You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL not expected to suspend Giants WR Plaxico Burress
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: NFL not expected to suspend Giants WR Plaxico Burress Reply with quote

Quote:
Giants WR Plaxico Burress is not expected to get further discipline by the league for his off-field gun problems. Commissioner Roger Goodell said that because Burress isn't a repeat offender, he shouldn't need more punishment. "We're looking at repeat offenders and we may not wait for the process to conclude when we have repeat offenders," Goodell said. "You can have false accusations once, maybe twice. When you start getting to multiple (arrests), you're putting yourself in the wrong position, you're making the wrong decisions in the wrong places."

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/01/goodell_new_york_giants_burres.html

Obviously that wouldn't matter anyway given the fact Burress might go to jail, but if things work out for him he might play next season.
Tom Brady Tribute
Shockey1979

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if he doesn't go to jail it's only a matter of time until he messes up again. He surely doesn't feel that what he did was wrong and if he can mess up that much with a spouse who is a lawyer then I don't expect him to change his appraoch on life.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is kind of annoying even though i love Plax as a player. The league is not consistant at all with any suspensions.
Gmen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did people actually think he'd be suspended for a prolonged period of time? He's a numbskull, but he hasn't been in as much trouble as Pacman and Henry. Like Goddell said, they're targeting repeat offenders. This is the first time Plax has had a serious brush in with the law.

I'm still expecting something like a four game suspension, but that's something the Giants can live with.

scar988 wrote:
I'm of the belief the best QB in NY right now (July 2017) is Geno Smith.

SMH
MaineEvent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/12/02/national/main4643888.shtml

Quote:
But it's possible he could avoid prison entirely if he pleads guilty to a lesser charge, getting probation and community service. Such plea deals and sentences are frequent in New York for first-time offenders.

http://nfldraftbiblethelegalline.blogspot.com/2008/12/reality-of-burress-saga.html

Quote:
It would appear to look pretty bleak for Burress, however, he is a first time offender. It is very common in New York for first time offenders to plea down to a lesser charge to avoid jail time. Don't be surprised to see Burress plea down to misdemeanor gun charges and receive a virtual slap on the wrist through probation.

The people that want to see him in jail are dreaming. You don't go to jail for shooting yourself in the leg. Not in this legal system.

Cowboys fan;[quote="MightyMouse07"]Ramses will be the best WR in this draft. There are no doubts about that from me.[/quote]
RBrown86

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit.

I was hoping for a lengthy suspension. Plax is to good of a player when he is matched up against the Eagles.
BaltimoreRavens

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

They suspended Jamal for something when before he even played. Dude brought a loaded gun to a club and he doesn't get jack.They never found Biggie and Tupac's murderers, but they could arrest O.J. the next day. Nicole Simpson can't rap! I want justice !
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaineEvent wrote:
Gmen wrote:

Quote:
But it's possible he could avoid prison entirely if he pleads guilty to a lesser charge, getting probation and community service. Such plea deals and sentences are frequent in New York for first-time offenders.

http://nfldraftbiblethelegalline.blogspot.com/2008/12/reality-of-burress-saga.html

Quote:
It would appear to look pretty bleak for Burress, however, he is a first time offender. It is very common in New York for first time offenders to plea down to a lesser charge to avoid jail time. Don't be surprised to see Burress plea down to misdemeanor gun charges and receive a virtual slap on the wrist through probation.

The people that want to see him in jail are dreaming. You don't go to jail for shooting yourself in the leg. Not in this legal system.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this law new? It would depend on the DA, but they could decide to make an example out of Plaxico. I doubt it, but it's possible if someone wants to make a name for themselves.
Bleed Red

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is [inappropriate/removed]
jonu62882

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
Did people actually think he'd be suspended for a prolonged period of time? He's a numbskull, but he hasn't been in as much trouble as Pacman and Henry. Like Goddell said, they're targeting repeat offenders. This is the first time Plax has had a serious brush in with the law.

I'm still expecting something like a four game suspension, but that's something the Giants can live with.

Apparently, Plax was arrested back in 2002, when he was a Steeler, for public intoxication and his brother assauted a police officer.

It also said, "It was the second time Burress has been charged on an alcohol-related offense in the past five months."
http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/20020515steelers0515p3.asp

So, he is a repeat offender and the level of scrutiny should be such. Goodell is such a two-faced phony. How many times has Plax been arrested for some kind of infraction? How is he not a repeat offender, Goodell?
jonu62882

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaineEvent wrote:
Gmen wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Problem with that is that he is pleading not guilty.

"Burress, who accidentally shot himself Friday night in the right thigh at a Manhattan nightclub, did not enter a plea on the class C felony charges, though his attorney said Burress planned to plead not guilty."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3736356

Let me guess, it was the one-armed bandit. Eh, Burress?
MaineEvent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonu62882 wrote:
MaineEvent wrote:
Gmen wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Problem with that is that he is pleading not guilty.

"Burress, who accidentally shot himself Friday night in the right thigh at a Manhattan nightclub, did not enter a plea on the class C felony charges, though his attorney said Burress planned to plead not guilty."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3736356

Let me guess, it was the one-armed bandit. Eh, Burress?

it said he would plead guilty to a lesser charge

Cowboys fan;[quote="MightyMouse07"]Ramses will be the best WR in this draft. There are no doubts about that from me.[/quote]
boston9089

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Goodell is all about consistent punishment, his reasoning behind this leads me to believe that Vick will not get any punishment from the league.

But then again, Goodell is lying, corrupt, and the worst commish ever.
Timbit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, but I can't see Plaxico avoiding jail-time anyways.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonu62882, I know you're a law student. But right now, you're speaking as an Eagles fan (and therefore a Giants hater). I'm not going to get into this legal mumbo jumbo with you, because well, I'm an engineering student.

You seem pretty set on the fact that Burress is going to jail, and won't be back with the Giants. How about a sig bet?

scar988 wrote:
I'm of the belief the best QB in NY right now (July 2017) is Geno Smith.

SMH

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: