Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Has Anybody Driven Across The Country?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patsfan25

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:48 am    Post subject: Has Anybody Driven Across The Country? Reply with quote

Driving across America has always been this very random thing that I've always wanted to do. I guess you can sort of say it's on my bucket list. I live in Cali and I have people in Minnesota, North Carolina or Massachusetts that I can drive to. Has anybody ever driven across at least half of America? Where did you go? What for? How long did it take you? What car did you use? How was the scenery?

Logan Ryan:"Patriots No. 1 CB in the making..."
Deadpulse Ink.
PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not East to West but I drove along the entire east coast of the US.

Mack on the sig
TVScout

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in your boat. 40 years ago we moved from Overland Park Kansas to the East Bay via Denver, Wyoming, Arizona, Nevada. For a little boy it was glorious. Laughing Back then dad payed cash for almost everything. I don't know if you can do that now. You probably need a credit card and a mailing address.

Several months ago I lost my job. Today I lost the house I was living in. Sad Fortunately I have saved a lot of money and I can travel slowly to somewhere Pray . Eventually I want to live in the Florida Keys. I don't know if I should buy and live in a house or a yacht. Unfortunately I don't have a credit card but I do have a friend who let me use his house for an address while I drift. Laughing

There are options. You/I can join the RV Army or go on the cheap. Former means full sized motorhomes and expensive campgrounds. Later is about frugality and googling cheap RV living.

Good luck to us both!
CheeseheadinMA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just recently road tripped from Wisconsin to Oregon for a new job. Took two weeks and my boyfriend, my pup, and I camped our way to San Fran via SLC (Antelope Island to see the bison herd and camp by the shores of the Great Salt Lake) and Lake Tahoe (camped for 2 nights on the southeast shore with some hiking above Emerald Bay).

From there we hit Santa Cruz for a day of fish tacos, dog beaches, and driving up rt 1 to San Francisco as the sun set over the Pacific. Stayed in San Francisco for 3 days crashing in my cousin's pad, seeing family and doing touristy things. Then dabbled in wine country for a half day (3 stops), then camping on the coast again.

From there drove north on rt 1 through the Avenue of the Giants, and into Six Rivers National Forest. Hiked the next morning on waking, then drove to Crater Lake (none of the Rim Drive was open yet and there was snow and temps in the high 30's). Camped by a tiny lake in Deschutes National Forest and woke up to gorgeous views after a night by the campfire. The next day we had brunch and an afternoon in Bend, then spent the night in Eugene (splurged for a motel) before the final destination of Florence, OR, where I'll be living for the next 3 months while I work as a physical therapist at the town hospital.

It was pretty meticulously planned by me, couldn't do a lot of National Park stuff due to having a dog but I researched hikes and places we could go with her. It turned out pretty damn good aside from terrible biting gnats on Antelope Island (though I did stand 10 ft from a bison, so it pretty much made up for it).

I've criss-crossed the country a few times (grew up in CT and went to grad school in Boston). I've traveled within the states the last three years for work (lived in various places in WI, downtown Chicago, Colorado, couple places in Oregon, Tennessee last summer), and my best advice is to just make sure you take enough time to do a cross country trip right. Look up neat things along the way (mix of things that are "must see" like national parks/etc, but also weird quirky things that cater to your interest). If you're into it, plan some days of light driving to spend in a town or even getting into nature for a few hours.

Also camping is fun but under 30 degrees gets real cold and if you have a dog who is a baby, they WILL want to get in the sleeping bag with you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've driven from North Dakota and Minnesota to Florida and back numerous times.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from a little north of Santa Barbara, and now live in Colorado. I usually make the drive to see my parents every spring break.

I've made the drive in a Kia Sedona, VW Jetta GLI, Scion xB, and a Mitsubishi Montero. Most fun was the Jetta. Most practical was the Kia minivan.

Scenery in Utah is really nice for part of it, but the drive through there on the 70 is mostly awful. Northern Arizona is pretty bad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
I'm from a little north of Santa Barbara, and now live in Colorado. I usually make the drive to see my parents every spring break.

I've made the drive in a Kia Sedona, VW Jetta GLI, Scion xB, and a Mitsubishi Montero. Most fun was the Jetta. Most practical was the Kia minivan.

Scenery in Utah is really nice for part of it, but the drive through there on the 70 is mostly awful. Northern Arizona is pretty bad.

Other than North Dakota central and south Illinois was pretty bad. Just flat and boring.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVScout wrote:
I am in your boat. 40 years ago we moved from Overland Park Kansas to the East Bay via Denver, Wyoming, Arizona, Nevada. For a little boy it was glorious. Laughing Back then dad payed cash for almost everything. I don't know if you can do that now. You probably need a credit card and a mailing address.

Several months ago I lost my job. Today I lost the house I was living in. Sad Fortunately I have saved a lot of money and I can travel slowly to somewhere Pray . Eventually I want to live in the Florida Keys. I don't know if I should buy and live in a house or a yacht. Unfortunately I don't have a credit card but I do have a friend who let me use his house for an address while I drift. Laughing

There are options. You/I can join the RV Army or go on the cheap. Former means full sized motorhomes and expensive campgrounds. Later is about frugality and googling cheap RV living.

Good luck to us both!

About the only thing you'd need it for is a hotel room, and a lot of hotels will take a debit card if you have one. I don't know what you'd need an address for.

As for the OP, that doesn't really sound appealing to me. But it's probably because i have a job and only 18 days vacation. So vacation to me means getting to my destination as quickly and economically as possible. If i were to go to the west coast for example, i would fly.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
buno67

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one time, for a 3.5 year span, I ran across american a couple times...it was fun. I helped a guy invent a popular bump sticker and t-shirt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas to PA... Florida to PA...

Retire from the Air Force this winter and trying to decide which way I want to go. I am in New Mexico moving back to PA. Might either go to Florida (use to be stationed in NW Florida) and then go up the east coast or go up thru Colorado and across the midwest.

Not sure yet.

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleveland to Denver

Nebraska was brutal

Because the game won't be close, so they have to make something competitive.

Blahman88

Location: Eagles Forum HOF + Gold Standard 2014, Bringer of the Cavalry
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, England is small
DarkComet00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anybody Driven Across The Country? Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
Driving across America has always been this very random thing that I've always wanted to do. I guess you can sort of say it's on my bucket list. I live in Cali and I have people in Minnesota, North Carolina or Massachusetts that I can drive to. Has anybody ever driven across at least half of America? Where did you go? What for? How long did it take you? What car did you use? How was the scenery?
I drove from Baltimore to Las Vegas when I relocated out there. It took me about 3 days in total. I had a Ford Explorer during that time. I-80 W
DarkComet00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
Cleveland to Denver

Nebraska was brutal
I agree with you on Nebraska.
Tongue-Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved from Colorado to North Carolina. The best scenery was the closer I got to the coast. West Virginia and Virginia were pretty awesome to drive through because of the trees. Colorado's scenery isn't impressive at all unless you drive through the mountains, Nebraska is the most boring state to drive through in the US.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: