Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Chicago Cubs Thread - 5-13 - Ugly
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 101, 102, 103  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RockyDennis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still cool with this team sitting tight until the right moves comes in the future. It's going to be another long season but I think we can all handle it. With the value some of these guys are going for I really hope Garza can come back strong and get moved at the deadline for some solid prospects.
hrubes20

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockyDennis wrote:
I'm still cool with this team sitting tight until the right moves comes in the future. It's going to be another long season but I think we can all handle it. With the value some of these guys are going for I really hope Garza can come back strong and get moved at the deadline for some solid prospects.

Thing is, a Sanchez signing would make sense for the future as well. He would only be 34 in the last year of that contract. You would hope the Cubs are in contention at that point. I'm pretty bummed out that we learned signing was even a possibility.

As for Garza's trade value, it would be at its highest at the end of a healthy and effective ST for him. Let's just hope he can have one.

Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
RockyDennis wrote:

Thing is, a Sanchez signing would make sense for the future as well. He would only be 34 in the last year of that contract. You would hope the Cubs are in contention at that point. I'm pretty bummed out that we learned signing was even a possibility.

As for Garza's trade value, it would be at its highest at the end of a healthy and effective ST for him. Let's just hope he can have one.

I'm glad we moved on from Sanchez. He's nothing more than a decent starting pitcher.
hrubes20

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ServantofYHWH wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:
RockyDennis wrote:

I'm glad we moved on from Sanchez. He's nothing more than a decent starting pitcher.

He's averaged 4 fWAR over the past 3 seasons, and hasn't been under 3.8 in any of them. 22nd most fWAR of a SP in 2012; 28th in 2011; 22nd in 2010. He would have been a younger, better replacement for Dempster and would have slot in as a good #2/#3 starter in the rotation. He most definately is more than a "decent starting pitcher."

ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
ServantofYHWH wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:
RockyDennis wrote:

He's averaged 4 fWAR over the past 3 seasons, and hasn't been under 3.8 in any of them. 22nd most fWAR of a SP in 2012; 28th in 2011; 22nd in 2010. He would have been a younger, better replacement for Dempster and would have slot in as a good #2/#3 starter in the rotation. He most definately is more than a "decent starting pitcher."

He's never had a season with am ERA lower than 3.55 in a full season, he's never pitched more than 200 inning in a season, and the lowest WHIP of his career is 1.27.
LionsFan01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ServantofYHWH wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:
ServantofYHWH wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:
RockyDennis wrote:

He's never had a season with am ERA lower than 3.55 in a full season, he's never pitched more than 200 inning in a season, and the lowest WHIP of his career is 1.27.

If Sanchez is nothing more than a decent pitcher, than neither is Matt Garza. And I'd be willing to bet that's not your opinion of Garza. The two have been quite similar since 2010.

Props to NCPackers_08 on the sig!
hrubes20

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan01 wrote:
ServantofYHWH wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:
ServantofYHWH wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:
RockyDennis wrote:

If Sanchez is nothing more than a decent pitcher, than neither is Matt Garza. And I'd be willing to bet that's not your opinion of Garza. The two have been quite similar since 2010.

Pretty much.

Lions017

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The appealing part of Sanchez wasn't that he was some dominant pitcher, it was that he is a good pitcher that is still young and was going for pretty much what he is worth. If Garza bounces back and we sign him to an extension, I wouldn't be surprised if it was in that $15M/season range.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan01 wrote:
ServantofYHWH wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:
ServantofYHWH wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:
RockyDennis wrote:

I view them both as slightly above average starters.
Lions017

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on Edwin Jackson? We're rumored to be looking at him.

It all depends on the price, of course, but he has been pretty solid for a few years now. I'm guessing he'll cost something like $12M/year for 3-4 years. He's 29.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ServantofYHWH wrote:
LionsFan01 wrote:
ServantofYHWH wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:
ServantofYHWH wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:
RockyDennis wrote:

I view them both as slightly above average starters.

They are both likely top 25 starters in the game when healthy. What on earth is an average starter to you?

hrubes20

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
Any thoughts on Edwin Jackson? We're rumored to be looking at him.

It all depends on the price, of course, but he has been pretty solid for a few years now. I'm guessing he'll cost something like $12M/year for 3-4 years. He's 29.

I would love to get Jackson, but I honestly think he'll be more expensive than that. If you could sign him for 3/$36, you jump on it. He's a solid bet to be a 3 WAR per year guy over the life of that contract, and the value of a Win is only going up.

CBears019

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On to the next one...

Quote:
Edwin Jackson - S - Nationals
Jim Bowden of ESPN.com reports that Edwin Jackson is down to the Rangers and Cubs after the Padres refused to offer him four years and bowed out.
The Angels and Indians had previously expressed interest in the right-hander, but they're evidently no longer players. The Rangers view Jackson as a backup plan after losing out on Zack Greinke, while the Cubs are looking at him as a backup plan after being outbid for Anibal Sanchez. The right-hander shouldn't have trouble getting $50+ million on a four-year deal.

FG: 25/28 XP: 41/42 LNG: 58 Yards

hrubes20

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
On to the next one...

Quote:
Edwin Jackson - S - Nationals
Jim Bowden of ESPN.com reports that Edwin Jackson is down to the Rangers and Cubs after the Padres refused to offer him four years and bowed out.
The Angels and Indians had previously expressed interest in the right-hander, but they're evidently no longer players. The Rangers view Jackson as a backup plan after losing out on Zack Greinke, while the Cubs are looking at him as a backup plan after being outbid for Anibal Sanchez. The right-hander shouldn't have trouble getting $50+ million on a four-year deal.

For my sanity, I am going to assume every report of the Cubs going after anybody or making any trades is incorrect.

CBears019

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cubs will not be signing Carlos Villanueva:

Quote:
Carlos Villanueva - R - Blue Jays
CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Cubs have agreed to a deal with Carlos Villanueva.
Terms of the deal are not yet known, but, assuming it's not too out of line, it's another sneaky addition to the rotation by the Cubs. Villanueva was shifted back and forth from starter to reliever the last two seasons by the Blue Jays, but he pitched really well out of the rotation in 2012 before a couple late-season blowups inflated his ERA. All told, he put up a 4.16 ERA and 112/46 K/BB ratio over 125 1/3 innings this past season.
Related: Cubs

FG: 25/28 XP: 41/42 LNG: 58 Yards

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 101, 102, 103  Next
Page 91 of 103

Jump to: