Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Wide Receivers on Roster Beyond 2015
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sp6488

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Wide Receivers on Roster Beyond 2015 Reply with quote

So, I was thinking through what our biggest needs were beyond this year, and WR is an interesting position for us moving forward. I certainly don't think that this is our biggest need for the future at this point, but I'm not sure it's a place we're completely set at for a long time either. We certainly have a lot of depth with respect to #3/4 types, but I thought it would be interesting to take a look at when guys are signed through and discuss the future of the position.

Breshad Perriman (20) - I actually didn't realize how young he is (being 20, rather than 22/23 is a big point in his favor). He will turn 21 on Sept. 10. Obviously we aren't completely sure what Perriman will be as he hasn't taken a snap in the NFL yet, but if he ends up being a slightly bigger, stronger Torrey Smith, then that will still be a + asset for this team for the next five years. I am assuming we pick up the 5th year option on first round picks and extension of RFA tenders for the sake of this exercise (also, signed through date will be the final season that the player is still under contract). Signed through - 2019

Steve Smith (36) - The ageless wonder. He appears to be completely bought into the Ravens, embracing the "we build bullies" mentality of the defense and mentoring our younger receivers. He slowed down a bit at the end of the 2014 season, but still managed to have 1,000+ yards and 6TD. I'm not sure he's mentioned anything about retirement. He's got a cap figure of $4.2M this season and next. Signed through - 2016

Marlon Brown (24) - 6'5" 216, but plays like a slot receiver. His numbers went down a bit last season (partially due to the arrival of Steve Smith) following a very promising rookie season. He will be a really nice piece if he could learn to play a little bigger. Signed through - 2016

Kamar Aiken (26) - We've seen him play like Anquan Boldin-lite (Not saying he's anywhere as good) on slant patterns and using his body to shield the ball. Joe seems to trust him. Solid enough option. His contract status is a little tricky, as he's played games in at least three seasons and been in the NFL for four, but it appears that he only has two accrued seasons. Signed through - 2016

Michael Campanaro (24) - Probably the most excited we've been for a player with 7 career regular season receptions. When he has been in games, he has shown shiftiness and an ability to catch the ball. Joe seems to like him as he was involved in the passing game in the playoffs (where it seemed that Joe was spreading the ball around very well). Has some ability in the return game, so hopefully he will be back in time for camp. Biggest thing for him will be if he can stay on the field as he seems a bit fragile. Could be a good slot option moving forward. Signed through - 2017

Darren Waller (22) - Complete unknown at this point, but 6'6" 240 with speed cannot be taught. Hopefully he can be more Marques Colston than Ramses Barden (still one of my favorite names ever). Signed through - 2018

DeAndre Carter (22) - Everyone's favorite receiver from OTA, including Steve Smith. He could definitely step up as a slot/return option if Campanaro is unable to get on the field to start the season. Signed through - 2018

A lot to like there, but it seems like a lot of #3/4 guys and not a ton of #1/2 (or even top-end #3) types of guys. I feel like we could use another stud opposite Perriman for the next 4 or 5 years, but noone really jumps out at me as immediately needing replacement. Further, there is noone who is a FA after this season. Smith could be cut prior to 2016 if he is not producing, but everyone else is cheap on top of being under control. What do you see as the future of the position?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how this year shakes up. It has the potential to either be our #1 need or not a need at all.

onejayhawk wrote:
The Ravens with Schaub win a tough division.

^Rammy
sp6488

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Depends on how this year shakes up. It has the potential to either be our #1 need or not a need at all.

Yep. It's a weird one because if everyone plays well, then there's almost not even a spot for another player. OR it could be a massive hole.

NFL Comparisons has taught me that we may as well have just drafted Conley, btw...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Yep. It's a weird one because if everyone plays well, then there's almost not even a spot for another player. OR it could be a massive hole.

NFL Comparisons has taught me that we may as well have just drafted Conley, btw...

Yeah. Could've waited a couple more rounds and taken a superior talent. Who knew?! #Chiefs

onejayhawk wrote:

^Rammy
gatek99

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Trent Steelman and Dan Brown stand a chance to make the roster or stick around the practice squad?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatek99 wrote:
Do Trent Steelman and Dan Brown stand a chance to make the roster or stick around the practice squad?

The fact that I don't know who Dan Brown is, probably not him Laughing Steelman is interesting but he's going to have to prove to be a ST ace if he wants to stick around and I just doubt that happens.

Our WR corps, while not high talent, is incredibly deep. Unless we get a murders row of injuries, our WRs will come from this group:

Steve Smith Sr (Lock)
Kamar Aiken (Lock)
Breshad Perriman (Lock)
Marlon Brown (near Lock)
Michael Campanaro (near Lock)
Jeremy Butler
Darren Waller
DeAndre Carter (doubtful)

Steelman, Nelson, and Brown are camp fodder. Personally, I think Carter and Butler are the two to go.

reckless123 wrote:

Logic really isnt my strong suit.
sp6488

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
gatek99 wrote:

The fact that I don't know who Dan Brown is, probably not him Laughing Steelman is interesting but he's going to have to prove to be a ST ace if he wants to stick around and I just doubt that happens.

Our WR corps, while not high talent, is incredibly deep. Unless we get a murders row of injuries, our WRs will come from this group:

Steve Smith Sr (Lock)
Kamar Aiken (Lock)
Breshad Perriman (Lock)
Marlon Brown (near Lock)
Jeremy Butler
Darren Waller

Steelman, Nelson, and Brown are camp fodder. Personally, I think Carter and Butler are the two to go.

I think Waller may be in the "near lock" category, or at least the "inside track for the #6 spot" category that I just made up.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
gatek99 wrote:

Steve Smith Sr (Lock)
Kamar Aiken (Lock)
Breshad Perriman (Lock)
Marlon Brown (near Lock)
Jeremy Butler
Darren Waller

I think Waller may be in the "near lock" category, or at least the "inside track for the #6 spot" category that I just made up.

Eh, I'm not so sure about that. Yeah, he was a draft pick but he also doesn't offer STs abilities (at least I wouldn't think someone his size does) and likely wouldn't see any real time.

I think he's the perfect candidate for that last week of the pre-season knee/ankle injury personally.

reckless123 wrote:

Logic really isnt my strong suit.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Steve smith just announced that this will be his final season.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah we can scratch Sr. from that list. So:

Perriman
lol
who?
practice squad guy
Bryn Renner

WR depth chart 2016

onejayhawk wrote:

^Rammy
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Yeah we can scratch Sr. from that list. So:

Perriman
lol
who?
practice squad guy
Bryn Renner

WR depth chart 2016

???

Everyone on the list above is signed through the 2016 season at least. So, next year we will still have Aiken, Brown, Camp, Waller, Carter, etc. if we keep them this year and should we want them. I think this may make WR a higher priority next offseason now, though, albeit only slightly higher.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm content with guys like Aiken, Brown, Campanaro, etc. filling out the depth chart. The Ravens are probably going to need another bona fide starter to pair with Perriman though. But it's not like we didn't know this was coming. I think the team will sign or trade for another veteran to replace Smith next offseason as opposed to using a high draft pick on one.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what I've seen so far from Aiken moreso than anyone else. Brown is fading into the depth chart after an impressive 2013 season. Perriman needs to get healthy so he can actually take reps.

Other than that, we need to see what we've got from the other guys and we need playmakers.

onejayhawk wrote:

^Rammy
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown looked pretty solid last season too, but in a reduced role (which wasn't a surprise given the addition of Smith). I think he is what he is though. A solid possession receiver that has good hands but isn't going to make big plays. And that's fine for a 3rd/4th type of guy on the depth chart.

Aiken and Campanaro haven't shown as much as Brown (or have had the opportunity to do so), but I think they're in the same mold for overall upside. The depth players that a team needs but doesn't/can't rely on if that makes any sense. Hopefully Perriman pans out at least somewhat so one starting slot is filled.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Brown looked pretty solid last season too, but in a reduced role (which wasn't a surprise given the addition of Smith). I think he is what he is though. A solid possession receiver that has good hands but isn't going to make big plays. And that's fine for a 3rd/4th type of guy on the depth chart.

Aiken and Campanaro haven't shown as much as Brown (or have had the opportunity to do so), but I think they're in the same mold for overall upside. The depth players that a team needs but doesn't/can't rely on if that makes any sense. Hopefully Perriman pans out at least somewhat so one starting slot is filled.

I think that Aiken has the most potential/likelihood of reaching that potential of any of those guys. Obviously physical tools-wise Brown has the most potential of those three, but he plays small and I don't think he will ever change in that respect. Particularly at the end of the season, I really liked what we saw from Aiken, almost a Anquan Boldin-lite (very lite). While he might not be a guy you want "starting," I could see him being among the main guys rotated through next season, particularly running slants and other routes out of the slot. He seems to be able to use his body to make space and get two hands on the ball pretty well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: