Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sports Illustrated
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aafroe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Sports Illustrated Reply with quote

In what seems like an all too prevalent theme, the SI geniuses have picked and awfully unlikely Super Bowl winner in the Panthers, who currently are 18-1 odds in Vegas to win the Super Bowl. They also ripped the Eagles in the player value rankings, putting McNabb at 6 among QBs behind players like Marc Bulger, putting Westbrook at 22 among RBs behind players like Marshall Faulk (who will not even start), putting Owens at 6 among WRs behind Reggie Wayne who is not even the number one on his team and putting LJ Smith as the number 7 TE (which is fair, but he is behind Ben Watson who does not even have one full season under his belt.)

I can not stand SI, Dr. Z and all of their "gurus" making predictions. They have no credibility at all and are merely trying to sound like they have the inside scoop by being different than all of the other predicting media outlets. They constantly slight good teams like the Eagles and Patriots and glorify mediocre teams like the Panthers and Chiefs. Their whole basis for their predictions is that they want an obscure pick to come through and they want to be able to tell the public "I told you so." the problem with this is that they never end up being correct, as they have only picked one correct Super Bowl winner in the last 10 years and just wind up losing all credibility.
Iggles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but McNabb behind Bulger and Owens behind Wayne shows that the SI writers know nothing. There are maybe 3 QB's better than McNabb: Manning, Culpepper, and maybe Brady. That's it.
Phreak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iggles wrote:
There are maybe 3 QB's better than McNabb: Manning, Culpepper, and maybe Brady. That's it.

Are you sure your an Eagle fan?

I've been telling everybody that if you just give me a chance to put the ball in my hands, I can get the job done. - Brian Westbrook
Iggles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an Eagles fan, but I know how to be fair. Those are the three QB's I might put ahead of McNabb. I hate it when others do it to us, so I try to be fair to them. It's like when people don't put TO in their top 5. It ticks me off, so I try not to be like that.
Broad Street Bullies

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imo, culpepper and mcnabb are on the same level. culpepper never had as good of a system as mcnabb does, which is why he never won more than 8 games in a season.
senasational

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phreak wrote:
Iggles wrote:
There are maybe 3 QB's better than McNabb: Manning, Culpepper, and maybe Brady. That's it.

Definitly an Eagles fan, "maybe Brady" Rolling Eyes Laughing .
ok go26

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

senasational wrote:
Phreak wrote:
Iggles wrote:

Definitly an Eagles fan, "maybe Brady" Rolling Eyes Laughing .

The mark of a Patriots fan... sure Brady's a great QB but he doesn't really have to do that much, in being as unhomerly as possible, I don't think I could categorize these QBs that easily, probably putting McNabb a slight step over Brady, but to put Brady unconditionally and surely over McNabb would just be stupid. I mean come on sensational, try to look at it in a neutral view at least a little?

Oh, and I'll admit that a surefire Brady over McNabb isn't nearly as stupid as Bulger over McNabb. Or Wayne over Owens (this perhaps being the worst of them all). Downplaying the Patriots, IMO, is just as bad, and as for the Panthers? I like them as the second best team in the NFC, but barring injuries to McNabb, Owens, Westbrook, Jon Runyan, Jeremiah Trotter, Lito Sheppard, and Sheldon Brown, the Panthers won't beat us again, and if they somehow do than they definitely won't get through the AFC representative in the Super Bowl. As I said I think they'll be good, but you can just as easily pick the Bengals to win the Super Bowl.

Actually, come to think of it, pick any team, and I can come up with some bullcrap, SI-esque reasons why that team will win the super bowl. Seriously. Any team, I can do it just as well as they can. Try me.

"If you've got it, flaunt it. If you don't, flaunt statistics."
ok go26

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I think ESPN just topped SI, or close to it... in their NFL preview article, none of the 4 analysts even predict the Eagles to go to the Super Bowl, oh and the consensus pick for Super Bowl Champion is the Minnesota Vikings. Yeah, not just one analyst's pick, the consensus pick.

Like I said, give me absolutely any team, and I can make just a compelling argument (or close to one) for why that team is going to win the Super Bowl.

Iggles

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I disagree wholeheartedly with ESPN, but we'll show em after this season.
MightyMouse07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sports Illustrated Reply with quote

aafroe wrote:
In what seems like an all too prevalent theme, the SI geniuses have picked and awfully unlikely Super Bowl winner in the Panthers, who currently are 18-1 odds in Vegas to win the Super Bowl. They also ripped the Eagles in the player value rankings, putting McNabb at 6 among QBs behind players like Marc Bulger, putting Westbrook at 22 among RBs behind players like Marshall Faulk (who will not even start), putting Owens at 6 among WRs behind Reggie Wayne who is not even the number one on his team and putting LJ Smith as the number 7 TE (which is fair, but he is behind Ben Watson who does not even have one full season under his belt.)

I can not stand SI, Dr. Z and all of their "gurus" making predictions. They have no credibility at all and are merely trying to sound like they have the inside scoop by being different than all of the other predicting media outlets. They constantly slight good teams like the Eagles and Patriots and glorify mediocre teams like the Panthers and Chiefs. Their whole basis for their predictions is that they want an obscure pick to come through and they want to be able to tell the public "I told you so." the problem with this is that they never end up being correct, as they have only picked one correct Super Bowl winner in the last 10 years and just wind up losing all credibility.

Yea Si can never get anything rite in any sport. So the Eagles shouldn't be too worried and there is no way that TO is the sixth best reciever in the league he is definitely either number one or two with Moss they are stupid to have him behind Wayne. And McNabb is defintely top 4 behind Brady, manning, and C-Pepp.

“Anytime I step out there I give everything I got, on every single play.” - Ray Lewis
Iggles

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously doubt noone but Dr. Z would put Bulger and Green ahead of McNabb. SI never gets the PVRs right, but this year they are way off. I mean, JJ is nine and McNabb is 33! I think even Dallas fans would agree McNabb is better than JJ.
ok go26

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iggles wrote:
I think even Dallas fans would agree McNabb is better than JJ.

From what I've seen of Dallas fans, idk... but even for them I think comparisons like Trent Green or McNabb would be a no-brainer, and even Chiefs fans could agree to that one.

shadow walker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iggles wrote:
Sorry, but McNabb behind Bulger and Owens behind Wayne shows that the SI writers know nothing. There are maybe 3 QB's better than McNabb: Manning, Culpepper, and maybe Brady. That's it.

but there is a reason why they are sports writers and me are you are not. Laughing

one of the great ones on this site
ok go26

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadow walker wrote:
Iggles wrote:

but there is a reason why they are sports writers and me are you are not. Laughing

True, but it doesn't have anything to do with the amount of knowledge they have. In fact, in many cases it just has to do with the fact that they are recognizable names (probably a good reason Joe Theismann and Steve Young put in two of the votes for ESPN the Magazine's Super Bowl projections...). I mean come on shadow walker, this is an awful, awful argument... if you actually would like to explain to all of us how a backup running back is more valuable to his team than a player like Brian Westbrook, be my guest, but saying something like that does nothing for any of us. Discuss what the "analysts" say, don't just say that they are right and we're not because it's what they're getting paid to do.

L.J smith#82

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phreak wrote:
Iggles wrote:

yer im definatly an eagles fan Mcnabb is a top 4 QB being placed at #4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: