Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens Mock Offseason (9/15/14)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Ravens Mock Offseason (9/15/14) Reply with quote

Being so long since our drubbing of the Steelers (or so it feels), I was bored... Mock offseason...

Free Agent Signings:
Darren McFadden - 2 year/$7M. Brought in on a short prove it deal. Has the pass-catching and playmaking ability to be an asset for our offense. He will team with BP splitting the load fairly evenly in 2015. Will be interesting to see how he can perform in the Kubiak offense.

Extensions/Resignings:
Haloti Ngata - 5 year/$30M ($28M guaranteed). Signs a deal similar to Suggs to lower his cap hit and keep him as a Raven for the rest of his career.

Torrey Smith - 5 year/$45M ($22.5M guaranteed). Ravens initially franchise Smith, but lock him up long term.

Darien Stewart - 1 year/vet minimum

(Some vet OT/G that would add depth along jthe line, particularly if we part ways with Jah Reid)

Cuts:
Chris Canty - The move saves ~$2.7M.

Notable Departures:
Will Hill - After posting a solid/strong season at FS following the return from his suspension, Hill signs a deal for ~5M AAV for 4 years or so. Ravens let him move on for the comp pick as Brooks should be the 2015 starting FS.

Justin Forsett - Performs admirably following the release of Rice in 2014. Ravens decide to bring more talent to the position group for the 2015 season.

Tyrod Taylor - Ravens allow him to depart as a FA.

Draft Picks:
1. Vic Beasley, 3-4 OLB, Clemson - Provides an athletic pass rusher who can supplement the rush and provide some new blood for the future of the position for the Ravens.

2. Mike Davis, RB, South Carolina - Explosive back with great size/speed. He also has some pass-catching ability. He will be brought into the fold slowly, similar to Rice in his rookie year.

3. Rashad Greene, WR, Florida State - Not an eye-popping athlete/prospect, but he catches a lot of balls for a great FSU offense. Will fit in well behind Smith Sr. for a year.

4. Quandre Diggs, CB, Texas - Quentin Jammer's little brother. PRetty good size/speed and will fit in nicely as the #4 CB in this defense. Not an elite CB prospect by any stretch, but it we have to choose between Webb and Smith, that #1 choice teamed with Asa Jackson and Diggs could be formidable enough for 2016.

4 (Comp/Jones). Arik Armstead, 3-4 DE, Oregon - Huge 6-8 290 3-4 DE. A bit raw, but would be able to come in and work into the rotation slowly.

6 (DAL/McLain). Nick Marshall, QB, Auburn - Dual threat QB who would replace Tyrod Taylor as the Ravens backup QB.

6 (Comp/Graham). Dean Marlowe, FS, James Madison - I came away very impressed with him when I watched the UMD/JMU game. He really stood out on an overmatched defense. Has good size and a nose for the ball. He would fit in well as a swing safety.

7 (MIA/McKinnie). Tim Scott, CB/S, North Carolina

7. CJ Uzomah, TE, Auburn

7 (Comp/Ihedigbo). Jaxon Shipley, WR, Texas

2015 Depth Chart:
Starter
Rookie

QB - Joe Flacco, Nick Marshall
RB - Bernard Pierce, Darren McFadden, Lorenzo Taliaferro, Mike Davis
FB - Kyle Juszczyk
WR - Torrey Smith, Steve Smith Sr., Jacoby Jones, Marlon Brown, Rashad Greene, Michael Campanero
TE - Dennis Pitta, Crockett Gilmore, CJ Uzomah
OT - Eugene Monroe, Ricky Wagner, James Hurst, Jah Reid
OG - Kelechi Osemele, Marshall Yanda, John Urschel
OC - Jeremy Zuttah, Gino Gradkowski
(25)
DE/OLB - Terrell Suggs, Elvis Dumervil, Vic Beasley, Courtney Upshaw, Pernell McPhee
DT/DE - Haloti Ngata, Brandon Williams, Timmy Jernigan, Deangelo Tyson, Brent Urban, Kapron Lewis-Moore, Arik Armstead
ILB - Daryl Smith, CJ Mosely, Arthur Brown
CB - Jimmy Smith, Lardarius Webb, Asa Jackson, Quandre Diggs, Chykie Brown, Tim Scott
S - Matt Elam, Terrence Brooks, Darien Stewart, Dean Marlowe
(25)
K - Justin Tucker
P - Sam Koch
Long Snapper
53 Total

(Jaxon Shipley to PS)
(McPhee is a FA after this season and departs, replace him with John Simon)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good start. Way too early for me to be looking that closely at 2015 prospects though, but from what I know of Beasley I can't say I'm a huge fan of that guy. I'd rather we target a skill position player there. But it's just so early who knows what our actual needs will look like come the end of the season.

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signing McFadden and drafting Davis in the second round is overkill by a large margin. No need for the team to invest in running backs like then when they'll still have fairly recent 3rd and 4th round picks at that position already on the roster (and one of them may be good enough to take the majority of the carries and be productive).

I'm not a big fan of bringing Stewart back given what we've seen so far even if it's for the veteran's minimum. No need for him at all. A veteran offensive lineman if Reid leaves would probably be a waste of space too. Reid hasn't been active in either game yet and the team will still have Hurst, Urschel, and Gradkowski as reserves. I could see Canty being cut if the team is confident enough in Lewis-Moore and Urban coming back healthy. Like I said in the other thread Hill will be a restricted free agent so if he plays well this season I think they'll slap a 1st or 2nd round tender on him.

Beasley would be an alright first round pick. I like athletic pass-rushers but I'm not sure about him yet. The other picks, except for Davis, make sense. Marshall probably wouldn't be anywhere close to my top choice for a late-round quarterback though. He's probably a worse thrower than Taylor.
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently hill will be rfa, so if actually tender him rather than bring back Stewart.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it would be overkill on the backs. Pierce can't stay healthy and I don't think we can commit to him long term. Kubiak has shown that his system can easily support two "starting" backs. We barely played a second round pick in 2008 other than in a supporting role, and that turned out fine.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two? Sure. Four? Yeah... No. Taliaferro is Pierce's injury insurance. He's probably not a guy you rely on long term because of his health but that's fine if they have someone like Lorenzo who has the build to take on the workload in his potential absence. A complimentary piece similar to Forsett wouldn't be a bad investment if he isn't re-signed but not at the cost a high pick or any significant portion of Baltimore's limited cap space.

If there's any conclusions you can draw from the season thus far it's that Kubiak's scheme is as close to a successful plug-and-play system as you can get. Outside of Pierce's handful of carries in the first game the running game has looked as good as it's been in years. No need to invest too many more valuable resources on that position with the results they're getting.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Two? Sure. Four? Yeah... No. Taliaferro is Pierce's injury insurance. He's probably not a guy you rely on long term because of his health but that's fine if they have someone like Lorenzo who has the build to take on the workload in his potential absence. A complimentary piece similar to Forsett wouldn't be a bad investment if he isn't re-signed but not at the cost a high pick or any significant portion of Baltimore's limited cap space.

If there's any conclusions you can draw from the season thus far it's that Kubiak's scheme is as close to a successful plug-and-play system as you can get. Outside of Pierce's handful of carries in the first game the running game has looked as good as it's been in years. No need to invest too many more valuable resources on that position with the results they're getting.

You make some very valid points, but it wouldn't be a move just about 2015. I think we let pierce walk after next season and I think LT is a one contract use and abuse type of back for us. I think it would behoove the ravens to find another dual threat back who is expected to see his second contract.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

You make some very valid points, but it wouldn't be a move just about 2015. I think we let pierce walk after next season and I think LT is a one contract use and abuse type of back for us. I think it would behoove the ravens to find another dual threat back who is expected to see his second contract.

I guess this is just the way the NFL has gone, over the past few years. There are not many franchise, feature RBs left in the league, and not likely to be that many more, in the near future.

Sure, you've got Adrian Peterson and Jamaal Charles and LeSean McCoy, but those guys are anomalies, and most teams now seem to focus on two or even three different RBs carrying the load.

I think Taliaferro, based on what he's shown so far, can be a very good player, in a two-back system. For me, he becomes that bigger, power runner, and the Ravens look for a more elusive, pass-catching RB in the draft over the next year or two.

Pierce has ability, but he's in his third season now, and the most consistent thing about him has been his inability to stay healthy. I can't see him being in Baltimore past his rookie deal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: