Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

HUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Iggles


Joined: 22 Jun 2005
Posts: 24909
Location: Brooklyn
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Eagles are saving cap for what should be a huge free agency next year. There are going to be plenty of guys the Eagles can now pursue with all that cap. Perhaps more good pickups, like the Owens and Kearse moves last year.
_________________
Kelly Link wrote:
Television characters almost always have better haircuts, funnier friends, simpler attitudes toward sex. They marry magicians, win lotteries, have affairs with women who carry guns in their purses.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MightyMouse07


Joined: 04 Jul 2005
Posts: 28183
Location: Sloville
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Cowboys fan, seeing the Eagles with all that cap room scares me to death.
_________________
R.I.P. Nikolas and Brian you will truly be missed.

“Anytime I step out there I give everything I got, on every single play.” - Ray Lewis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ok go26


Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 5156
Location: outside Philly
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyMouse07 wrote:
As a Cowboys fan, seeing the Eagles with all that cap room scares me to death.

You're a Cowboys fan? lol
_________________


"If you've got it, flaunt it. If you don't, flaunt statistics."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ThePeoplesChamp


Joined: 21 Jun 2005
Posts: 81
Location: Home of the Cheese Steak
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All eagles fans should stop crying, the cap room is saving us in the future. Im a little down about ritchie's release, but obviously the eagles know something we don't bout his injury. The leftover money is going to be used to keep akers here and happy. Plus maybe they can give T.O. some money under the table to shut his A@# up. Lamar Gordon will help us, good signing Mr. Banner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MightyMouse07


Joined: 04 Jul 2005
Posts: 28183
Location: Sloville
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok go26 wrote:
MightyMouse07 wrote:
As a Cowboys fan, seeing the Eagles with all that cap room scares me to death.

You're a Cowboys fan? lol


Yea you didn't know that.
_________________
R.I.P. Nikolas and Brian you will truly be missed.

“Anytime I step out there I give everything I got, on every single play.” - Ray Lewis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ok go26


Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 5156
Location: outside Philly
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyMouse07 wrote:
ok go26 wrote:
MightyMouse07 wrote:
As a Cowboys fan, seeing the Eagles with all that cap room scares me to death.

You're a Cowboys fan? lol


Yea you didn't know that.


Haha nope, not until you just said that (and i saw your sig) lol
_________________


"If you've got it, flaunt it. If you don't, flaunt statistics."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CKYRO1


Joined: 04 Sep 2005
Posts: 123
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: CAP ROOM? Reply with quote

You guys do realize that cap room does not carry over to the next year. It's actually pretty stupid not to spend the money. I really think through all the Westbrook and TO stuff, that not signing simon will keep the birdies from returning the the big game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ok go26


Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 5156
Location: outside Philly
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: CAP ROOM? Reply with quote

CKYRO1 wrote:
You guys do realize that cap room does not carry over to the next year. It's actually pretty stupid not to spend the money. I really think through all the Westbrook and TO stuff, that not signing simon will keep the birdies from returning the the big game.


Eh Simon wasn't really too much of an impact player, you can have your reasons for the Eagles not returning to the Bowl but I don't think that justifies it (and IMO the fact remains the NFC is just too weak), and I mean yeah you're right we could go splurge on a bunch of people with one year deals instead of keeping the money and you may be right that it's the better move but I mean there are reasons for keeping it, like injuries during the season and all, and is there anyone good enough out there to make it worth cutting someone who played 4 good hard preseason games to make the team and who has shown their worth to the team and all? This may be the biggest reason we'll keep the extra dollars. Oh and Simon wanted more than a one-year deal, which would have cost us money in the next offseason, which may be the justification you're looking for of the otherwise possibly curious fact that Simon was not re-signed this offseason. Wow, that was long, and rant-ish... possibly cause it's about 1 in the morning, so now might be a good time to stop. Um... go Eagles!
_________________


"If you've got it, flaunt it. If you don't, flaunt statistics."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CKYRO1


Joined: 04 Sep 2005
Posts: 123
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon was the guy that helped let trotter do what he did last year. having agreat DT lets your LB's wreak havoc. He was pretty dominate at the DT position. I believe he was a pro bowler. And if I'm the GM, and I've got a shot to win the superbowl, i'm spending the money to try and get there while i can. The nfl runs in cycles, and the eagles are in a good cycle right now. so, why not take advantage of it. also, i'd understand your "saving dollars" premise if this was the beginning of free agency, but there are no more big dollars guys that will be available now that the season is starting. if you didn't notice, the nfc is much stronger than last year. i think both the cowboys and giants looked much better in the preseason.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ok go26


Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 5156
Location: outside Philly
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKYRO1 wrote:
Simon was the guy that helped let trotter do what he did last year. having agreat DT lets your LB's wreak havoc. He was pretty dominate at the DT position. I believe he was a pro bowler. And if I'm the GM, and I've got a shot to win the superbowl, i'm spending the money to try and get there while i can. The nfl runs in cycles, and the eagles are in a good cycle right now. so, why not take advantage of it. also, i'd understand your "saving dollars" premise if this was the beginning of free agency, but there are no more big dollars guys that will be available now that the season is starting. if you didn't notice, the nfc is much stronger than last year. i think both the cowboys and giants looked much better in the preseason.


Honestly, I don't believe it was Simon who let Trotter do what he wanted last year, Trotter needed a bigger guy or two who was capable of clogging up the middle, which was not Simon's strong suit, as he is a smaller DT. We began, however, cycling in our two 300+ lb guys, Sam Rayburn and Hollis Thomas, alongside Simon or Darwin Walker, and I think that this, along with the late addition of run-stopping OLB Keith Adams, is what finally allowed Trotter to wreak havoc at the line and on RBs, and what finally made our run D begin to work.

Don't get me wrong, Simon was a great player and an excellent pass rusher, who should be lethal in Indianapolis with Freeney, but I don't think that we needed him nearly as much as you say we did. While, yes, it may come back to bite us that we were reasonable with our cap dollars and did not re-sign Simon, I do not think that we will be injured nearly as much as in fact many people think, and if any off-season decision comes back to haunt us, it will be that we did not pursue a player like Peter Boulware, or a better 2nd WR, not the fact that we did not cripple our cap for the next however many years by signing a player who we do not much need.
_________________


"If you've got it, flaunt it. If you don't, flaunt statistics."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CKYRO1


Joined: 04 Sep 2005
Posts: 123
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so do you want to win a super bowl this year, or do you just want to have more 12-4 seasons without a ring. i'd go for the superbowl. once you get one it creates a different winning attitude. look at baltimore before they won, or new england, or as far back as the 49ers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ok go26


Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 5156
Location: outside Philly
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKYRO1 wrote:
so do you want to win a super bowl this year, or do you just want to have more 12-4 seasons without a ring. i'd go for the superbowl. once you get one it creates a different winning attitude. look at baltimore before they won, or new england, or as far back as the 49ers.


...I want to win a Super Bowl, but as I just attempted to explain in the two paragraphs above, I do not think Corey Simon would be at all a necessary piece to our winning a Super Bowl. I'm not really sure how this post relates to the paragraphs I wrote above.
_________________


"If you've got it, flaunt it. If you don't, flaunt statistics."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group