Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Car Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 97, 98, 99  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudDolphan47 wrote:
AutoTrader.com listing
Me gusta.

Autotrader.com listing
Me gusta MUCHO...lot of miles on an 09 though. :/ Gives you guys a ballpark on my price range too.

High miles by itself should not turn you off. A few things it tells you. First, this car was mostly used for lots of highway miles, cruising at a sustained speed, which means comparatively on a per mile basis, there's much less wear and tear on the parts that really count. It also means it most likely was not ragged out mechanically, with lots of hard acceleration. There's simply not enough time for someone to put that kind of mileage AND do lots of hard acceleration.

Typically, high mileage is a non-issue on major components. It does wear out things like the AC, alternator, and other "accessories" a little faster, but many cars suffer from not enough long distance driving. Most traditional lubricants require a certain amount of temperature over a period of time to properly activate the additives in the oil. Lots of short trips not only means the oil isn't reaching temperature to condition seals properly, it means more stop and go, which means more carbon build up on components.

If a car with high mileage has records showing oil changes done appropriately 3-5K miles with conventional oil, or up to 10K with full synthetic, you'll be just as good if not better off then one that's been through a lot of city driving.

^ryknowssd on the sig
CaliforniaKid7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend just got this for his birthday, I wouldnt trust my kid in that car. BUt hey, I get to ride in it. Its just so dreamy Laughing

big thanks to OakleyCap on the sig
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiLo wrote:
I used to hate miatas but then I realized without it, the S2000 wouldn't be here. I love me some S2000.

Maybe... it's the most modern incarnation, but you could argue that the pre-revamp Celica and even more so the 90's Supras are just as responsible for the styling of the S2000.

It's still too much of a small car for me. Look, I love the way Porsche's perform but they're like go karts to me. I'm a muscle car guy (it's not my day to day driver but I've got a '68 Barracuda Formula S in my garage downstairs).

The closest to pure "sport" I'd go without getting into exotics would be the Pontiac Formula Trans Am from the late 70's (i.e. the raced-out version of the Firebird they released) that my dad used to own, but the insurance on that is (as is I really only get show insurance for my 'Cuda). Since I'm probably going to end up selling my '68 though (kid on the way, the cash will be nice to stash away for DP on a house), I'm keeping an eye out and probably around an extra $7-8k stashed to lay hands on a late 60's Pontiac of some kind to become the next project.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
SiLo wrote:
I used to hate miatas but then I realized without it, the S2000 wouldn't be here. I love me some S2000.

Maybe... it's the most modern incarnation, but you could argue that the pre-revamp Celica and even more so the 90's Supras are just as responsible for the styling of the S2000.

While that is true design wise, the S2000 is closer to the Miata in function (lightweight, RWD, roadster/sports car), which is what SiLo meant. The Miata revived the British sports car, if they hadn't done that, Honda probably wouldn't have made the S2000.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car literally shut itself off driving down the road today. Supposedly it has something to do with my car's computer. If I had been on the interstate already I would have died.
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as practicality goes, the Mazda RX-8 seems sensible, they say aside of the poor fuel milage (but that's a whole other story)...it's got a pretty good ride and the uniqueness of the rotary engine gives it a bit of get up you wouldn't expect from a 1.3 L.

Has anyone owned/driven one of them?

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
SiLo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllDay Peterson wrote:
The LBC wrote:
SiLo wrote:

While that is true design wise, the S2000 is closer to the Miata in function (lightweight, RWD, roadster/sports car), which is what SiLo meant. The Miata revived the British sports car, if they hadn't done that, Honda probably wouldn't have made the S2000.

Yeah, I hate how the Miata looks but driving it feels like driving a go-cart and is fun, just like an S2000. I would never own an S2000 because it has the same con as the miata, space! But I've sat in both, and they serve their purpose very well. Same reason I'm in love with the FRS/BRZ, i don't care much for the styling but I like pure sport cars, no fancy **** just car. So in that respect, I like the miata too, they are awesome at what they were meant to do.

Bird Watch: Brandon Boykin
27 TACKLES 0 SACK 1 FF 2 INT
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudDolphan47 wrote:
As far as practicality goes, the Mazda RX-8 seems sensible, they say aside of the poor fuel milage (but that's a whole other story)...it's got a pretty good ride and the uniqueness of the rotary engine gives it a bit of get up you wouldn't expect from a 1.3 L.

Is that the stock 1.3L or is that with the turbo charger that Mazda has a tendency to put on about a solid 1/3 or more of the vehicles they produce? Only reason I ask is, if he's attempting to keep costs manageable and he doesn't/isn't able to do a lot of his own minor maintenance (like oil changes and flushes and what not) then those turbo-charged smaller rotaries can start to add up as they (not require, but if you want the performance you should be getting out of it) are dog-eared for needing synthetic oil, etc.

It's the same thing we've encountered with my wife's Legacy GT - which for the record Subaru's are a pain in the butt to do work on yourself when you get into spark plug placement and the entire logistics of how things are arranged under the hood.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
ProudDolphan47 wrote:

Is that the stock 1.3L or is that with the turbo charger that Mazda has a tendency to put on about a solid 1/3 or more of the vehicles they produce? Only reason I ask is, if he's attempting to keep costs manageable and he doesn't/isn't able to do a lot of his own minor maintenance (like oil changes and flushes and what not) then those turbo-charged smaller rotaries can start to add up as they (not require, but if you want the performance you should be getting out of it) are dog-eared for needing synthetic oil, etc.

It's the same thing we've encountered with my wife's Legacy GT - which for the record Subaru's are a pain in the butt to do work on yourself when you get into spark plug placement and the entire logistics of how things are arranged under the hood.

Last RX that was turbo was the FD so no. And all turbo vehicles should run synthetic. Only problem with rotatarys are heat issues and they blow out the apex seals.

As for a subaru. Its a boxer engine. What more do I need to say???

Adopt A Patriot
Logan Ryan : CB
Tkls: Int: FF:
SiLo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with HOVA333, rotary motors are awesome but they all have things go wrong once you leave the factory setups. Unless your a pro or know a pro with rotary power, stay clear.

HOVA, did you mean good or bad on the subaru comment?

Bird Watch: Brandon Boykin
27 TACKLES 0 SACK 1 FF 2 INT
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 looks like a nice little hot rod. They really souped up the SRT versions compared to the regular frames. They're surprisingly reasonable for being 6-7 years old and originally $40,000.

Any particular reason, or just your typical depreciation?

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudDolphan47 wrote:
Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 looks like a nice little hot rod. They really souped up the SRT versions compared to the regular frames. They're surprisingly reasonable for being 6-7 years old and originally $40,000.

Any particular reason, or just your typical depreciation?

MOPAR doesn't hold value, and for a good reason most of the time. The problem you'll have with a Crossfire is that it has a Mercedes engine/trans in it. Parts are outrageous.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
AtariB20

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found out I need a new head gasket in my car, and its a lot more than I thought it would be. I called 4 or 5 places and the cheapest estimate I could get is $1450. Is that too expensive?
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AtariB20 wrote:
Just found out I need a new head gasket in my car, and its a lot more than I thought it would be. I called 4 or 5 places and the cheapest estimate I could get is $1450. Is that too expensive?

If you can't do it yourself, it's not outrageous. It's a really big job, so the labor is a killer.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
HOVA333

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AtariB20 wrote:

Well what car do you have? Is it an inline or V engine? All these things factor in, and also the places you are calling!!

Adopt A Patriot
Logan Ryan : CB
Tkls: Int: FF:

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 83 of 99

Jump to: