Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Chicago Cubs Thread - 5-13 - Ugly
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 101, 102, 103  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hrubes20

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ServantofYHWH wrote:
Who do we target in free agency?

More players of the David DeJesus and Paul Maholm mold. Guys that we can get on short-term deals that may be traded at the deadline for younger players. That's my guess, anyway, from the comments made by the FO so far. Probably one SP from the Shawn Marcum/Ervin Santana/Brandon McCarthy/Anibal Sanchez, etc. tier of pitchers, and then one guy that is a longer shot to be worthwhile, like Carlos Villanueva/Francisco Liriano/Jonathan Sanchez, etc.

I would guess Kevin Youkilis is a Cub as well. Need at 3B, and he is obviously quite familiar with the FO. He even made comments about the Cubs in Chicago. It was something to the effect of, "I can't believe that even though we (the White Sox) are in a division race, it is still the Cubs' town". Obviously, the White Sox have to decline his option first, but I think it's going to happen.

Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
CBears019

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bleachernation.com/2012/10/11/baez-baez-and-a-side-of-baez-and-other-baez-bullets/

Article praising Javier Baez and mentioning 4 Cub prospects listed in the top 50 for next year. Check out Baez's monster shot at the bottom of the page.

Adopt-a-Bear: Martellus Bennett, TE
Rec: 77 Yds: 821 TD: 6

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
hrubes20

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
http://www.bleachernation.com/2012/10/11/baez-baez-and-a-side-of-baez-and-other-baez-bullets/

Article praising Javier Baez and mentioning 4 Cub prospects listed in the top 50 for next year. Check out Baez's monster shot at the bottom of the page.

Yeah, he's a beast. 2nd youngest player down there. With it essentially being a concensus that his D at SS is good, he's a top 20 prospect in the game, maybe higher. I am just not going to get attached to him, as he wasn't drafted by the current FO and I see him being the main trade piece to acquire a premium starting pitcher (aka David Price).

ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jeff baker trade is complete. Got the 11th best tiger prospect.
hrubes20

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ServantofYHWH wrote:
The jeff baker trade is complete. Got the 11th best tiger prospect.

Marcelo Carreno. Will be entering his age 21 season this next year. Low 90's sinkerballer with little else in his repetoire at the moment. Throws tons of strikes. He's hardly an impressive prospect at the moment, but he does have some potential as a back of the rotation starter. For half a season of Jeff Baker, that's a solid return.

Lions017

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like we could be in the market for an outfielder if we trade Soriano. Any thoughts?

Brett Jackson is apparently starting the year in AAA.

David DeJesus is a lock to start in CF or RF.

Bryan LaHair, Tony Campana, and Dave Sappelt are all (not great) options.

Reed Johnson is apparently interested in coming back, but he's more of a platoon/bench player like the other three above.

Might we take a shot on Melky Cabrera? Other teams might be afraid of him, but he's a guy that could have a lot of value if he comes back.

I don't know, there aren't many good starting options out there. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
It looks like we could be in the market for an outfielder if we trade Soriano. Any thoughts?

Reed Johnson is apparently interested in coming back, but he's more of a platoon/bench player like the other three above.

Might we take a shot on Melky Cabrera? Other teams might be afraid of him, but he's a guy that could have a lot of value if he comes back.

I'm working on a mock offseason that I'd like to see the Cubs have. You already touched on one of the moves I want to see: signing Melky Cabrera.

CBears019

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Bob Brenly has left WGN and will no longer commentate the Cubs games with Len Kasper. It's sad, I really liked listening to the two of those guys together.

I know Brenly interviewed for some managerial positions in recent years, but I haven't heard of anything recently about that. I wonder what he's going to do.

AZBearsFan wrote:

ramssuperbowl99

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
Lions017 wrote:

I'm working on a mock offseason that I'd like to see the Cubs have. You already touched on one of the moves I want to see: signing Melky Cabrera.
I think a Melky signing would be approved by about every intelligent MLB fan. Dude is set up to be dramatically underpaid.

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
holt_bruce81

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
So Bob Brenly has left WGN and will no longer commentate the Cubs games with Len Kasper. It's sad, I really liked listening to the two of those guys together.

I know Brenly interviewed for some managerial positions in recent years, but I haven't heard of anything recently about that. I wonder what he's going to do.

Heard about that, why do you think they let him go? Was he that bad or just not that into it?

Heard Mark Grace is leaving the Dbacks broadcast booth. Seems like a perfect flip flop.
CBears019

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holt_bruce81 wrote:
CBears019 wrote:

Heard about that, why do you think they let him go? Was he that bad or just not that into it?

Heard Mark Grace is leaving the Dbacks broadcast booth. Seems like a perfect flip flop.

Not really sure...I think it's more his choice that he's leaving than it is WGN's. He's been toying with the idea of leaving for a while it seems. He's probably got a better offer somewhere else - maybe a major network? I know he was on the World Series broadcast last year or the year before. So maybe we see him on MLBN or ESPN sometime soon. I don't know, I'm just brainstorming...

AZBearsFan wrote:

hrubes20

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holt_bruce81 wrote:
CBears019 wrote:

I'm not a big fan of Gracie in the booth, although he certainly would be a fan favorite. I wonder if Rick Sutcliffe would give up the part time gig at ESPN to be the color guy for the Cubs fulltime?

Either way, I'm sad about Bob leaving. He and Len formed one of the better duos in the entire game.

DirtyDez

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad we're getting Brenly but it sucks that Gracie had some issues because was a great analyst. It takes a while to get used yogis sarcasm & personality but he made it enjoyable. Seems like a good fit if he ends up the Cubs' color guy.

The Rebuild Has Begun...
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garza + whom for Justin Upton (on a team friendly deal)

#JDI
CBears019

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
Garza + whom for Justin Upton (on a team friendly deal)

I would love that. But we're on his no trade list, so I doubt he'd want to come here.

AZBearsFan wrote:

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 101, 102, 103  Next
Page 84 of 103

Jump to: