Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jrry32 First Mock - Why? Why not? We're 1-4...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Jrry32 First Mock - Why? Why not? We're 1-4... Reply with quote

Never too early to be depressed by the Rams terrible start and do a mock off-season out of boredom. I'm not going to speculate about the coaches. I'll just leave that as is. My cap numbers are rounded and are based on a projection of $135 million for the salary cap. We're currently slated to pick at #6.
Released Players
Sam Bradford - $13 million in cap savings
Jake Long - $8 million in cap savings
Scott Wells - $3.8 million in cap savings
Eugene Sims - $1.9 million in cap savings
Isaiah Pead - $900,000 in cap savings
Total Cap Savings: $27.6 million
Total Cap Room: $32.1 million
(I was able to keep Kendall Langford and his $6 million in savings on the roster but if necessary, we could cut him and create even more room)

Re-signed Players
Joe Barksdale - 5 years $30 million($5 million first year)
Kenny Britt - 1 year $2 million
Lance Kendricks - 2 years $6 million($3 million first year)
Alex Carrington - 1 year $1.5 million
Cory Harkey - ERFA($645,000)
Chase Reynolds - ERFA($570,000)
Austin Davis - RFA($2.2 million - 2nd round tender)
Tim Barnes - RFA($1.4 million - Original round)
Johnny Hekker - RFA($1.4 million - Original Round)
Rodney McLeod - RFA($1.4 million - Original Round)
Mike Person - 1 year $745,000
Total Cap Spent: $19.8 million
Total Cap Room: $12.3 million

NFL Free Agency

Orlando Franklin LG/RT Denver Broncos
4 years $18 million
Analysis: Denver has Chris Harris, DeMaryius Thomas, Julius Thomas, and Terrance Knighton to re-sign. I don't see them being able to keep Orlando Franklin. With us letting Jake Long go, Greg Robinson shifts to LT. The Rams address the LG position before the draft with a solid veteran presence. I don't want to pay for Iupati. It came down to Franklin vs. Clint Boling for me. Both are solid options but Franklin has the size the Rams like on the OL at 6'7" 320+. Franklin also started at RT for Denver so in a pinch if we suffer an injury at OT, Franklin can slide out to RT. I don't want to make a big, expensive splash. I think the Rams aren't far off. This move helps address our problematic OL.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #6 - Jameis Winston QB Florida State

Analysis: I'm not sure what's up with Winston this year but he's gotta get it together or else I'll rethink this pick. He's made some really bad reads and decisions. He has an elongated motion that'll need work but if you can stop him from dropping the ball down as he begins his motion, he'll end up having a great motion. Just needs work. However, at the same time, it's hard not to notice Winston's physical talent, Winston's ability to escape pressure, Winston's ability to deliver the ball accurately while under pressure, Winston's anticipation, and Winston's ball placement when he's on. He's got all the skills and looked completely dominant in 2013.

Round 2 Pick #6 - Dorial Green-Beckham WR Missouri

Analysis: I know...we're drafting another knucklehead. Still, I think of this like the Janoris Jenkins pick. There's no way on earth a guy with DGB's talent should be here except for his stupidity and immaturity. I'll take the risk and see if I can get him to turn things around. With Britt, Bailey, Quick, and Tavon in place...DGB can take time to develop and will not need to be rushed onto the field. If the Rams can develop this kid, he has the potential to be whatever he wants to be.

Round 3 Pick #6 - Max Tuerk C Southern California

Analysis: With Scott Wells gone, the Rams need a Center. If Barrett Jones steps up this year, I could forego this pick but until this happens, I like Tuerk a lot as an option. He still needs to put weight on at 6'6" 285 but he's a versatile player, with a long frame, impressive IQ, and plays with good technique for such a young player. He needs to add weight to help with his functional strength and power at the point but Tuerk has gobs of potential at Center.

I'll stop here since I haven't had the time to really evaluate enough players later on in the draft yet.

Depth Chart
QB: Jameis Winston
HB: Tre Mason
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Brian Quick
ZWR: Kenny Britt
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Orlando Franklin
C: Max Tuerk
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: Joe Barksdale

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Aaron Donald
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins (could flip Janoris and EJ)
SLCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

That's all I've got. Laughing

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm into it except a few things:

-Why re-sign Kendricks? Replacing him with a veteran minimum guy would be a wash in terms of talent

-I'm not exactly on board with drafting Winston. I am trying to not blind myself into thinking we must take a QB early. As of now, I don't see a must have guy at that position in the NCAA

-I think we should investigate cutting JL-55. His salary is low next year (roughly 3.5 M), but his play has declined in a major way. Also, Langford needs to be cut. He'd save us an extra 6 mil.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
titan52490

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DGB and Winston would be insane, in a good and bad way. Both are elite talent, both come with serious baggage.

I think a lot of the stuff with Winston is way overblown, but DGB seems to have some legitimate problems. With that being said he is the most talented receiver I have ever seen. But, I'm not sure if the guy is ever gonna have the head for the game, as much as that pains me to say.

Green-Beckham would have put up stupid numbers this season with Mauk, Danario numbers. If he would have been there the same time Blaine was, he might have been able to put up better numbers than that.

Winston, however, looks like the real deal.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
-Why re-sign Kendricks? Replacing him with a veteran minimum guy would be a wash in terms of talent

Kendricks is our best blocker (non-OL... well... maybe not Laughing) and is still a decent recieving threat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titan52490 wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:

Kendricks is our best blocker (non-OL... well... maybe not Laughing) and is still a decent recieving threat.

Harkey is as good a blocker as Kendricks and not prone to a couple penalties a game and we haven't seen him get into the passing game much but he can't be Handbricks 2.0.
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
I'm into it except a few things:

I disagree. His hands have been really good this year. He's a good run blocker. He's versatile. He's a valuable role player for our team. It's not going to be easy to replace him.

Quote:
-I think we should investigate cutting JL-55. His salary is low next year (roughly 3.5 M), but his play has declined in a major way. Also, Langford needs to be cut. He'd save us an extra 6 mil.

Don't agree. No reason to create more holes to fill with cap room we don't need. There aren't any DTs in free agency that I like for the role Langford plays. Which means we have to spend a draft pick on one. That's another hole to try and fill in the draft. We don't need that cap room this year. Might as well hold onto Langford.

If we do need the cap room, we cut him.

No reason to cut Laurinaitis at this point. I'm fine with replacing him but I just don't see anyone in FA to replace him with that's young and reliable nor do I see a truly elite LB prospect in this class. There are some guys outside the first round that would be worth considering for the future but with what he costs this year, no reason to cut Laurinaitis.

Again, it creates another hole to fill.

jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NVRamsFan wrote:
titan52490 wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:

Harkey is as good a blocker as Kendricks and not prone to a couple penalties a game and we haven't seen him get into the passing game much but he can't be Handbricks 2.0.

Harkey is the FB. So if we let Kendricks go, that means either gotta add a FB or replace Kendricks at TE. I see no reason why we should do that. Kendricks has played well in his role this year.

l3lind golfer

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes baby yes. DGB is a great talent at WR. He, Quick and Austin are young and would be our future. Quick is a much better #2, while Austin can live in the slot. DGB would be our #1 WR in the future. Obviously love the Winston pick and the C from USC is great as well.

I'd rather have Franklin over Iupati as well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont like cutting Sims, Id rather cut Langford to be honest if were gunna cut back on DL somewhere.

The draft presents tons of upside and I can see our FO taking those chances. My first choice is Mariota as I have stated before, but Winston is more NFL ready and if he can clean his act up (and his idiotic throws) he could be a the answer. He has the talent there is no question about that.

I could also see a 2nd or 3rd rounder being used on a LB like Perryman from Miami who could play SLB or MLB if JL goes down.

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
I dont like cutting Sims, Id rather cut Langford to be honest if were gunna cut back on DL somewhere.

The draft presents tons of upside and I can see our FO taking those chances. My first choice is Mariota as I have stated before, but Winston is more NFL ready and if he can clean his act up (and his idiotic throws) he could be a the answer. He has the talent there is no question about that.

I could also see a 2nd or 3rd rounder being used on a LB like Perryman from Miami who could play SLB or MLB if JL goes down.

We have Westbrooks and Hayes behind Quinn and Long. We can add a 5th DE in UDFA or the late rounds of the draft. Sims saves us nearly $2 million. Who do we have behind Donald and Brockers? Carrington? That's about it. And Carrington hasn't done much of anything this year.

As I said before, we don't need that Langford money. Cutting players and creating holes to save money we don't really need doesn't jive well with me.

tim199009

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Jrry32 First Mock - Why? Why not? We're 1-4... Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:

I didnt realize that's how you spell Rodney Mcleod.
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Jrry32 First Mock - Why? Why not? We're 1-4... Reply with quote

tim199009 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

The sooner the Rams move to McLeod to slot CB and Joyner to FS, the better.

tim199009

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Jrry32 First Mock - Why? Why not? We're 1-4... Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
tim199009 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

The sooner the Rams move to McLeod to slot CB and Joyner to FS, the better.

I wouldnt be too sure about that yet.
ramssuperbowl99

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Don't agree. No reason to create more holes to fill with cap room we don't need. There aren't any DTs in free agency that I like for the role Langford plays. Which means we have to spend a draft pick on one. That's another hole to try and fill in the draft. We don't need that cap room this year. Might as well hold onto Langford.
Good mock overall, but I'm not sure why we wouldn't be better off cutting Langford, using the FA money to sign an established C, and drafting a DT at the top of the 3rd.

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
l3lind golfer

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^No. How many DTs are we going to draft? Jrry is right.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: