Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Nats/LaRoche Agree to two year contract
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeezy Fanatic

Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Nats/LaRoche Agree to two year contract Reply with quote

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2013/01/08/adam-laroche-nationals-agree-to-terms/

Quote:
The final contract details are not yet known. The original offer LaRoche was weighing was believed to be roughly $25 million.

Meh I guess I'm ok with it. Means Michael Morse will now almost certainly be traded.

Sig By Mike23md

Adopt A Skin

Leonard Hankerson
Santana Moss
Brandon Meriweather
ramssuperbowl99

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deal for the Nats. That's a solid ball club top to bottom.

C - Ramos
1B - LaRoche
2B - Espinosa
SS - Desmond
3B - Zimmerman
LF - Werth
CF - Span
RF - Harper

SP - Strasburg
SP - Zimmerman
SP - Gonzalez
SP - Haren
SP - Detwiler

Nasty.

If the Rays are smart, they'll go get Morse.

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
Slateman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not happy about it. Morse brings more than a bat. He has character and fan appeal. How many other players get an entire stadium to sing his walk up song?

There's a better chance Morse repeats his 2011 season than Laroche repeats 2012.

Morse's bat > Laroche's bat

And frankly, at first base, that's all I care about. A distant second to hitting production is his ability to hold a good conversation at first base.
Jeezy Fanatic

Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
I'm not happy about it. Morse brings more than a bat. He has character and fan appeal. How many other players get an entire stadium to sing his walk up song?

There's a better chance Morse repeats his 2011 season than Laroche repeats 2012.

And frankly, at first base, that's all I care about. A distant second to hitting production is his ability to hold a good conversation at first base.

I'm on the same page, I assume the deal was because we felt we didn't have enough lefty pop in the lineup, but personally I thought Harper/Moore could've handled it.

Gotta figure we'll be looking to deal for lefty bullpen help now, not sure what's out there though.

Sig By Mike23md

Adopt A Skin

Leonard Hankerson
Santana Moss
Brandon Meriweather
gofrogs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they should have different levels of offers for the FA to make it a litle easier for them to get fair market value. Maybe he team only has to give up a 3rd round pick if the player is over the age 30 or 32. And only a first round pick if the player lead the team or league in an imporant stat like WAR or ERA and a second round pick if said player falls in the middle of that. But to get the first round pick the team has to offer $16M for a 2nd its $14.6 and for a third its $13.3.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:

I think you're grossly overrating Morse here. He's posted one season with a WAR over 1.1. Even if you don't love WAR, you can at least acknowledge that he's been below-average for much of his career. His BB rate is also trending downward in a hurry, down to 3.3% last year, which is dismal. Combine that with an increasing K rate, and you have a problem. Morse isn't a bad player, but he's probably an OK 1B, whose not as good as LaRoche. The perception that Morse is an above-average player could play big for the Nats if they can ship him off for something pretty.

I do love watching Morse play though, dude takes some big hacks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gofrogs wrote:
Maybe they should have different levels of offers for the FA to make it a litle easier for them to get fair market value. Maybe he team only has to give up a 3rd round pick if the player is over the age 30 or 32. And only a first round pick if the player lead the team or league in an imporant stat like WAR or ERA and a second round pick if said player falls in the middle of that. But to get the first round pick the team has to offer $16M for a 2nd its $14.6 and for a third its $13.3.

Any ideas?

I think we should just award the team that lost a pick, and not penalize the team that signed. Gives small market teams a chance, and doesn't screw over FAs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
Slateman wrote:

I think you're grossly overrating Morse here. He's posted one season with a WAR over 1.1. Even if you don't love WAR, you can at least acknowledge that he's been below-average for much of his career. His BB rate is also trending downward in a hurry, down to 3.3% last year, which is dismal. Combine that with an increasing K rate, and you have a problem. Morse isn't a bad player, but he's probably an OK 1B, whose not as good as LaRoche. The perception that Morse is an above-average player could play big for the Nats if they can ship him off for something pretty.

I do love watching Morse play though, dude takes some big hacks.

Go from 2010 to 2012 with Morse. He's been a superior hitter. When he's healthy, he's simply a better hitter. By a lot. I'm also expecting Laroche to regress to career norms next season. Probably something like .260 and 23-27 homers.

His BB% has always been low. His BABIP has awlays been high. I don't care. He's in his prime. He mashes. Every time he's gotten substantial playing time, Morse crushes it.

Laroche is well over 30, has a history of injuries as well, and just came off a career year. He will not play like he did last year.
gofrogs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
gofrogs wrote:

Any ideas?

I think we should just award the team that lost a pick, and not penalize the team that signed. Gives small market teams a chance, and doesn't screw over FAs.

Thats sound like a solid solution something has to be better than this. Lohse and Bourn are getting screwed. Bourne could have got $90M instead he might get a 1 year deal for $10-$12 M, Lohse is ready to get tyhe last big payday of his career not he might have to settle for a minor league deal then sign an extention.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gofrogs wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:
gofrogs wrote:

Any ideas?

Thats sound like a solid solution something has to be better than this. Lohse and Bourn are getting screwed. Bourne could have got $90M instead he might get a 1 year deal for $10-$12 M, Lohse is ready to get tyhe last big payday of his career not he might have to settle for a minor league deal then sign an extention.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Bourn isn't getting a 1 year deal. Every team in baseball would sign him. And Lohse on a minor league deal is hilarious.

Each guy has multi year offers, but hasn't gotten the number they want.

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
gofrogs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
gofrogs wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:
gofrogs wrote:

Any ideas?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Bourn isn't getting a 1 year deal. Every team in baseball would sign him. And Lohse on a minor league deal is hilarious.

Each guy has multi year offers, but hasn't gotten the number they want.

Lohse said himself he hasnt had one offer yet. And Bourn could do a Boras "pillow" deal for a year with some language saying he cant be tendered.. And signing a minor league deal is another thing brought up by Lohses agent as a way around the pick. He could sign the minor league deal, then sign a 3 year extention for $16M per. But many think MLB would frown on that but its posssible and far from laughable.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nationals are looking for a LHRP and a prospect for Morse.... Seems like Philly, Mariners and Rangers, in that order, seem to match up for those needs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nats are the most complete team in NL
Slateman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gofrogs wrote:
Nationals are looking for a LHRP and a prospect for Morse.... Seems like Philly, Mariners and Rangers, in that order, seem to match up for those needs.

Indians, Rays, and Yankees could use another bat. If Morse is willing to DH.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty pricey for an inconsistent hitter. I know he can hit 20-25 HR with around 75-80 RBI, but his inconsistencies aren't worth roughly 12.5 million a year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: