Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Texas Longhorns Thread V.II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 93, 94, 95  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestonedkoala wrote:
And that's the problem. I think Texas NEEDS a head coach.

Already on the #FireMack bandwagon

^^^mack
Underwood

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestonedkoala wrote:
And that's the problem. I think Texas NEEDS a head coach.

You might be right. At this point, I wouldn't mind seeing Mack out of there. Thing is, who would you replace him with? Someone on staff? I have to think recruiting takes a hit if he goes. I don't mind Harsin. Today wasn't the best example, but I think he's done a pretty solid job so far with what he has. Diaz's unit is the one getting ridiculously outclassed every game.

Sig by Eaglezphan21
CWood21

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwood wrote:
You might be right. At this point, I wouldn't mind seeing Mack out of there. Thing is, who would you replace him with? Someone on staff? I have to think recruiting takes a hit if he goes. I don't mind Harsin. Today wasn't the best example, but I think he's done a pretty solid job so far with what he has. Diaz's unit is the one getting ridiculously outclassed every game.

They dropped the ball by letting Muschamp get away.
Underwood

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:

They dropped the ball by letting Muschamp get away.

Hindsight and all that. Muschamp didn't want to wait any longer and they didn't want to force Brown out at the time, I guess. It would be nice to have him right about now, though.

Sig by Eaglezphan21
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwood wrote:

Texas sells itself. I think it's kind of overblown. Harsin does a good job recruiting. But Texas sells itself. Diaz I think comes from a old school mentality of SEC and SEC =/= Big12
Texasmade

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to pour salt on an open wound or anything, but Jackson Jeffcoat and Jordan Hicks are out for the rest of the year, and there's a good chance David Ash will be out for the next few games as well.

Fml.
Str8Wreckin08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestonedkoala wrote:
Well that was an odd play O.o

All in all, it starts at the top. I think Brown is starting to wear out his coaching seat. Constantly embarrassed by Oklahoma is not a good way to show your a good coach.

I agree man. Me and my Pops been saying that for years. Its time for a change. The whole city of Austin is flat because of him.
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What woudl be your guy's choices of coaches?

Sig bet
brassglobos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texasmade wrote:
Not to pour salt on an open wound or anything, but Jackson Jeffcoat and Jordan Hicks are out for the rest of the year, and there's a good chance David Ash will be out for the next few games as well.

Fml.

What happened to Hicks? I know he's missed the last few games with a sore hip but why is he out for the season?
Texasmade

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
What woudl be your guy's choices of coaches?
If LaLa land became a reality it'd be one of Nick Saban, Jim Harbaugh or Pete Carroll.

As for more realistic options:
-Kirby Smart
- Charlie Strong
- David Shaw
- Gary Patterson
- Art Briles
- Kevin Sumlin (more or less just to mess with the ags)
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they turned it over to Applewhite or Harsin and see if they can't cut their teeth. I think Harsin is still a bit conservative because of Brown.

EDIT: All right, long rant incoming.

I've been a fan of Texas for a long, long time now. They have had some ridiculous talent over the years and seemingly they get top 5 recruiting classes each year. The problem is, that talent isn't translating over to wins and that starts at the top.

I think Mack Brown is a great guy. He's a great person. But he's not a good coach. He's gotten lucky with some great talent over the years. But his defense over the years have been bad to atrocious with maybe a good season here or there. He also a bit too loyal and in a business like football being loyal could get you tossed out faster than yesterday's news. He kept Greg Davis too long. He didn't adjust. And we are seeing that. It feels like Texas is stuck in second gear while everyone has moved to third gear. Spread offense, no-huddle, guys like Harvin, Young are the staple of today's NFL. Quick, ultra-athletic guys. And Texas has them but they aren't utilizing them. They aren't bringing out the best in the players. They are playing old school football in a new school environment and it's not working.

Which leads to a very troubling second point; Texas isn't preparing their players for the next level. While it's harsh to think about, college football is simply a development program for the NFL. And they aren't preparing their athletes to succeed at the next level.

Texas has a long tradition and with college football the prince (the NFL is the king) of sports now, Texas shouldn't settle for second best. I think Brown did well when the game wasn't about these freak athletes that had speed to give. But he's from an older generation that is stuck in the past.

I think Brown would make an excellent AD, though.
Str8Wreckin08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Barnett who use to coach the Buffs would be a great pick.

I mean look what he did with the talent that he had. Laughing
Str8Wreckin08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know somethings wrong when you have a wide 9 split inside your opponents 5 yard line which allows a 90 yard plus run.

That play against ou said alot of things. The interior Dline is weak. Why, even after all the high profile recruits at that critical building block of your defense?

It showed the lac of awareness of the coaching staff.

It showed the weak linebacker play of the longhors which has been a problem since Mack Brown has arrived. They don't flow to the ball properly, show lack of instintive play. :Lookiing at the ou linbacker play and Texas's linbacker play clearly showed who was better coached.

That play also showed that the safety posistion is poorly coached. Bad angles, lack of assertivness which is your last line of defense.

Texas needs a tough guy coach! We have the players. We need to recruit some mean nasty hogs up front from east Texas. Get some players from Houston and Dallas, and we got a squad. Yes Mack Brown has this type of motto he wants to set for the whole city. As Austin is a classy town.

But, this is Texas and you have to be tough. I respect A&M fans. Yes Ut fans try to outclass them, but A&M fans will be loud, rowdy, and will fight to death.

We need to get mean and tough as in the days of DK Royal. Aggresive running game, and good defense with hard hitters.

Yes we have a rich tradition. But we have to get tough. Mack Brown is a heck of a ceo. Team manager. But is he a hands on coach like Nick Saban, or the Great Bill Snyder? Does he show fight like these guys?

If it was me, I would let let Bryan Harson be head coach, Let Major Applewhite be offensive cordinator to put him in position to be the next Texas head coach (as he is a great play caller, running an exciting balanced offense as he showcased at alabama).

Major is made to be a head coach. He is one of the great ones. Its only right. He can win us a national championship.
Calvert28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to think that it's not particularly the coaches at Texas but the politics.

Mack Brown has been fantastic at selling the boosters on his way of doing things. But earlier in his career when push came to shove I think he gave in too pressure such as the Simms and Applewhite situation. He only recently learned how to deal with them and do things his way, but on top of the stress from the university, I just don't think he has it has a coach or a politician anymore.

If we can find someone who knows how to handle and juggle both jobs. Then yes, the possibilities for Texas are endless.

Edit: And before people say it or ask it. Yes boosters have tremendous pull with the university and what they want, they typically get or there is punishment. Like for example wanting star power on the field instead of the right tool.

Sciz wrote:
The sarcastic comments are getting old. We already dislike you. Don't make it worse.
LIES!
Underwood

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FI-RE DI-AZ! CLAP-CLAP-CLAPCLAPCLAP

But yeah. That was painful to watch.

Sig by Eaglezphan21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 93, 94, 95  Next
Page 75 of 95

Jump to: