Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Car Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 97, 98, 99  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HOVA333

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiLo wrote:
I'm with HOVA333, rotary motors are awesome but they all have things go wrong once you leave the factory setups. Unless your a pro or know a pro with rotary power, stay clear.

HOVA, did you mean good or bad on the subaru comment?

Bad if you have no experience. Just youtube a boxer engine. Then imagine it stuffed in the engine bay. Its layout sucks not the engine it self. Its just more unorthodox.

Adopt A Patriot
Logan Ryan : CB
Tkls: Int: FF:
SiLo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOVA333 wrote:
SiLo wrote:
I'm with HOVA333, rotary motors are awesome but they all have things go wrong once you leave the factory setups. Unless your a pro or know a pro with rotary power, stay clear.

HOVA, did you mean good or bad on the subaru comment?

Bad if you have no experience. Just youtube a boxer engine. Then imagine it stuffed in the engine bay. Its layout sucks not the engine it self. Its just more unorthodox.

I figured that because boxer engines are awesome. The block of the frs/brz is said be able to hold 550+ HP with just bolt-ons.

Bird Watch: Brandon Boykin
27 TACKLES 0 SACK 1 FF 2 INT
Shorty McFast

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiLo wrote:
The block of the frs/brz is said be able to hold 550+ HP with just bolt-ons.

Wut?

The LS motors (GM) hold 1000+ HP (heck a few produce 550 stock!).

I believe the Nissan GT-R motor holds 700 HP (Aluminum Block) and I believe a few of their older steel blocks are capable of 1000 HP with stock internals.

I guess what I'm saying is 550HP is kind of low!
AtariB20

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOVA333 wrote:
AtariB20 wrote:
Just found out I need a new head gasket in my car, and its a lot more than I thought it would be. I called 4 or 5 places and the cheapest estimate I could get is $1450. Is that too expensive?

Well what car do you have? Is it an inline or V engine? All these things factor in, and also the places you are calling!!

I know nothing about cars, so I'm not even going to fake like i do.. but its a 2001 Impala 3.8 liter v6.
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know a decent amount about cars, and i've got a good buddy who can basically take apart a car and put it back together, but i just wanted to get some opinions.

i have a 97 Ford contour (college kid life) and it's been great (only 130,000 on it), no major issues. but i keep fixing stuff with my buddy (changed the whole exhaust, put in a new motor for one of the windows, etc.) and it's still got tons of little issues. one of the biggest right now is i'm leaking power steering fluid. i use to just refill it every couple of months because the stuff is so cheap, but now it's to the point where it seems like a week later it's almost all gone again, air conditioning doesn't work (maybe could just refill it, but it might not be that simple, haven't checked lately) which sucks in midwest summers when it's 95 and humid, and it's always rattled somewhat which sucks.

so i'm thinking about getting a new car (prolly like a 02 chevy prizm or something, i had fords). my car still "works" though, just got a ton of little problems. is it even worth trying to sell it for like the KBB value of like $900 or should i just junk it for $400 or so. just frustrating because like i said it still "works" (never had a major problem, leaky brakeline was the worst, which i also fixed) i'm just fed up with the problems.

El Ramster on the amazing work
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:
i know a decent amount about cars, and i've got a good buddy who can basically take apart a car and put it back together, but i just wanted to get some opinions.

i have a 97 Ford contour (college kid life) and it's been great (only 130,000 on it), no major issues. but i keep fixing stuff with my buddy (changed the whole exhaust, put in a new motor for one of the windows, etc.) and it's still got tons of little issues. one of the biggest right now is i'm leaking power steering fluid. i use to just refill it every couple of months because the stuff is so cheap, but now it's to the point where it seems like a week later it's almost all gone again, air conditioning doesn't work (maybe could just refill it, but it might not be that simple, haven't checked lately) which sucks in midwest summers when it's 95 and humid, and it's always rattled somewhat which sucks.

so i'm thinking about getting a new car (prolly like a 02 chevy prizm or something, i had fords). my car still "works" though, just got a ton of little problems. is it even worth trying to sell it for like the KBB value of like $900 or should i just junk it for $400 or so. just frustrating because like i said it still "works" (never had a major problem, leaky brakeline was the worst, which i also fixed) i'm just fed up with the problems.

If you're willing to get rid of it for $400, sell it for $750. You'll find a taker as long as it runs.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:

If you're willing to get rid of it for $400, sell it for $750. You'll find a taker as long as it runs.

that's what i figured, especially in the current state of our economy

El Ramster on the amazing work
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllDay Peterson wrote:
The LBC wrote:
SiLo wrote:
I used to hate miatas but then I realized without it, the S2000 wouldn't be here. I love me some S2000.

Maybe... it's the most modern incarnation, but you could argue that the pre-revamp Celica and even more so the 90's Supras are just as responsible for the styling of the S2000.

While that is true design wise, the S2000 is closer to the Miata in function (lightweight, RWD, roadster/sports car), which is what SiLo meant. The Miata revived the British sports car, if they hadn't done that, Honda probably wouldn't have made the S2000.

Perhaps but the late 90's and early 2000's saw a rebirth in the sports car with the introduction of the Audi TT, BMW Z's, Mercedes SLK class roadster, and others.

Honda's sports car had been the Prelude but they knew they would have to redesign the car and modernize it. So they made a corporate decision to build a new car that featured what they had learned on the track and feature it in a new sports car model. With that decision they also determined to drop the Prelude after the 2001 model year.

So I think the marketplace and the sudden popularity of the roadster designs had more influence on Honda than the Miata which had been in production for many years. It was the new roadsters which hurt Prelude sales not the Miata.

I can tell you when the S2000 was introduced it was simply amazing but it turned off many drivers because the high reving engine just wasn't something North American drivers were used to. To stay in the power band you had to keep the revs very high and it was simply a foreign concept to many people.

Our friends owned a Honda dealership and we had the opportunity to test drive the car on a closed course during an introduction event and the car was unlike anything I had driven to that point. Once you figure out how to drive the car it was an absolute rocket on rails.

It was never supposed to be a major seller and if what I was told was true in the early years the car was sold at a loss by Honda. It was really a vehicle designed to showcase Honda's ability. It's also important that there has been constant requests of Honda to introduce a redesigned Prelude. The car still has a strong following and fan base.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Neumatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiLo wrote:
I figured that because boxer engines are awesome. The block of the frs/brz is said be able to hold 550+ HP with just bolt-ons.
You wouldn't sniff 550hp with just bolt ons. Unless you consider forced induction and cam bolt on(they're not).

Jamison. on the sig
SiLo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neumatic wrote:
SiLo wrote:
You wouldn't sniff 550hp with just bolt ons. Unless you consider forced induction and cam bolt on(they're not).

Forced Induction are bolts on, all you do is bolt them on with little modification.

Shorty McFast wrote:

Wut?

The LS motors (GM) hold 1000+ HP (heck a few produce 550 stock!).

I believe the Nissan GT-R motor holds 700 HP (Aluminum Block) and I believe a few of their older steel blocks are capable of 1000 HP with stock internals.

I guess what I'm saying is 550HP is kind of low!

Those are V8s, 500 in a 4 cylinder in pretty good.

MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10psi puts the BRZ up to 276RWHP. They said they got a run at 283, but it sounded like they had problems. Even at 283RWHP, it's not 500 at the fly. I doubt you can give it more than 10psi without causing serious issues. It comes with 12.5:1 compression, so you're already risking it with 10psi. I'm really doubting you can get 500 with bolt-ons, at least not without blowing the heads off.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
SiLo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
10psi puts the BRZ up to 276RWHP. They said they got a run at 283, but it sounded like they had problems. Even at 283RWHP, it's not 500 at the fly. I doubt you can give it more than 10psi without causing serious issues. It comes with 12.5:1 compression, so you're already risking it with 10psi. I'm really doubting you can get 500 with bolt-ons, at least not without blowing the heads off.

Well IDK but it's said the block can hold it so IDK what they mean by that

HOVA333

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiLo wrote:
MrDrew wrote:

Well IDK but it's said the block can hold it so IDK what they mean by that

Im not going to read up on the engine, but im going to assume its an impreza block. The actual engine won't come close to those numbers with that high of compression.( go big boost or go home )

Adopt A Patriot
HOVA333

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiLo wrote:
Neumatic wrote:
SiLo wrote:

Forced Induction are bolts on, all you do is bolt them on with little modification.

No Im sorry ...No

Adopt A Patriot
HOVA333

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AtariB20 wrote:
HOVA333 wrote:
AtariB20 wrote:
Just found out I need a new head gasket in my car, and its a lot more than I thought it would be. I called 4 or 5 places and the cheapest estimate I could get is $1450. Is that too expensive?

Well what car do you have? Is it an inline or V engine? All these things factor in, and also the places you are calling!!

I know nothing about cars, so I'm not even going to fake like i do.. but its a 2001 Impala 3.8 liter v6.

Yea, probably quoting to do both heads. Maybe most likely its the head closer to the fire wall ( closer to you ), but it is recommended to do both at the same time either way.

Adopt A Patriot

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 84 of 99

Jump to: