Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How can I get a good price on a cell phone wo a contract?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregorSamsa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: How can I get a good price on a cell phone wo a contract? Reply with quote

I have Sprint and they have a good price for monthly service. If I sign a two year contract though that price goes up $35 a month. My current phone still works, to some extent. It restarts all the time and many apps do not work properly anymore. So I would like to get a new one. But full retail price is outrageous. Do you know if there is a time of year that they typically go on sale? Or if there is a place off the beaten path where I could find one at a reasonable price?

I don't know jack about cell phone technology. If I found an unlocked cell phone at a good price would that be easy to put Sprint service on? Do I need to buy something to do that? Is this something that a common person could do on their own?

Thanks for your help.

GregorSamsa wrote:
Yes, yes I will quote myself
theJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently went the same route you did (only on Verizon).

Check swappa(dot com). They have some good deals on used phones, and through their process guarantee a clean ESN and good working condition phone. If you receive one that doesn't work, you have recourse through Paypal.

Oh, and they had much lower prices on used phones than Ebay did.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OnePlus One

#FreeAgent
theJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
OnePlus One

That's not a sprint phone.

GregorSamsa wrote:
Do you know if there is a time of year that they typically go on sale? Or if there is a place off the beaten path where I could find one at a reasonable price?

I don't know jack about cell phone technology. If I found an unlocked cell phone at a good price would that be easy to put Sprint service on? Do I need to buy something to do that? Is this something that a common person could do on their own?
I guess i didn't answer these questions before.

No, there's no time where they go on sale, specifically. As new phones come out, the older ones reduce in price. You can sometimes catch deals around thanksgiving/christmas, but the ones i've seen are for contract phones.

You'll have to buy a Sprint phone, or an unlocked phone that works on Sprint technology. Swappa makes that easy (visit the website and it will become clear). Other websites make it more difficult, so you'll have to do some research on each phone you look at it.

As far as activating it after you purchase it, just take it into a Sprint store and they'll do it for you. Should take 10 minutes, at most.

Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
OnePlus One

That's not a sprint phone.

Oof. TLDR'd it. Laughing

#FreeAgent
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a higher end phone, you should be able to find some decent deals on refurbished or used models of previous generation models.

Or just get the Moto G. Pretty sure it's still the best value phone out there, should be available on Sprint too.

EFF YOUR FANTASY TEAM, I HOPE YOU LOSE

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
theJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
If you want a higher end phone, you should be able to find some decent deals on refurbished or used models of previous generation models.

Or just get the Moto G. Pretty sure it's still the best value phone out there, should be available on Sprint too.

Or Moto X (2013). Still a relatively high end phone, still receiving updates. Last i saw (a few months ago), you could get it new for $200.

Iggles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:

Yep. Bought a Moto G off contract, and very happy with it. It's not the best at anything, but it's a perfectly functional smartphone in all aspects, and it was like $150. I could drop that thing at any time and I'd barely care.
domepatrol91

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bluproducts.com/index.php/android-phones

These phones seem to get high praises on Amazon. Most of their phones are under $200 but the have a few options for under $100 as well.

I just read some reviews and watched some YouTube videos about quite a few of their phones and almost all of them got mostly good reviews. I'm going to be buying one in a few weeks when I drop my contract, I'll be doing some reading and watching to decide which one.

Edit: I also TLDR'd. This only works on GSM networks, so OP can disregard, sorry. I'll leave the info there for anyone else who might be looking for a phone.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People posting GSM phones reminds me to say that the OP should also investigate other carriers besides Sprint. I know Verizon has the same deal ($25 off per line if off contract). Check out the pricing on their website (though it's kind of funky how it's set up, you want to look at the Edge pricing even though you won't be on the Edge plan).

AT&T may have something similar.

Then you can open yourself up to other phone options.

domepatrol91

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's why I'm just changing carriers. A few of my coworkers have MetroPCS and love it. $30 a month, unlimited everything (Only 1 GB 4G speed, then down to 3G). If you're worried about speed, you can get unlimited talk, text and 4G for $60 a month

Pair that with a $200 BLU phone or the $300 Oneplus One and I'll be coming out ahead. I'll be putting my phone on my credit card, so it's not a lot different than the AT and T Next plan or Sprints "leasing" options, the difference is the phone service itself will be about 1/2 price.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly recommend looking at changing to Cricket as a carrier. The plans are well priced, the service I have had is excellent, and you can use all the awesome GSM phones.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd look for a used phone if I was you.
GregorSamsa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are awesome. Gave me plenty of good options.

I wanted to share this with you since ya'll shared your knowledge with me. Google is launching their own cell phone service that will use Sprint and T-Mobiles networks. You can read all about it here. Ironically, I was complaining about the price of phones and this service requires a $600 one.

GregorSamsa wrote:
Yes, yes I will quote myself

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: