You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

New To Fantasy Football, Advice on team
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Fantasy Football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James Jones FTW

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: New To Fantasy Football, Advice on team Reply with quote

So For first time instead of getting abused through draft I did one of those auto drafts. I plan on doing more leagues for season but this is my first ever so I don't know if im looking at good team or horrible. This is the hand I was dealt(12 league team).

QB- Hasselbeck, Favre(I figured no one would draft him so added him to list, could payoff if packers release him if not could always pick up QB who wins training camp job or shines early?)

RB- Addai, Grant, Chester Taylor

WR- Boldin, Holt, Hines Ward, Javon Walker

TE- Scheffler, Miller

K- Rackers

D- Ravens, Eagles
wudake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to assume you had the 8th or 9th pick of the draft. You chose Addai first (or the bot did) but I don't see a clear cut second round pick unless it was Ryan Grant. My overall assessment is C-.

I guess the good thing is that this is just the draft. You're starting off with not a lot of capital but with some attentiveness and luck, you can compete.

1. Get rid of one of those TEs and one of those D/STs. You need to scour free agency for RB, WR or QB with some upside. I wish I could see all of the available players

2. Favre could possibly pay off but I think he might be wasting space at the moment. Again, I don't know who is available but there has to be someone to up your team value. Really, Kurt Warner might be a better investment.

3. Your WRs are awesome if this is 2006. Unfortunately, it's not but if you can find a taker for Ward and Walker, you might want to consider getting rid of them. If you can't finagle a decent top end #2 WR or a #2 RB, then go ahead and keep them. Check the guy who has Peterson and maybe combo Walker and Taylor for a WR or RB.

4. If no one has him, get Brandon Jackson.

5. Never auto draft again. Ever.
Svengali

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats or condolences, depending on how you want to look at it, on getting into the addiction known as fantasy football. Your life, as it has been, is now over. Laughing

The other poster covered it well. With defenses, it's kinda hard to tell because it seems like most years the teams you expect to be solid often arent and you also get defensive units that suprise you. Last year Baltimore case in point. What I found is that defenses are usually something to think about each week based on matchups. Minnesota picked off alot of passes last year, so I would use them when facing a team that throws alot or throws poorly. The Raiders were uselass against the run, so I made sure to start decent running backs if they were playing against Oakland that week. I changed defenses like underwear last year (ok, maybe a little less) but bottom line is look for teams that are forciing turnovers and scoring.

Ugh you know what put this in your sig I Jaguarsfan28329 guarantee Maurice Jones drew will have a better season than Chris Johnson.

2009 may be lost, but at least we aint The Raiders.
bookend57

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might edit this later with a more indepth response because i am on my phone right now. hasselbeck is a solid quarterback option and you have very good running backs in addai and grant and you are solid at receiver as well. your tight end is a ? but thats no biggie. a solid team overall 8/10.

^gopherwrestler^
wudake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I am desperately trying to see where you're coming from. I know he's new but he should not be allowed to think this is a quality draft.

bookend57 wrote:
hasselbeck is a solid quarterback option

Hasselbeck is solid, no doubt. But his draft grade is mid sixth round. If you're going to delay grabbing a QB at least have top 5 players at other positions. In every mock where I've taken him allowed me to stack my team with multiple starting RBs and quality WRs.

bookend57 wrote:
you have very good running backs in addai and grant and

Addai is a good running back but he is at best #5. Really, this is the only bright spot on the team but if I was only going to have one true stud, I'd take Tomlinson or Westbrook.

Grant does not have the track record to really be worth this high of a pick. He could pan out to be very productive next season IF he ever makes it to next season. But I'd rather take a known quantity in the first three rounds than taking a chance on a player who may not be able to do in an entire season what he did in part of last season.

Quality mid to late round RBs that could be had include but aren't limited to: Michael Turner, Jamal Lewis, Earnest Graham and rookies Matt Forte, Kevin Smith and Jonathan Stewart. Anyone of these guys would be a good option in rounds 4 and above that would allow for a higher value WR or QB in the first 3 rounds.

bookend57 wrote:
you are solid at receiver as well.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. Anquan is a high end #2 and Holt's numbers have steadily declined over the last three seasons. Ward is getting older and is losing a lot of receptions and TDs to Santonio Holmes and Heath Miller. Javon Walker. Well, he's Javon Walker. He may have 1000 yards and 6 TDs or he may be on the IR for 12 games. Either way, he's subject to the Raider passing offense who is currently led by virtual rookie Jamarcus Russell.

bookend57 wrote:
your tight end is a ? but thats no biggie.

I like Scheffler but he can be had in 12th round. I don't know if the Miller is Heath or Zach but they also are late round picks. I'm not a huge advocate of drafting TEs too early but just scanning quickly over the roster, I would have taken Winslow, Witten or Gates over most of those other players.

bookend57 wrote:
a solid team overall 8/10.

To say that this team is 8/10 suggests that it's better than 80% (~10 out of 12) of teams in most leagues. That is insane.
atown703

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the best draft.. never do another autopick again. Scheffler is a decent TE. I'd hold on to him if I were you

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for advice, League is pretty dead for activity so have same team as before.

I think im getting better he's my latest team(2nd league)

Bulger, Favre(Once again ill risk for payoff)
Westbrook, Lewis, Jacobs
Wayne,Owens(just traded for him), Marshall, Driver
Once again have Rackers and Scheffler(With Waton as backup) Bucs D.

Drop Raiders and pick up Gaffney(Plays Cheifs/ Jets first two weeks when id need him until Marshall is back)

Did much better this time right?
Endure

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't listen to the guy criticizing your draft, he is probably in an 8 team league with a bunch of idiots. Your team is pretty solid and with some good pick ups and trades you could be the last man standing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Jones FTW wrote:
Thanks for advice, League is pretty dead for activity so have same team as before.

Westbrook, Lewis, Jacobs

Drop Raiders and pick up Gaffney(Plays Cheifs/ Jets first two weeks when id need him until Marshall is back)

I'd say so.

I like Jacobs much better than Taylor. Also i feel you WR's as a whole are better.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endure wrote:
Don't listen to the guy criticizing your draft, he is probably in an 8 team league with a bunch of idiots. Your team is pretty solid and with some good pick ups and trades you could be the last man standing.

If that team passes for a championship fantasy team in your league, I'd beg for an invitation. Make sure it's $100 or better; I'd hate to waste a season proving a point to chumps.
DannyB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About your first draft...

I'm not as high on it as Bookend, nor am I as critical as wudake. It certainly isn't much to look at in the "sexy" department. Not a lot of flash, no marquee names. But really, it could be quite effective.

Hasselbeck is a fine QB. Looks like you may have gotten him in the 5th, which is a reach, but oh well, at least you got one that's a good starter.

Addai and Grant is a GREAT combo. You probably got Addai at the 5th spot, so to have Grant still there in the 2nd round is awesome. Your 1-2 punch is about as good as can be hoped for in a 12-team league. The problem is your depth drops off like a rock, and to only have 3 RBs is perilous. You've gotta add depth, and preferably at least a low-end starter.

Your WRs are what give me pause. They definitely aren't sexy, and they could easily underperform, leaving you high and dry. But if you really look at Holt's and Boldin's potential of what they could do this year, you could be set. I don't think it's unrealistic to say that Holt could do 1,200+ yards this year, considering that's pretty much what he's done the past two years, and if Bulger is healthy, maybe 10 TDs. Boldin is the bigger wild card, but 1,000 yards and 8 TDs should be attainable. I have even less of a clue about Hines Ward, but 800 yards, 6-8 TDs shouldn't be too much to ask. I wouldn't expect anything from Walker, he's way too hard to pin down.

If that is how your 3 catchers perform, while they won't WIN you many games, they won't be lagging so badly that you lose because of the WR position.

Scheffler is a fine option at TE, and is a sleeper candidate.

Drop a D/ST if you haven't already.

So, especially for an autopicked squad (I HATE autopicked squads) it really isn't terrible. But you probably should start sniffing out trade possibilities. The only player I would really put in the "untouchable" category on your team would be Addai.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Jones FTW wrote:

Westbrook, Lewis, Jacobs

This is a better club.

Westbrook is a stud, and Lewis is a great #2.

Bulger is being undervalued and should have a bounceback year.

Your WR corps is terrifying, and after [inappropriate/removed] Marshall gets back from his timeout should easily be the strongest in the league. This is your power position, remember that.

The rest of your positions are fine. TE is just "okay", but that's not a make or break position.

Here's a question: How many roster slots are you allowed, and what are the starting lineup positions? I'm counting 12 roster slots on your team. That is incredibly small, and doesn't leave you with a lot of wiggle room. Knowing what the starting slots are would also help with trade advice.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DannyB wrote:
James Jones FTW wrote:

Westbrook, Lewis, Jacobs

This is a better club.

Westbrook is a stud, and Lewis is a great #2.

Bulger is being undervalued and should have a bounceback year.

Your WR corps is terrifying, and after [inappropriate/removed] Marshall gets back from his timeout should easily be the strongest in the league. This is your power position, remember that.

The rest of your positions are fine. TE is just "okay", but that's not a make or break position.

Here's a question: How many roster slots are you allowed, and what are the starting lineup positions? I'm counting 12 roster slots on your team. That is incredibly small, and doesn't leave you with a lot of wiggle room. Knowing what the starting slots are would also help with trade advice.

Starters
1 QB
2 RB
3 WR
1 K
1 TE
1 Defense

Backup
5 spots
DannyB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm trying to count who's on your team and having trouble, but I think I've got 14.

One thing: You REALLY need more depth at RB. Drop your backup TE, you can always find a bye-week replacement at that position. Grab a RB, just ANY RB that has potential value, even a deep sleeper. You've gotta beef up that position.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first team isnt flashy but you should be competative, and for your first draft, thats all you could ask for.

Your second team is better, andshows you "get it" as far as trying to always get better and understand fantasy better.

As this is your first experience at fantasy, going thru an autodraft is common, as you may not know all players/positions/teams. In future drafts, Im sure you'll be better prepared, and will draft accordingly. Welcome to the world of fantasy.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Fantasy Football All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: