Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Chicago Cubs Thread - 5-13 - Ugly
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 101, 102, 103  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lions017

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Apparently Baker might not be totally ready to start the season, and even then it's always good to have rotation/bullpen depth.

Garza
Samardzija
Villanueva
Baker
Feldman

That's a decent group. It looks even better with Edwin Jackson. Don't forget that we have Travis Wood too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
Sounds good. Apparently Baker might not be totally ready to start the season, and even then it's always good to have rotation/bullpen depth.

Garza
Samardzija
Villanueva
Baker
Feldman

That's a decent group. It looks even better with Edwin Jackson. Don't forget that we have Travis Wood too.

I really question the need for Carlos Villanueva, if the Cubs are indeed serious about Edwin Jackson. Makes me think a Garza deal is already agreed to, or that he may not be ready for ST.

Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
Lions017

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
Lions017 wrote:

Garza
Samardzija
Villanueva
Baker
Feldman

I really question the need for Carlos Villanueva, if the Cubs are indeed serious about Edwin Jackson. Makes me think a Garza deal is already agreed to, or that he may not be ready for ST.

Villanueva is for two years, apparently.

Maybe Baker or Garza won't be ready for ST. If not, this lets us still fill out a complete rotation. We also don't know if Villanueva can hold up for 30 starts, so having all of these pitchers can let us move him back to the pen later in the season or still fill out a competent rotation if we trade Baker or Feldman or Garza.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Villanueva is 2 years, $10M. Jackson is reportedly going to be around 4 years, $52M for wherever he signs.

Adopt-a-Bear: Martellus Bennett, TE
Rec: 36 Yds: 364 TD: 4

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
hrubes20

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:
Lions017 wrote:

Garza
Samardzija
Villanueva
Baker
Feldman

Villanueva is for two years, apparently.

Maybe Baker or Garza won't be ready for ST. If not, this lets us still fill out a complete rotation. We also don't know if Villanueva can hold up for 30 starts, so having all of these pitchers can let us move him back to the pen later in the season or still fill out a competent rotation if we trade Baker or Feldman or Garza.

We also have Alberto Cabrera being stretched out as a starter, and Arodys Vizcaino coming back from TJS. The FO has stated that Vizcaino will be a starter, and they will try to get him to the 100 IP mark. I'm guessing he starts the year in the AAA rotation, given the rotation depth, and then gets bumped to the big league bullpen later in the year to keep his innings down.

Wood also has another option, so he could be in AAA if we don't trade anybody and the others are healthy and performing.

Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@mlbdailydish
#Cubs sign RHP Edwin Jackson to 4-year, $52 million deal sbn.to/WswFLv

#JDI
Lions017

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Jackson signing. Fits in with that $12M (he got $13M) for 3-4 years that I predicted. Our rotation is so much better that it's not even funny.

Garza, Samardzija, Jackson is a decent (not great) 1-2-3 punch, and we have a lot of depth.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
I like the Jackson signing. Fits in with that $12M (he got $13M) for 3-4 years that I predicted. Our rotation is so much better that it's not even funny.

Garza, Samardzija, Jackson is a decent (not great) 1-2-3 punch, and we have a lot of depth.

Baker is a pretty terrific #4 as well, if he can come back and be effective. With that said, I still think Garza is gone after he pitches a few times in spring training.

hrubes20

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. If any of you guys post at PSD, you know that Marlin Bystro has been a terrific inside source for Cubs rumors. He just dropped a pretty big one, in that the Cubs are definately in the mix for Michael Bourn.

So much for the FO being content to tank another season.

CBears019

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
Wow. If any of you guys post at PSD, you know that Marlin Bystro has been a terrific inside source for Cubs rumors. He just dropped a pretty big one, in that the Cubs are definately in the mix for Michael Bourn.

I remember rumors of that earlier in the offseason, but his price tag was ridiculous. If he came down from that $100M mark I'd be interested in getting him.

AZBearsFan wrote:

hrubes20

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:

I remember rumors of that earlier in the offseason, but his price tag was ridiculous. If he came down from that $100M mark I'd be interested in getting him.

I'm trying to think of another team that really needs a CFer and could afford him, and none are coming to mind. Maybe the Rangers or White Sox, but they could just as easily go with Leonys Martin or Alejandro De Aza.

gofrogs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
CBears019 wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:

I'm trying to think of another team that really needs a CFer and could afford him, and none are coming to mind. Maybe the Rangers or White Sox, but they could just as easily go with Leonys Martin or Alejandro De Aza.

Im pretty sure we are going to platoon Martin and Gentry in center so we probably arent interested in Bourn.

Do you guys think a package of Olt, Grimm, Murphy, Borbon and Odor would get Garza and Soriano (with $22-$26M of his contract covered)?

If not what do you think fits better. (Profar is not in the conversation)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gofrogs wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:
CBears019 wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:

Im pretty sure we are going to platoon Martin and Gentry in center so we probably arent interested in Bourn.

Do you guys think a package of Olt, Grimm, Murphy, Borbon and Odor would get Garza and Soriano (with $22-$26M of his contract covered)?

Wasn't Mike Olt considered one of the elite prospects a few months ago? What happened with him?

AZBearsFan wrote:

CBears019

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you guys feel about our catching situation? Didn't they have the worst-ranked catching dup last year.

I know they signed Navarro earlier, but had I known they were going to spend money then I would have liked to see them go after Pierzynski. He played real well last year and could be a guy to trade at the deadline to continue getting prospects.

AZBearsFan wrote:

gofrogs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
gofrogs wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:
CBears019 wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:

Wasn't Mike Olt considered one of the elite prospects a few months ago? What happened with him?

He is still considered a top 30 prospect, but he is stuck behind Beltre and he is 24. And he struggled in his first 40 PA. But make no mistake this guy is going to be a gold glove 3rd baseman that hits 30-35 HR a year. But with Beltre under contract for 4 more years and Gallo coming up behind Olt, we can afford to trade away a guy like him to help us now.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 101, 102, 103  Next
Page 92 of 103

Jump to: