Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soggywalnut14

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo, have you had a lot of British ales? They are definitely the best made, with my favorites being Boddingtons and Old Speckled Hen. What are your favorite ales?

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
Grading Scale:
1 - Awful, dumped the glass
2 - Could barely finish it, probably won't touch the rest of the six pack
3 - Well Below average, don't look forward to the next one, won't buy again
4 - Below average, so so, I'll drink it, good to finish after you've had a few
5 - Average, OK example of style
6 - Above average, might have to settle for this with less than good selections
7 - Pretty good, seek it out, look forward to drinking it again
8 - Wow, good stuff, hopefully you can find a good source for it
9 - Pay extra for this and buy it when you see it, the best of the best

a few I like, but may not be the best:
Newcastle Brown Ale => 6.8
Killian's Irish Red => 6.3
Sam Adams Boston Lager => 8.5 (to me, it's just a great smooth beer)
Bud Light => 3.0
Budweiser => 3.0
Miller Lite => 1.0
Coors Lite => 1.5 (good beer pong beer)
Yeungling => 4.0
Yuengling Black and Tan => 5.6
Anchor Steam => 7.1

just my views. I'm not as in depth as you, just my own personal opinions on these beers with your scale.

forgot Blue Moon => 7.5

and the avg price for getting drunk is the same. a 12 pack of lite = about 6 bucks, a 6 pack of good stuff is about 6 bucks. I feel like I've listed about every beer I've tried so far in my young life. once I turn 21 I'll make note of other beers I have tried and let you know ho I feel it fits on the scale.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
Waldo

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kona Brewing Company Wailua Wheat

I've got a bit of a soft spot in my heart for this one. The first time I had it was at the Kona Brewing company brewpub in the city of Kona while on my honeymoon. We stayed at the big island and stopped in at that watering hole every day for a little bit while there. If you visit the city of Kona, I highly suggest visiting, it is a few blocks north of the core of the city, a few blocks in from the ocean (if it is still there, it seems to have grown enormously since I was there). First time I had it, it was just a little brewpub, now it can be found in the local grocery store.

This is a wheat ale brewed with passion fruit. It is very light and easy to drink, a chick beer. The passion fruit does not stand out as the only flavor, yet it is there. It really reminds me of a glass of Pinot Grigio in almost every respect. It uses a milder strain of wheat yeast, the esters (banana flavor) isn't very strong, it is there, but not overpowering like some wheat beers. It is a smidge darker than most wheat beers.

What I like about it, it is unique. You really don't see anything like it. It is very drinkable, a good after mowing the lawn beer. Plus the wife likes it, which often isn't the case.

What I don't like, it isn't really all that good. Granted it works well for the style and is an interesting entry, it is more of an oddity than a wow. I've had much better wheat beers.

When it comes down to the novelty of it and the drinkability, it isn't really good nor bad, just OK. You could definitely do worse, and I'm sure that some would absolutely love it. Like I said, it tastes just like Pinot Grigio.

Grade 5.0

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
PackerFanDan wrote:
That's not bad. Aren't they a lot stronger than the mainstream cheap beers though? A lot of calories?

Depends on what you are looking for. You can find 80 calories and 3% ABV and 1000 calories and 11% ABV. If the whole point were getting hammered, the Beast blows their doors off hands down. Though I do drink a lot, 5 days a week I drink a beer or two in the evening, which does not faze me in the least bit unless I've got a powerful one.

My favorite beer of all is about 4% ABV, about 120 calories, very expensive, yet worth every penny, I buy a bottle every time I see it in the store, and have thus far located 1 bar, and 4 liquor stores in the city of Atlanta that carry it.

and which might that be?

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
Waldo

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
Waldo wrote:
PackerFanDan wrote:
That's not bad. Aren't they a lot stronger than the mainstream cheap beers though? A lot of calories?

Depends on what you are looking for. You can find 80 calories and 3% ABV and 1000 calories and 11% ABV. If the whole point were getting hammered, the Beast blows their doors off hands down. Though I do drink a lot, 5 days a week I drink a beer or two in the evening, which does not faze me in the least bit unless I've got a powerful one.

My favorite beer of all is about 4% ABV, about 120 calories, very expensive, yet worth every penny, I buy a bottle every time I see it in the store, and have thus far located 1 bar, and 4 liquor stores in the city of Atlanta that carry it.

and which might that be?

Innis & Gunn

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Waldo

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soggywalnut14 wrote:
Waldo, have you had a lot of British ales? They are definitely the best made, with my favorites being Boddingtons and Old Speckled Hen. What are your favorite ales?

Over time you will see a trend toward Brittish ales here, especially Scottish style, I think the Scots are the best at making beer, with the Germans just behind them. Right now though I don't have any in my fridge.

I still have:
Pyrat Golden ale
Rogue Imperial Stout (I think, a dark Rogue something or other)
Duck Rabbit Porter
Tommyknocker Maple Brown Ale
A Cream Ale brewed in Canada (forget the brand, plain bottles)
This nasty blueberry beer that I shudder at the thought of drinking again.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
skywindO2

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wailua Wheat sounds interesting. I've yet to encounter a wheat beer I didn't like so I'll have to give that one a try.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つZIMMER༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Waldo

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skywindO2 wrote:
Wailua Wheat sounds interesting. I've yet to encounter a wheat beer I didn't like so I'll have to give that one a try.

Some people love wheat beers above all others, with good reason. There are some crazy good ones out there, even a bad one is quite good, and they are easy to drink, especially in the heat.

That whole "German Purity Law" BS that a bunch of modern brewers like to trumpet, that somehow makes their beer better than others because they follow it, is quite hilarious, since the whole point of the law was so that the king had a monopoly over the production and sales of wheat beer, which the people preferred, making the king very wealthy. That law made it illegal for anybody other than the king to brew and sell the good stuff.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
duxrule

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summit Winter 7

Dead Guy Ale 8

Dead guy is $1.75-$2/bottle depending on where you buy it, so not
cheap, but you only need about 2.
ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
If the whole point were getting hammered, the Beast blows their doors off hands down.

I don't drink to get drunk, but when your a college kid with limited funds that has friends over every Saturday, Beast is the way to go. I have my good beers(New Castle, Killians, Guinness, Becks, and Heinie are my favorites) for weekdays. But when it is the weekends and I drink more than the usual week day, I love me some Beast or ML's.

Sig brought to you by Justo
PackerFanDan

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beast as in Milwaukee's Best right? Ew, I hate that stuff. I like Keystone, Coors and Miller Lite over that any day if you're just getting drunk or playing pong.
7Broncos30

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skywindO2 wrote:

Wheat beer is my favorite after Amber ale. I'm a big New Belgium fan and drink Fat Tire and Sunshine Wheat mostly. I even painted my kitchen table to look like the logo on the bottle caps

http://www.laurabeamer.com/bottle_caps/caps/large/new_belgium.jpg

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackerFanDan wrote:
Beast as in Milwaukee's Best right? Ew, I hate that stuff. I like Keystone, Coors and Miller Lite over that any day if you're just getting drunk or playing pong.

Don't want to hi-jack Waldo's thread, but Beast and Keystone are the only beers I will drink from a can.

ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7Broncos30 wrote:
[I even painted my kitchen table to look like the logo on the bottle caps

http://www.laurabeamer.com/bottle_caps/caps/large/new_belgium.jpg

Once I get a camera, I have to take a picture of my pong table I made. It may not be "quality" furniture, but it is pretty cool. Painted it black, I saved caps for a while laid them on the top of the table and put 1/4" plexiglass over it. Used Lite/Bud light caps mostly everywhere except where the cups go.

BlaqOptic

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 2 Beers I drink regularly are Coors Lite(Favorite) and Keystone Light(Relative ease to obtain)... And Corona on $1 Coronita Night at the local bar. Thats it, and that's all I care for.

Trust in the 4Bs: Ben, Bell, Blount and Brown!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 2 of 100

Jump to: