Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Goodbye Corey Simon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phreak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Goodbye Corey Simon Reply with quote

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/homeNewsDetail.jsp?id=33818

Eagles withdrew the franchise tag, he is now an unrestricted free agent. We get nothing for him.

I've been telling everybody that if you just give me a chance to put the ball in my hands, I can get the job done. - Brian Westbrook
ChrisBrown

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are doing Exactly what Titans have been doing for Years . DT are Replaceble with Young Talent pretty Easily in the 4-3 Def . DE are another story look at the Titans . Lost Kearse what happened . You guys gained Kearse and what happened . Had nothing to do with Simon .

Thomas was better anyways
aafroe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I am not worried about this in the least. We are just making sooner, surer steps towards the future. I am not nearly as worried about this as I was when the Eagles revoked the franchise tag from Trotter. My only qualms at all with this are that we did not get any compensation, and that he has been hogging the number 90 from some young players who would really appreciate it.
ChrisBrown

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aafroe wrote:
Honestly, I am not worried about this in the least. We are just making sooner, surer steps towards the future. I am not nearly as worried about this as I was when the Eagles revoked the franchise tag from Trotter. My only qualms at all with this are that we did not get any compensation, and that he has been hogging the number 90 from some young players who would really appreciate it.

Number 90 will be going to Kearse .
Phreak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aafroe wrote:

I feel the same way, I don't think this will hurt us. It would have been nice to trade him but atleast now we'll get a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick. I think Corey Simon is overrated, people just think he's so good because he's always rated high in madden. But in all honesty, he isn't a sack artist and he isn't to good against the run. We'll be fine without him.

I've been telling everybody that if you just give me a chance to put the ball in my hands, I can get the job done. - Brian Westbrook
Phreak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisBrown wrote:

No I don't think so. Kearse isn't one of those guys who have to have a certain number, I remember when we signed him he said at his press conference he'd wear a blank jersey if he could. Kearse's Eagle #93 represents a new era in his football career, I can't imagine him wearing 90 this year, it would be weird. Laughing

ChrisBrown

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phreak wrote:
ChrisBrown wrote:

No I don't think so. Kearse isn't one of those guys who have to have a certain number, I remember when we signed him he said at his press conference he'd wear a blank jersey if he could. Kearse's Eagle #93 represents a new era in his football career, I can't imagine him wearing 90 this year, it would be weird. Laughing

Yah Kearse is a different type of player . You know what he does in his free time ????? Eagles fans have nothing to worry about the team will not miss a beat without Simon

I hope the Eagles keep using Kearse as a LB and FG block situations . Kearse used to block FG all the time in practice with the TITANS everytime they wanted to use him he would be injured though
Yo_Its_T.O.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phreak wrote:
ChrisBrown wrote:

It would also ruin my brothers jersey.

Thanks EAtotheGLE
kiwi eagle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i understand that simon wasnt good against the run but he was a really good pass rusher. sas to see him go coz he was one of my fav players. I just hope we can have him back at a discounted rate. id much rather have him than walker even if he costs us an extra 2 million
Iggles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was lazy and took plays off. We have unprecedented depth at DT, so you shouldn't worry. We'll be just as good without him, and we'll also have the open cap to re-sign Michael Lewis AND Brian Westbrook.
ok go26

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iggles wrote:
He was lazy and took plays off. We have unprecedented depth at DT, so you shouldn't worry. We'll be just as good without him, and we'll also have the open cap to re-sign Michael Lewis AND Brian Westbrook.

Not too sad to see him go but would've much preferred to get something in return for him (a player about to get released?... a 7th round pick?... anything???).

And as for this "unprecedented depth" it's not as much the depth I'm concerned about as another adequate starter, we have Darwin Walker and then what, Patterson? Rayburn? No one who can rush the passer as well as Simon but at least we'll have a little extra run support, although I hope that without him we can still put the same amount of pressure on the quarterback.

And on a final note, you really hate to see a 5th overall pick go without getting anything in return.

"If you've got it, flaunt it. If you don't, flaunt statistics."
Iggles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patterson and Rayburn are both more than adequate replacements. It's a cap saving measure that definitely works to the Eagles' advantage. And yes, having 2 backup DT's who would be decent starters IS unprecedented depth.
Yo_Its_T.O.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't like the front office didn't try to get anything for him. They talked to Baltimore, Buffalo, and tried to work something out but Simon refused to budge on his stand that he deserves the most money. If the Eagles could not crack a long term deal then what team has the cap-space to do it. Don't the Eagles for not getting anything in return blame Simon for arrogance in asking for an outrageous salary.

Thanks EAtotheGLE
Iggles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we get in return is a massive cap surge right before a flood of people get cut. We now have the money to get back Westbrook, and also pursue someone like Peerless Price at the same time. Most teams as of now do not have the cap to pursue the big name waivers, so we have the ability to jump in and grab a bunch.
Phreak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not to sure that we will be signing anybody before the season starts, I think AR is confident with the team we have now. I think we will use the extra money to lock up Westbrook, and maybe Mike Lewis but other than that, Eagles will save it. Banner and Heckart would love to have lots of money for next years free agency, it's going to be a good one.

If your curious to see which Eagles are signed threw what year, check this out...

http://boards.philadelphiaeagles.com/index.php?showtopic=228504

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: