Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Doctson will have to earn his starting spot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Doctson will have to earn his starting spot Reply with quote

Josh Doctson trying to earn starting job. ‪Jay Gruden explains why Josh Doctson isn't playing with Redskins 1st team offense, yet:

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/jay-gruden-explains-why-josh-doctson-isnt-playing-redskins-1st-team-offense-yet?utm_content=buffere8b97&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

At this point it shouldn't shock anyone that Doctson isn't getting starting reps right now. Ryan Grant is getting the reps as the starting wr at this point and I think the only reason is because he's the most experienced receiver on the Redskins roster. Remember guys, it's June, this means very little at this point. I fully expect Doctson to be the starter opposite Pryor in September for week 1 vs Philadelphia.

Quote:
2016 first-round pick Josh Doctson, however, was on the sideline. Instead, fourth-year wideout Ryan Grant took the field with the first unit as the third receiver.

"They’re both good receivers. They’re both going to play," Washington head coach Jay Gruden said about Doctson and Grant. "The good thing about Ryan is that he can play all over the place."

Gruden explained that the Redskins are focused on teaching Doctson to play the "Z" receiver position. Considering he played in just two games as a rookie and caught only two balls, much of Doctson's work this offseason is like beginning from square one. The Z receiver usually plays on the strong side of the field off the line of scrimmage, with the "X" working alone on the other side of the offense.

"He can play both, but right now we’re trying to start him at Z and see how it goes. That would be the plan," Gruden said.

Pryor is locked into the X receiver role, that much looks certain. It seems like Grant taking snaps with the first team is more about rewarding his hard work and knowledge of the offense than an actual prediction of playing time come September.

If Doctson is healthy, and according to Gruden he is, he will line up opposite Pryor Week 1 against the Eagles. The flashes of speed, skill and smooth route running the former TCU star has shown in OTAs all but assures that.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG

Last edited by turtle28 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Doc Draper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Doctson will have to earn his starting spot Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Josh Doctson trying to earn starting job

‬http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/jay-gruden-explains-why-josh-doctson-isnt-playing-redskins-1st-team-offense-yet?utm_content=buffere8b97&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

At this point it shouldn't shock anyone that Doctson isn't getting starting reps right now. Ryan Grant is getting the reps as the starting wr at this point and I think the only reason is because he's the most experienced receiver on the Redskins roster. Remember guys, it's June, this means very little at this point. I fully expect Doctson to be the starter opposite Pryor in September for week 1 vs Philadelphia.

Quote:
2016 first-round pick Josh Doctson, however, was on the sideline. Instead, fourth-year wideout Ryan Grant took the field with the first unit as the third receiver.

"They’re both good receivers. They’re both going to play," Washington head coach Jay Gruden said about Doctson and Grant. "The good thing about Ryan is that he can play all over the place."

Gruden explained that the Redskins are focused on teaching Doctson to play the "Z" receiver position. Considering he played in just two games as a rookie and caught only two balls, much of Doctson's work this offseason is like beginning from square one. The Z receiver usually plays on the strong side of the field off the line of scrimmage, with the "X" working alone on the other side of the offense.

"He can play both, but right now we’re trying to start him at Z and see how it goes. That would be the plan," Gruden said.

Pryor is locked into the X receiver role, that much looks certain. It seems like Grant taking snaps with the first team is more about rewarding his hard work and knowledge of the offense than an actual prediction of playing time come September.

If Doctson is healthy, and according to Gruden he is, he will line up opposite Pryor Week 1 against the Eagles. The flashes of speed, skill and smooth route running the former TCU star has shown in OTAs all but assures that.

If he can't best out grant Katie bar the door - bustin loose bootsy and the rubber gang style. If you weren't in the 70's or of your some millennial snowflake you're prob saying - doc drunk. And you're right but if you are from 60 or 70's you might understand lol

Thunderstruck! Smile
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Doctson will have to earn his starting spot Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

‬http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/jay-gruden-explains-why-josh-doctson-isnt-playing-redskins-1st-team-offense-yet?utm_content=buffere8b97&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Quote:

If he can't best out grant Katie bar the door - bustin loose bootsy and the rubber gang style. If you weren't in the 70's or of your some millennial snowflake you're prob saying - doc drunk. And you're right but if you are from 60 or 70's you might understand lol

Thunderstruck! Smile
I think they are right for bringing him along slowly, making him learn the Z receiver position and everything that he has to do before giving him the starting job.

Also, I realize Grant isn't the greatest athlete but I still have no doubt that if he did have to be our starter that it wouldn't be the end of the world. He and Cousins have great chemistry, always have since Grant was drafted in 2014. He's not perfect, but if he gets more playing time he could be an average receiver. As I showed before in 2015 he didn't do that poorly as a starter, he had one play where he fell down and it was intercepted and returned for a TD, sometimes that happens. It was also a ball that should have never been thrown by Cousins but still it wasn't like Grant was atrocious when he had to start when Djax missed the first half of the season with his hamstring injury.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as he should
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Doctson will have to earn his starting spot Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Quote:

Thunderstruck! Smile
I think they are right for bringing him along slowly, making him learn the Z receiver position and everything that he has to do before giving him the starting job.

Also, I realize Grant isn't the greatest athlete but I still have no doubt that if he did have to be our starter that it wouldn't be the end of the world. He and Cousins have great chemistry, always have since Grant was drafted in 2014. He's not perfect, but if he gets more playing time he could be an average receiver. As I showed before in 2015 he didn't do that poorly as a starter, he had one play where he fell down and it was intercepted and returned for a TD, sometimes that happens. It was also a ball that should have never been thrown by Cousins but still it wasn't like Grant was atrocious when he had to start when Djax missed the first half of the season with his hamstring injury.

1. He makes Andre Roberts and Rod Gardner look like they had hands of glue.

2. If he gets more playing time, he can become an average receiver? Why would you keep him on the roster then, much less give him on the playing time? Toss him out and see if a kid like Mo Harris can give you something.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Doctson will have to earn his starting spot Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Quote:

Thunderstruck! Smile

1. He makes Andre Roberts and Rod Gardner look like they had hands of glue.

2. If he gets more playing time, he can become an average receiver? Why would you keep him on the roster then, much less give him on the playing time? Toss him out and see if a kid like Mo Harris can give you something.
Grant hasn't dropped that many passes, not nearly as many as 50/50 and Droperts. He dropped a few vs Phila in 2015 when it was really wet that game - no excuse just saying - and he dropped one or two last year in spot duty. I think he can be better with more playing time but hopefully it doesn't come to that because Doctson does great.

I said why Grant is getting the practice time and first team reps. The reasons that Gruden gave are valid, you may not agree with them because you "hope" a guy with less experience could be better but at this point Gruden wants the guy out there running with the 1s who knows the offense the best, runs the best routes and has the best chemistry with Kirk Cousins - other than Crowder - and at the moment that is Ryan Grant.

Mo Harris is getting his chance, it's clear the coaches like him also. Right now it's about competing to make the roster, there's no reason that Grant shouldn't be in that competition along with Harris, Robert Davis, Brian Quick, Kendall Thompson and others.

We'll see what happens, may the best 2 or 3 guys make the roster as the last few WRs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: