You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Franchise Tag and Transition Tag numbers released...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reality_Check

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Franchise Tag and Transition Tag numbers released... Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Franchise-and-transition-numbers-released;_ylt=AsQTxdksVWTSKqDk_.NKkZlDubYF?urn=nfl,137990

The quarterback franchise number is $14.65 million and the transition figure is $12.44 million.

The wide receiver franchise number is $9.88 million and the transition figure is $8.39 million.

The offensive line franchise number is $8.45 million and the transition figure is $7.74 million.

The running back franchise number is $6.62 million and the transition figure is $5.92 million.

The tight end franchise number is $4.46 million and the transition figure is $4.07 million.

The defensive end franchise number is $8.99 million and the transition figure is $7.78 million.

The defensive tackle franchise number is $6.06 million and the transition figure is $5.45 million.

The linebacker franchise number is $8.3 million and the transition figure is $7.48 million.

The safety franchise number is $6.34 million and the transition figure is $5.13 million.

The cornerback franchise number is $9.96 million and the transition figure is $8.37 million.

And the franchise number for a punter/kicker is $2.48 million and $2.26 million for a transition figure.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a transition figure?
Kia Kaha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ i was gonna ask the same

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

The Transition Tag allows a team to tender a player to a one-year contract, however other teams are allowed to sign the player to a long term deal. However, the first team maintains the Right of First Refusal. As far as I can remember off the top of my head, the Transition Tag hasn't been used since 2006. That is because 2006 is the year the Seahawks used the Transition Tag on Steve Hutchinson and then he signed a poison pill laden contract with Minnesota, and the Seahawks could not use their Right of First Refusal. Until the poison pill loophole is closed, it is unlikely that a team will choose to use the transition tag.
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enrage wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

The Transition Tag allows a team to tender a player to a one-year contract, however other teams are allowed to sign the player to a long term deal. However, the first team maintains the Right of First Refusal. As far as I can remember off the top of my head, the Transition Tag hasn't been used since 2006. That is because 2006 is the year the Seahawks used the Transition Tag on Steve Hutchinson and then he signed a poison pill laden contract with Minnesota, and the Seahawks could not use their Right of First Refusal. Until the poison pill loophole is closed, it is unlikely that a team will choose to use the transition tag.

Steelers used it last year.
Enrage

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Enrage wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

Steelers used it last year.

Thanks for reminding me. They used it on Max Starks. No one felt like offering him enough money that he would choose to sign a contract that would be worth more long-term than the transition tag offered for one year.
GBPackBeFresh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question. The player being franchised tagged will be paid more if their previous years salary at 120% is greater than the aforementioned franchise numbers (a la Julius Peppers number being $16.6 million or whatever) correct?
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBPackBeFresh wrote:
Question. The player being franchised tagged will be paid more if their previous years salary at 120% is greater than the aforementioned franchise numbers (a la Julius Peppers number being $16.6 million or whatever) correct?

That is correct.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enrage wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

Two more things:
1. The franchise tag is based on the top 5 salaries at the given position (Enrage, I assume these are the non-exclusive tag amounts, correct? (*)) . The transition tag is based on the top 10 salaries at that position.

2. If a team signs a player away that was transition tagged, the original team gets nothing in return. If a franchise player is signed away, the original team gets two first round picks due in that year's draft. When combined with the poison pill that Enrage speaks about, it's a risky play.

(*) For those that don't know: the non-exclusive franchise tag is based on the top five salaries from last year, but the player can negotiate with other teams for a new contract. The exclusive franchise tag prevents the player from negotiating with any team but his original one, but the tender is based off this year's top five salaries.
56+50=Superbowl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who the he11 would franshise a kicker?

Enrage

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

56+50=Superbowl wrote:

A team that:

A. Wanted to keeps it's kicker
B. Who's kicker wouldn't agree to a contract
C. Who didn't have anyone else they wanted to tag
titans0021

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

56+50=Superbowl wrote:
Rob Bironas is a free agent this year. So I guess the answer to your question is the Tennessee Titans.

Props to mike23md on the sig
BigRam13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Franchise Tag and Transition Tag numbers released... Reply with quote

Reality_Check wrote:

The quarterback franchise number is $14.65 million and the transition figure is $12.44 million.

Matt Cassel is gonna be one rich dude next season. If they franchise him...

"McNair drops, throws right side to Dyson, he dives for the endzone... Didnt make it! He came up 1 yard short."
jackbauer24

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enrage wrote:
56+50=Superbowl wrote:

A team that:

A. Wanted to keeps it's kicker
B. Who's kicker wouldn't agree to a contract
C. Who didn't have anyone else they wanted to tag

Didn't Josh Brown got franchised by Seattle in 07 before going to the Rams this past season?
RBrown86

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LJ Smith d'oh!

If the Eagles are going to use the tag, use it smartly.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: