Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

home remodeling and improvement thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: home remodeling and improvement thread Reply with quote

i thought i'd start up a thread for members to discuss and ask questions with each other about home improvement tasks.

how to do things, what products to buy, what's worth it and what isn't, that sort of stuff.

who's working on their house?!

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
theJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced the bathroom fan in my master. The previous owner had routed the exhaust 15' away to one of the general attic vents with flexible duct (uninsulated). Needless to say, it filled with water over the winter, turned to ice, and the bathroom stopped venting. It backed up to the fan and soaked the ceiling drywall.

So i had to move all the blown in insulation away, remove the ceiling, replace the fan (it was toast, completely corroded), and re-do the ceiling drywall. I bought one of those fancy ones with a heater (for the wife). I subbed out the electrical.

Just finished it two weeks ago. Took about 6-8 weeks because i only had time to work on it on the weekends.

One thing i learned: while i can patch drywall just fine, putting large sheets in is not my forte. The drywalling job is horrible. You can see the seam the whole way around.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bathroom fans are rated with two characteristics:

CFM - cubic feet per minute of air it moves. a small bathroom can get by with 80-100 cfm. a larger bathroom needs a stronger fan. let your bath fans run for far more than the ten minutes or so you are taking a shower. exhausting the humid air out of the bathroom is essential.

sones - a measure of how loud the fan motor is. 1.0 or 1.5 sones is quite quiet, you almost won't hear it run. cheap fans are 4-5 sones and very loud. and because they're built cheaply, they'll get even louder over time.

Webmaster wrote:
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm building a chain link fence on one side of my backyard (the other sides are already fenced by neighbors).

Going to do it with a handful of buddies in May

Because the game won't be close, so they have to make something competitive.

theJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
bathroom fans are rated with two characteristics:

CFM - cubic feet per minute of air it moves. a small bathroom can get by with 80-100 cfm. a larger bathroom needs a stronger fan. let your bath fans run for far more than the ten minutes or so you are taking a shower. exhausting the humid air out of the bathroom is essential.

sones - a measure of how loud the fan motor is. 1.0 or 1.5 sones is quite quiet, you almost won't hear it run. cheap fans are 4-5 sones and very loud. and because they're built cheaply, they'll get even louder over time.

Good points.

The fan i bought was 80 CFM, 1.2 Sones. The bathroom is fairly small, around 50 sqft, so the 80 CFM is plenty. The general recommendation is 1 cfm per sqft (assuming normal ceiling height).

I also had the electrician put every function (two lights, fan, heater) on separate switches so that we could run the fan for 15-20 minutes after leaving the bathroom without leaving the light on. The other option is to install a timer if you're forgetful.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking to buy a 50-70's era ranch/bungalow and renovate it completely. That's my summer project.

Will hire the work out with a reasonable budget. Excited to find the right home to get started.

Awesome idea for a thread. I'm always interested in hearing ideas and seeing people's work.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
I'm looking to buy a 50-70's era ranch/bungalow and renovate it completely. That's my summer project.

homes in the 50's were built very solidly, but because of their age could pretty much need a complete renovation to get them current and comfortable. check out the electrical circuitry before buying and make sure it's a home with full grounding. builders/electricians at that time also experimented with new techniques and materials, thinking they would become common, but the practices never caught on. like low voltage wiring with transformers up in the attic. avoid homes with those outdated systems as getting parts is difficult and expensive.

homes in the 70's were generally built pretty well, but homes in the 80's starting dropping off significantly in quality, as the older tradesmen were retiring and the newer guys were not being trained well enough and given too much responsibility without oversight.

Webmaster wrote:
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
I'm building a chain link fence on one side of my backyard (the other sides are already fenced by neighbors).

Make sure you ask the city/surveyor to find your property pins. My Buddy moved into a house put up a fence around his back yard and found out he went a foot too far into the property of his neighbors after they got survey done. They weren't very nice about it.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an electrician so I know all about the bathroom fan stuff.

In my home I've done the following projects:
Built a 12x10 shed.

Demo'd the closets and walls between two bedrooms and made it into one large master. This was my first big project like this. I knocked it out in 2 weeks of steady 8-12 hr days working on it around the winter '13.

Installed chain like fencing to separate my front and backyard, one side has a gate.

Changed out every switch and plug in my home to decora style to give it a more modern feel.

Installed electrical subpanel with a generator outlet outside for power outages.

I'm currently working on a large paver project. I dug out the dirt on Easter and now I have to lay the base and sand to set the pavers. Just waiting for this damn rain to go away.

I'm trying to do a project every year so I can save money by not trying to remodel everything all at once. I love home improvement stuff, it's my life. Thanks for making this thread.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
Justin Smith wrote:
"Keep choppin' wood"
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
I'm currently working on a large paver project. I dug out the dirt on Easter and now I have to lay the base and sand to set the pavers. Just waiting for this damn rain to go away.

ouch, the rain could be an issue for sure.

what are you using for base material? intend to tamp the pavers with a whacker plate or by hand? sweeping fine white sand over the final pavers after they've been tamped and then tamping again will help lock their edges in to place.

Quote:
I love home improvement stuff, it's my life. Thanks for making this thread.

you're welcome.

i think FF needs more threads where we help each other out and share ideas, and where there's no confrontation or arguments going on.

Webmaster wrote:
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:

Make sure you ask the city/surveyor to find your property pins. My Buddy moved into a house put up a fence around his back yard and found out he went a foot too far into the property of his neighbors after they got survey done. They weren't very nice about it.

Ya that's what my buddy was telling me. I have to call them next week. I'm planning on putting the fence in Mid May.

Luckily I am only putting one side up and my current neighbor doesn't care about the line, but I realize future owners may.

Because the game won't be close, so they have to make something competitive.

steadypimpin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

ouch, the rain could be an issue for sure.

what are you using for base material? intend to tamp the pavers with a whacker plate or by hand? sweeping fine white sand over the final pavers after they've been tamped and then tamping again will help lock their edges in to place.

Quote:
I love home improvement stuff, it's my life. Thanks for making this thread.

you're welcome.

i think FF needs more threads where we help each other out and share ideas, and where there's no confrontation or arguments going on.

I'm using a crushed gravel base, then using an inch of sand on top of that to set the pavers on. As far as the rain goes right now, my area that I dug out looks like a mini lake from all of yesterdays rain. Laughing Digging was such a job VD. I was hauling wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow of dirt into my backyard into a huge pile. Now I need to figure out what to do with the excess dirt. Evil or Very Mad

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
Justin Smith wrote:
"Keep choppin' wood"
packfan4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody have some experience in building a patio? Doesn't seem like too much of a project and it's something we've wanted to do for some time now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packfan4 wrote:
Anybody have some experience in building a patio? Doesn't seem like too much of a project and it's something we've wanted to do for some time now.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean by patio?

patio brick floor? open air trellis?

Webmaster wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: