Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Chicago Cubs Thread - 5-13 - Ugly
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 101, 102, 103  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ChiSportsFan


Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 5693
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
CBears019 wrote:
DLee has hit 3 home runs in the past two games. Could he possible be getting it going? I hope so because that would be perfect timing so that we could trade him in a month and a half.


Agreed. He put on quite the show for the Angels this weekend. I just wish we could get something done there. I love D-Lee, and it would be tough to see him go, but the writing is on the wall.

With his NTC he isn't going anywhere IMO. The Cubs likely aren't gonna re-sign him in the offseason as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hrubes20


Joined: 02 Jan 2006
Posts: 9722
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChiSportsFan wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:
CBears019 wrote:
DLee has hit 3 home runs in the past two games. Could he possible be getting it going? I hope so because that would be perfect timing so that we could trade him in a month and a half.


Agreed. He put on quite the show for the Angels this weekend. I just wish we could get something done there. I love D-Lee, and it would be tough to see him go, but the writing is on the wall.

With his NTC he isn't going anywhere IMO. The Cubs likely aren't gonna re-sign him in the offseason as well.


You are acting like a NTC strictly prohibits a player from being traded. It doesn't. And I can almost guarantee that Lee would waive his NTC if he was being shopped to a legit contender. What 34 year old wouldn't want to leave a sinking ship for a chance at another WS ring?

And you're right, there is no way he is going to be re-signed this offseason. Hendry is a pansy, and won't offer him arbitration, so Lee will walk with no compensation coming back to us. This is why I want to see him dealt. Lilly is a little different, as he will most assuredly get a solid multi-year deal on the FA market. If we don't offer him arbitration after the year, I might flip.
_________________


Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CBears019


Moderator
Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 16549
Location: Darien, IL
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well as a complete roster overhaul by the trade deadline and offseason, do you guys expect a complete regime change as well? You would kind of expect a new owner to bring in his own guys to run the show. And especially after a season like this with Lou's contract expiring I don't see any way he comes back (if he makes it through the season).
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear: Martellus Bennett, TE


AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hrubes20


Joined: 02 Jan 2006
Posts: 9722
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
As well as a complete roster overhaul by the trade deadline and offseason, do you guys expect a complete regime change as well? You would kind of expect a new owner to bring in his own guys to run the show. And especially after a season like this with Lou's contract expiring I don't see any way he comes back (if he makes it through the season).


Well, Lou is gone, that much is certain. However, he won't be fired during the season, as Hendry and Ricketts have too much respect for what Lou has done in the past. Look for Ryne Sandberg to get some serious consideration for our manager next year. I'm not sure I like it all that much, as his managerial style isn't exactly what I prefer, but it would definately bring more fans to the ball park in a year where we are somewhat rebuilding. As rough as it has been this year, I think next year will be worse.

Hendry will get one more year, as I believe his contract runs out after 2011. Ricketts has said that he is fine with Hendry, and honestly, if Ricketts is there to keep Hendry's free-spending ways in check, Hendry is a decent GM. He's made a few boneheaded moves, but he's made some brilliant ones as well:

Signing Mark DeRosa for beans, and then subsequently trading him while his value was high (We got 3 quality arms out of the deal, all who appear to be big league quality)

Trading Hee-Seop Choi for Derrek Lee

Trading Jose Hernandez, Bobby Hill and some minor league stiff for Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton

Signing Ted Lilly to a terrific below market deal

Signing Marlon Byrd

Trading Milton Bradley for Carlos Silva and $9 million (although the original signing of Bradley was terrible, so this is probably a wash)

Signing Ryan Dempster to his original FA deal, when nobody wanted to take a chance on his twice cut-open arm.

Trading Josh Donaldson, Sean Gallagher, Eric Patterson and Matt Murton for Rich Harden and Chad Gaudin. We don't have the best team in the NL in 2008 without Harden. None of those prospects look likely to do anything at the big league level.

Trading Josh Harrison, Jose Ascanio and Kevin Hart for John Grabow and Tom Gorzelanny. The re-signing of Grabow to the deal he did this offseason was a minus, but still, the acquisition of Gorzelanny for beans was great.

Todd Hundley and Chad Hermansen for Mark Grudzielanek and Eric Karros (we don't get 6 outs away from the WS in 2003 without these guys)

These are just the ones I could think of, off the top of my head. He's had a good run with the trades, it's the FA signings and player extensions that have gotten Hendry into trouble. My other big beef is his allergy to offering arbitration to FA's and getting compensation picks, but that is another story.

As for the rest of the group, I would imagine Alan Trammell and Larry Rothschild would get their jobs back, if they want them. Rudy Jaramillo as well. There aren't many hitting/pitching coach duos that I would take over the one we have.
_________________


Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lions017


Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 5018
Location: Alaska
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Hendry and Lou are done after this year as well, and Sandberg could be the guy to replace him. It would be a little risky, I think, since Sandberg hasn't been a manager for very long at all, but you never know. Getting someone to fill in for a year or two (even Trammell) wouldn't do much, and Sandberg's younger, fresh approach might be what the team needs.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hrubes20


Joined: 02 Jan 2006
Posts: 9722
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
I think that Hendry and Lou are done after this year as well, and Sandberg could be the guy to replace him. It would be a little risky, I think, since Sandberg hasn't been a manager for very long at all, but you never know. Getting someone to fill in for a year or two (even Trammell) wouldn't do much, and Sandberg's younger, fresh approach might be what the team needs.


That's the thing, though. Sandberg is extremely old school in his managerial philosophy. He calls for a crazy amount of sac bunts and other small-ball tactics. I'm ok with playing small-ball every now and again, but it shouldn't be done every game; especially when Wrigley Field is your home stadium and the wind howls out about half the time.
_________________


Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lions017


Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 5018
Location: Alaska
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
Lions017 wrote:
I think that Hendry and Lou are done after this year as well, and Sandberg could be the guy to replace him. It would be a little risky, I think, since Sandberg hasn't been a manager for very long at all, but you never know. Getting someone to fill in for a year or two (even Trammell) wouldn't do much, and Sandberg's younger, fresh approach might be what the team needs.


That's the thing, though. Sandberg is extremely old school in his managerial philosophy. He calls for a crazy amount of sac bunts and other small-ball tactics. I'm ok with playing small-ball every now and again, but it shouldn't be done every game; especially when Wrigley Field is your home stadium and the wind howls out about half the time.


I was talking more about his attitude. I haven't been able to see Sandberg manage, so I don't really know, but I'm guessing that he'll show more energy than Lou has this year. Lou has just been sitting there. Sandberg seems like a guy who will get on the players for not doing the basics right (which is a huge problem with this team).
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Its A Sabotage


Moderator
Joined: 14 May 2010
Posts: 35148
Location: Do. Your. Job.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
Lions017 wrote:
I think that Hendry and Lou are done after this year as well, and Sandberg could be the guy to replace him. It would be a little risky, I think, since Sandberg hasn't been a manager for very long at all, but you never know. Getting someone to fill in for a year or two (even Trammell) wouldn't do much, and Sandberg's younger, fresh approach might be what the team needs.


That's the thing, though. Sandberg is extremely old school in his managerial philosophy. He calls for a crazy amount of sac bunts and other small-ball tactics. I'm ok with playing small-ball every now and again, but it shouldn't be done every game; especially when Wrigley Field is your home stadium and the wind howls out about half the time.


The only problem with small ball at the moment, is that we do not have a small ball team, get rid of the older players, get younger, and try and get Soriano back on track then maybe, but not now.
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JonesDrew32


Joined: 01 Jan 2007
Posts: 13621
Location: Duval
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol at Big Z going crazy in the dugout.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blazer026


Joined: 01 Feb 2009
Posts: 2254
Location: Michigan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what will happen to Big Z
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eagles27


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2007
Posts: 31138
Location: Vancouver, BC
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer026 wrote:
I wonder what will happen to Big Z

The team already suspended him.
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CBears019


Moderator
Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 16549
Location: Darien, IL
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what Bob Brenley said, someone needs to get emotional and kick this team into gear. But I am sick and tired of Big Z and all of his drama. We don't know what he said, but for DLee to get that pissed off then he must have been really calling out the fielders. Thank God the coaches got in the way because Z would have put Lee on the DL otherwise.

I would love to trade Z this moment, but he has a NTC and who would want him at this price, his lack of production, and his temper issues? I sure as hell wouldn't. This is a really crappy situation the Cubs are in now. Z said that this year would be different and that there wouldn't be any outbursts like that (not that any one believed him) but it is obviously just like any other year. This is just Z being Z.
_________________
Adopt-a-Bear: Martellus Bennett, TE


AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
A.J. Hawk Fan


Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Posts: 14128
Location: Wiscansin (calhounlambeau on the awesome work)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
I agree with what Bob Brenley said, someone needs to get emotional and kick this team into gear. But I am sick and tired of Big Z and all of his drama. We don't know what he said, but for DLee to get that pissed off then he must have been really calling out the fielders. Thank God the coaches got in the way because Z would have put Lee on the DL otherwise.

I would love to trade Z this moment, but he has a NTC and who would want him at this price, his lack of production, and his temper issues? I sure as hell wouldn't. This is a really crappy situation the Cubs are in now. Z said that this year would be different and that there wouldn't be any outbursts like that (not that any one believed him) but it is obviously just like any other year. This is just Z being Z.
I don't think that was the right way, however.
_________________

3-Peat Footballs Future Elite Baseball League Champion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lions017


Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 5018
Location: Alaska
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zambrano can't be traded. Nobody will take him.

Anyway, I would like to see some energy from this team. They just seem to be going through the motions. The only guys that really seem to care are the rookies and Marlon Byrd. Everyone else seems to be treading water. I understand it from Lou's point of view, since there's only so much that a manager can do, but it is pretty irritating to see everyone look so disinterested.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blazer026


Joined: 01 Feb 2009
Posts: 2254
Location: Michigan
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that we sent Chad Tracy down!!!!! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 101, 102, 103  Next
Page 3 of 103

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group