Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steve Spagnuolo hired as new Giants DC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcfields

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Steve Spagnuolo hired as new Giants DC Reply with quote

I don't think Spagnuolo got enough credit for what HE did for the defense in this past year. He held a broken secondary together with spit and duct tape (Trust me... it wasn't all Dean Pees' doing). Great coach. He'll be missed.

So, who will be the next Ravens secondary coach. The top 3 candidates as of this moment (IMO) are former San Francisco secondary coach Ed Donatell, 2014 Atlanta Falcons secondary coach Tim Lewis (once Atlanta hires a HC, Lewis is likely to be let go. But maybe not) and my long shot, former Raiders head coach Dennis Allen.

Anybody else come to mind?
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Donatello is a name I've seen thrown around. But I do believe the hire is going to come externally and not internally (at least I hope).

amazingandre in regards to the 2014 MVP race wrote:
Justin James Watt...deserves the MVP award over Aaron Rodgers....

#Booyah
dcfields

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three other possibilities with ties to the Ravens come to mind.

Mark Carrier. Ravens secondary coach from 2006 - 2009. Left with Rex (Jets). Currently splitting time with Vance Joseph in Cincinnati.

Darren Perry. Played 1 year for the Ravens. He was washed up but the time he got here. Pretty good as a Steeler. Coaching since '02. Currently splitting duties in Green Bay.

Here are two others that could be considerations.

Gill Byrd. Coaching CBs in Tampa Bay (which means he's coaching Lovie's Cover 2 scheme). Splitting duties with another coach. BTW, Gill Byrd was a great safety in his day (I'm showing my age again) for the Chargers. Jairus Byrd's father.

This one is WAY out in left field. Just a thought. Brady Hoke. Hoke was a good defensive coordinator at the college level and his background is mainly coaching defensive line. Hoke worked under Jack Harbaugh at Western Kentucky from '84 - '86 with John (Harbs). I think with his general coaching experience, would you be disappointed if Brady Hoke were named the Ravens secondary coach? I wouldn't. I think he's MORE THAN qualified for the job.

Anyway, just throwing ideas around.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be disappointed with Hoke because I think the Ravens absolutely need to get somebody in who's a bona fide secondary coach. As far as I can tell Hoke has no experience with that whatsoever. Baltimore needs somebody they can rely on badly, and if they're investing in a cornerback with a quality draft pick it makes all the more sense to get a guy who can develop him.

I'm going to guess they bring Donatell in unless he gets a better position elsewhere.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, and I think I said this last year, I think our coaching staff needs to get younger OR get more modern coaches in here.

#Booyah
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh. The offensive staff was pretty much totally replaced last year and the defensive positional coaches still with the team are pretty solid. I wouldn't want to mess with the front seven much seeing how well the line and linebacker units have played and developed.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Eh. The offensive staff was pretty much totally replaced last year and the defensive positional coaches still with the team are pretty solid. I wouldn't want to mess with the front seven much seeing how well the line and linebacker units have played and developed.

Not saying we should replace anyone, but the new guys we bring in should be younger/more modern coaches. Not guys who thrive on teaching outdated concepts, techniques and schemes.

#Booyah
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their main priority, in finding a new Secondary coach, should be that it's a guy who they know can develop young players. Outside of Webb, that's a young secondary that's desperately in need of good coaching.

Fix Elam, get the best out of Jackson, Melvin and Brooks, keep Jimmy climbing up that ladder. Those are their priorities.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: