Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Travel Questions - Viva La MEXICO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jags

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Travel Questions - Viva La MEXICO Reply with quote

Hi fellow posters. I was looking for a little insight or suggestions from anyone who has experience.

I am about to fly out of the US for the first time. I'll be going to Mexico. I was wondering if anyone has ever been before and if they have any suggestions. I've been told by everyone "don't drink the water" and I have taken that into account. If you have any suggestions, please let me know...

DarthDavis wrote:
I tell you I respect the Jags forum nothing but classy posters. They got a good group over there.
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get off the plane in Mexico don't get caught up in anybody's sales pitches about day trips, etc... It's annoying. Also, tip your bartender well if you're at an all inclusive, they make you good drinks that taste good, not the regular garbage drinks they give everyone else. Don't think guys at the airport are helping you to be nice, they want a tip. Don't be surprised if guys try to sell you drugs on the beach lol. I don't know what else off hand. Where you going?

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
Justin Smith wrote:
"Keep choppin' wood"
shawn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Oaxaca and Puebla last summer, and it was the best vacation I have been on to date. Which part are you going to though?

sig made by mike23md
Jags

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
When you get off the plane in Mexico don't get caught up in anybody's sales pitches about day trips, etc... It's annoying. Also, tip your bartender well if you're at an all inclusive, they make you good drinks that taste good, not the regular garbage drinks they give everyone else. Don't think guys at the airport are helping you to be nice, they want a tip. Don't be surprised if guys try to sell you drugs on the beach lol. I don't know what else off hand. Where you going?

Cancun. I'm a little weary of getting kidnapped. I've been researching tirelessly.

Also before I forget.... Thank you very much for the information. It is greatly appreciated and I'll take it all into account. Note to self... Get some change for tips..

DarthDavis wrote:
I tell you I respect the Jags forum nothing but classy posters. They got a good group over there.
Jags

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawn wrote:
I went to Oaxaca and Puebla last summer, and it was the best vacation I have been on to date. Which part are you going to though?

Cancun/ Quintana Roo. I'll be really staying in Cancún. Honestly I have never left the country or been on a plane before. I'm a little nervous, excited, and frightened all in one ball.

DarthDavis wrote:
incognito_man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jags wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

Cancun. I'm a little weary of getting kidnapped. I've been researching tirelessly.

Also before I forget.... Thank you very much for the information. It is greatly appreciated and I'll take it all into account. Note to self... Get some change for tips..

damn, how many times have you been kidnapped that you're weary of it?
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cancun is dope. Went there last June. In their airport once you leave the gates and out to your taxi or whatever they prey on you trying to sell you on thes day trips, tours etc. If you wanna do that kind of stuff you can find out about it at your resort they have people there. Also don't worry about kidnapping. It never crossed my mind. 90% of the time you'll be at your resort.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
Justin Smith wrote:
"Keep choppin' wood"
O'Doyle Rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you stay at your resort you'll be fine.
I see a guy that has a great attitude and spirit, but I don't see (and I have never seen) a top-10 all-time QB. I see a guy who has ridden that team, and is a product of Belichick and another person in the shadows :lol:
Calibucsfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Cancun 3 years ago. I also go to TJ and Ensenada every 2 months(have real estate down there....long story).

Cancun you have nothing to worry about. Its a tourist trap. Most workers speak English. All the restaurants are clean and serve germ/bacteria free(and delicious) food. There's a huge strip of hotels of all sorts of activities to do and you will see many tourists like yourself there.

And LOL at you worrying you will be kidnapped. To ease your nerves I will put it like this: You have higher chances of being kidnapped in the US than you do in Cancun. In Mexico, the local governments protect their tourist areas very well since it's a big money making industry for them.

The only "kidnapping" stories in that area is, the Cartels use the jungles as a route to transport their drugs.............but those jungles are far from Cancun. So unless you plan to rent a car and drive 4-5 hours southwest into the middle of nowhere than I would not worry about it.

Now if you were going to Michoacan or Tijuana or Sinaloa, then I would have a lot more different advice for you. I have been in a Mexican jail(for a few hours) and a Mexican hospital(from eating street food) a few times Laughing . And no I am not from down there or have any family. Just been going to that god forsaken place since I was 15.

What hotel are you staying at??(I know alot of them, been to Cancun 1 too many times).

For Cancun: Do not go to those Mayan pyramid tours unless you really want to see them. It's an all day thing that starts at 6-7am from the time the bus leaves the hotel. I went one time and it was fun....but it wastes the entire day because you do not get back to the hotel till 8-9pm. Plus its like a 2 hour drive to the pyramids.

Bring plenty of change for Taxi's and tips

If you rent a car, carry a $20 bill in your pocket. In case you run a light or do anything, when a cop pulls you over you can make him disappear with $20(happened to me once).

If you are not scared of heights, go para-sailing. Gives you a beautiful aerial view of Cancun.

My biggest tip: Do not get wasted beyond belief by the pool or beach and pass out.........you will wake up with the nastiest sunburn ever. Cancun sun is very hot and bright. I did this and my friends thought it would be funny to leave me there and take pics instead of waking me up and taking me to the room....A-holes...anyways
also last but not least: be prepared to be sweating alot. Cancun is extremely humid.

Last edited by Calibucsfan on Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeezla

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been to Cabo and Mazatlan. Mazatlan has the better party scene, but that was back in 2002. Crap I'm getting old. Definitely don't drink the tap water or you may not be able to stay off the toilet longer than 2 hours. Buy bottled water. And drink Pacifico. If you go to a wristband club that is promoting something like "40 dollars, drink all night"- the drinks are going to be super watered down, so get appropriately hammered in your hotel ahead of time. Playing moose with 5+ people using a 2-row ice cube tray is a great way to accomplish this since your hotel probably doesn't have ping pong tables to play beer pong, but probably does have an older freezer that uses ice cube trays filled with water to make ice cubes.

Kilty Sig '15 Wish List: FIRE CHIP KELLY! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FIRE CHIP KELLY!
DalCowboyzRule

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to Cancun over spring break with my gf last month and had a blast. Stayed at the GR Solaris.

Bring tips.
If you want to do an excursion with Aqua World I recommend the jungle tour.
No need to worry about getting kidnapped.

Any other questions feel free to send me a pm.

#wreckem
tom cody

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mexico's a popular spot to go for a lot of people in my area. I've seen pictures and it's nice. I think you stay at the resort and mind your own business and you'll be fine.
lards

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about spending 5 weeks in Mexico once I'm done in the US. Few mates have been and raved about the country. Might start in Cancun/Playa Del Carmen/Merida and then flying over to Mexico City and seeing some other cities like Guanajuato, Puerto Vallarta and San Miguel De Allende. Don't speak a word of Soanish so might that might be a struggle but whatevs I can't wait. Hostels are incredibly cheap which is a bonus. Cool

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm being very objective...

twitter: @lards90
iLikeDefense

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calibucsfan wrote:
I was in Cancun 3 years ago. I also go to TJ and Ensenada every 2 months(have real estate down there....long story).

Cancun you have nothing to worry about. Its a tourist trap. Most workers speak English. All the restaurants are clean and serve germ/bacteria free(and delicious) food. There's a huge strip of hotels of all sorts of activities to do and you will see many tourists like yourself there.

And LOL at you worrying you will be kidnapped. To ease your nerves I will put it like this: You have higher chances of being kidnapped in the US than you do in Cancun. In Mexico, the local governments protect their tourist areas very well since it's a big money making industry for them.

The only "kidnapping" stories in that area is, the Cartels use the jungles as a route to transport their drugs.............but those jungles are far from Cancun. So unless you plan to rent a car and drive 4-5 hours southwest into the middle of nowhere than I would not worry about it.

Now if you were going to Michoacan or Tijuana or Sinaloa, then I would have a lot more different advice for you. I have been in a Mexican jail(for a few hours) and a Mexican hospital(from eating street food) a few times Laughing . And no I am not from down there or have any family. Just been going to that god forsaken place since I was 15.

What hotel are you staying at??(I know alot of them, been to Cancun 1 too many times).

For Cancun: Do not go to those Mayan pyramid tours unless you really want to see them. It's an all day thing that starts at 6-7am from the time the bus leaves the hotel. I went one time and it was fun....but it wastes the entire day because you do not get back to the hotel till 8-9pm. Plus its like a 2 hour drive to the pyramids.

Bring plenty of change for Taxi's and tips

If you rent a car, carry a $20 bill in your pocket. In case you run a light or do anything, when a cop pulls you over you can make him disappear with $20(happened to me once).

If you are not scared of heights, go para-sailing. Gives you a beautiful aerial view of Cancun.

My biggest tip: Do not get wasted beyond belief by the pool or beach and pass out.........you will wake up with the nastiest sunburn ever. Cancun sun is very hot and bright. I did this and my friends thought it would be funny to leave me there and take pics instead of waking me up and taking me to the room....A-holes...anyways
also last but not least: be prepared to be sweating alot. Cancun is extremely humid.

This is pretty spot on.

Like he said, be prepared to tip and tip often (how they make most of their money). If you tip well, they go out of their way to hookups and deals (happens to me at least).

One suggestion is to avoid dairy since it may not be pasteurized and could lead to upset stomach.

Have fun!

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
Jags

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I went to Mexico and I had an amazing time.

Too bad I got Montezuma's revenge.... Crying or Very sad Cool

DarthDavis wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: