Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Coaching
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alanram

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Coaching Reply with quote

Can anyone explain that? Please tell me?
tim199009

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no explanation really. If it works shotty is a genius, if it doesnt then he's an idiot. Unfortunately the latter happens more often for the rams.
nodefense

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was all on Hill and he knew it. Throw it away if nobody is open ! Rolling Eyes
SAK11

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nodefense wrote:
That was all on Hill and he knew it. Throw it away if nobody is open ! Rolling Eyes

I had no problem with the play call either, they had just successfully thrown a TD from around that same spot on the field a couple minutes earlier; Hill just needs to see the defense better there. Had he done that, he would have hopefully looked left after seeing that Britt was covered and then thrown to Cunningham who has just got away from his man and would of had an easy score. The O-line gave him a nice pocket, he had the time.
El ramster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're decimated by injuries!
Our Oline is patch work at best.
We have a back QB!

Give credit where credit is due.
We had a chance to win, and we've been
In a lot of our games this year. Were not there
yet, but we're surely getting better..

On the road! With some crippling calls gone
against us, and a blocked FG..

Look at the positives a little more.. Shotty has
yet to find ways to get Tavon the ball, but he's making
it work..

And we had success the pervious play.. It was
More of the coverage that confused Hill and a great play
by the defender.. We were in position to win the game!!!

mozwanted wrote:
I'm beginning to like the rg3 trade
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm calling plays, I'd would have definitely run the ball there. You run the ball and the worst that happens is you don't get the TD, but, you run some clock and are still in position for a FG to tie the game. Hill had already made a terrible throw in this game and that was still fresh in my mind on this play.

Oh to have a good QB....
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAK11 wrote:
nodefense wrote:

I had no problem with the play call either, they had just successfully thrown a TD from around that same spot on the field a couple minutes earlier; Hill just needs to see the defense better there. Had he done that, he would have hopefully looked left after seeing that Britt was covered and then thrown to Cunningham who has just got away from his man and would of had an easy score. The O-line gave him a nice pocket, he had the time.

I have a huge problem with the play-call.

Run the ball.

If you're going to pass it, isolate Stedman Bailey one on one with Shareece Wright and throw a fade.(the odds of that getting picked off are low) Do not throw to a crossing route over the middle. The Rams got fancy when it was unnecessary. And most of it all, it was stupid to motion Cunningham out of the back-field. At least make them question if we'll run the ball.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Boboso20

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
SAK11 wrote:
nodefense wrote:

Run the ball.

If you're going to pass it, isolate Stedman Bailey one on one with Shareece Wright and throw a fade.(the odds of that getting picked off are low) Do not throw to a crossing route over the middle. The Rams got fancy when it was unnecessary. And most of it all, it was stupid to motion Cunningham out of the back-field. At least make them question if we'll run the ball.

I was saying this the whole time. I don't get why mason isn't in on goaline situations. He runs harder than Benny and I feel like you need that in short yardage situations. But yes if we do pass the ball throw it up to britt who is taller than any DB they have. If it ain't open throw it out of bounds
ka210927

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't believe they motioned out the RB, that was a horrible call, that takes out the threat of a run so their d could play the pass.... embarrassing call, he should be fired.
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
SAK11 wrote:
nodefense wrote:

Run the ball.

It was a terrible call, and of course is made even worse by the outcome. That one hurt man.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that the call wasnt 3 straight runs with Mason is just awful. We got Robinson & Saffold on the left side as massive maulers, if we cant get 5 yarss in 3 plays, you take the FG and trust your defense in OT.

At most its a Jumbo set play fake with Harkey and Kendricks leaking into the endzone on a rollout

Just terrible Play calling, thats all that was.
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
The fact that the call wasnt 3 straight runs with Mason is just awful. We got Robinson & Saffold on the left side as massive maulers, if we cant get 5 yarss in 3 plays, you take the FG and trust your defense in OT.

At most its a Jumbo set play fake with Harkey and Kendricks leaking into the endzone on a rollout

More than terrible play-calling. It was terrible QBing on top of terrible play-calling. We've run similar plays in the past with Bradford.

It's one of Schotty's favorite plays. And Hill just inexplicably blew the play.

You motion Cunningham out, run Britt(on this specific play) on the drag route to force the defenders over the middle of the field to the goal-line and then you try to sneak Givens(used to be Pettis) to the back of the end-zone.

It works if the safety follows Cunningham to give help because the CB often is counting on him for inside leverage. That's the primary read.

If the safety follows Givens, like Weddle did on this play, you move to the secondary read which is Cunningham 1 on 1 vs. a LB on a pivot route. This was the read that Hill should have made. Cunningham worked himself back inside and was open right after Hill let the ball go.

For some inexplicable reason, Hill locked onto the decoy(Britt) and then forced the ball in.

I hate the play-call in that situation for many reasons but if you're going to run it, run it correctly. I don't know what Hill was thinking.

Here's a similar play we ran a couple years ago:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000096519/Bradford-TD-pass-to-Gibson

Here, they completely blew the coverage by focusing in on the HB. But that's what you want. However, if you don't get that, the HB becomes your primary option because he has the best match-up...isolated outside on a LB.

Last edited by jrry32 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
StLunatic88 wrote:

More than terrible play-calling. It was terrible QBing on top of terrible play-calling. We've run that same play numerous times in the past with Bradford.

It's one of Schotty's favorite plays. And Hill just inexplicably blew the play. It's the play that Austin Pettis got a lot of his TDs on.

You motion Cunningham out, run Britt(on this specific play) on the drag route to force the defenders over the middle of the field to the goal-line and then you try to sneak Givens(used to be Pettis) to the back of the end-zone.

It works if the safety follows Cunningham to give help because the CB often is counting on him for inside leverage. That's the primary read.

If the safety follows Givens, like Weddle did on this play, you move to the secondary read which is Cunningham 1 on 1 vs. a LB on a pivot route. This was the read that Hill should have made. Cunningham worked himself back inside and was open right after Hill let the ball go.

For some inexplicable reason, Hill locked onto the decoy(Britt) and then forced the ball in.

I hate the play-call in that situation for many reasons but if you're going to run it, run it correctly. I don't know what Hill was thinking. This is just one more area where I'd kill to have Bradford back...because that was one of his money plays.

Hearing that play described in detail just made my stomach turn. I was watching the game with a Chargers fan too. I need to choose better friends......

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
Hearing that play described in detail just made my stomach turn. I was watching the game with a Chargers fan too. I need to choose better friends......

I was more angry than I've been in quite awhile when I saw the play happen. Both at Schottenheimer and at Hill. You're a veteran QB. At worst, you should throw it away. But you should have executed the play properly.

However, you should have never had the opportunity to run that play.

SAK11

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
SAK11 wrote:
nodefense wrote:

Run the ball.

The play had 3 quick throwing options for Hill. Givens was quickly looked off and Britt should have been looked off too. That would have meant going to Cunnigham for an easy TD. Perhaps not the best best play call, but I'm fine going with a pass; they went for the win and with better QB play they would have got it. Hill has been in this league far too long to throw that pass, this is on him more than anyone.

I understand the frustration of wanting to run the ball on 2nd down from there, but in reality, if Hill does what he's supposed to do, we win the game on that "awful" play call. Plus, the Rams have liked throwing the ball from inside the 10 for a few years now, and have been pretty good at it. This season they had 8 TDs versus 0 picks from throws inside the 10 prior to that play.

Schotty has been good this season, not something I've said about him in past years but I like what he's done for the most part, especially with so many moving pieces due to injuries and having such a young team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: