.
prefernfl2005

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless Pitt has another brush with the law, I don't see him being released. I see him as an integral part of the "rocket backfield", but moreso as a key player in the passing game.

Watson is not a FB, so biding time in 2005 until Alstott retires is not a real option. Plus, there is Earnest Graham, who both knows the system and has had a good preseason. Graham could handle the duties of a RB or a FB. But then Razzano comes into the fold as well. Razz has shown flashes but has been slowed by injuries this preseason. I get the feeling that Gruden likes Razz enough to keep him on the PS at least.

Watson has a shot, but it is gonna be an uphill battle for playing time this year.
golf333333

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, that's not a bad observation at all, the only reason I saw Pittman being released is because of his age and to make more room for the young guns like Caddy and Watson.
mjs020293

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prefernfl2005 wrote:
Watson has indeed shown flashes, but in preseason games, it is tough to get an accurate assessment because of the defenses (vanilla) they are facing.

So where would Watson fit into the mix? You have Caddy, Pitt, Alstott, Graham, Ian Smart.....he's got to be rather far down the list. I'm not saying he has no shot, but he is really going to have to shine big time this week.

Ian Smart was cut. Rolling Eyes
golf333333

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garner was also cut, TheFridge85 posted a link...
PreferNFL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prefernfl2005 wrote:
Unless Pitt has another brush with the law, I don't see him being released. I see him as an integral part of the "rocket backfield", but moreso as a key player in the passing game.

Watson is not a FB, so biding time in 2005 until Alstott retires is not a real option. Plus, there is Earnest Graham, who both knows the system and has had a good preseason. Graham could handle the duties of a RB or a FB. But then Razzano comes into the fold as well. Razz has shown flashes but has been slowed by injuries this preseason. I get the feeling that Gruden likes Razz enough to keep him on the PS at least.

Watson has a shot, but it is gonna be an uphill battle for playing time this year.

Razzano cannot stay healthy! Rolling Eyes
golf333333

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Prefer are you in favor of keepin Watson on the roster as a backup RB and as a returner?
PreferNFL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

golf333333 wrote:
So Prefer are you in favor of keepin Watson on the roster as a backup RB and as a returner?

Yes, most definitely! Rolling Eyes
golf333333

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, what's the harm in having your own Dante Hall Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: