Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official MLS Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eaglesfan536890

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Official MLS Thread Reply with quote

Official MLS Website

LeeEvans wrote:
DC United

Famous Alumni: Ben Olsen, Eddie Pope, Ryan Nelson, John Harkes, Marco Etcheverry, Bruce Arena(Manager)

Past: DC United is the Liverpool of the MLS. They have won 4 MLS cups, 4 MLS Supporters Shields, 2 US Open Cups, and one CONCACAF Champions' Cup. They are, however, going through a tough patch at the moment. DC United has looked into getting a new soccer specific stadium but at the moment their home stadium is RFK stadium in DC. DC United were one of the founding members of the MLS and everyone is chasing their achievements.

Current Talent: Jaime Moreno is a living legend for DC United. He played for United from 1996 to 2002 and from 2004 to the present and has played 315 games for the club so far and has scored 132 goals in the process. Luciano Emilio often partners Moreno and was the leagues highest scorer a couple seasons ago. He is a good finisher and when he is out of the team, they often struggle for goals. Canadian Dejan Jakovic anchors the backline for United. In midfield Clyde Simms is the midfield general and Santino Quaranta is a creative midfielder with an eye for goal. Bill Hamid is a very talented young goalkeeper for DC United who looks like a possible star for the MLS and for the US national team. However, the biggest young star on DC United is Andy Najar. Najar is an extremely talented winger from Honduras. He has risen through DC United's academy and has absolutely exploded onto the MLS scene and has taken the league by storm. Najar has brilliant technical ability and can be seen dribbling through opposing defenses, making backheel passes, and doing step overs. He is also a good finisher and contributes his fair share of goals.

CTownBrowns wrote:
Los Angeles Galaxy

Notable Alumni: Chris Albright, Mauricio Cienfuegos, Kevin Hartman, Ezra Hendrickson, Cobi Jones, Tyrone Marshall, Carlos Ruiz, Alexi Lalas

Past: The Los Angeles Galaxy are one of the most successful mls franchise, boasting the largest all-time goal differential and most points earned. They also have won 2 MLS Cups, 2 MLS Supporter Shields, 2 US Open Cups, and one CONCACAF Champions' Cup.

Rivalries: Chivas USA - Doesn't have a ton of history but they play in the same city in the same stadium so its just natural.
San Jose Earthquakes - Intra-State Rivals, almost missed them a little when they moved to Houston.
DC United - The two best teams in the MLS (historically).

Current Talent: One of the best teams we've had the current squad is a solid mix of young and veteran talent. The teams best player is by far Landon Donovan, he's lead the team in goals each of the last 5 seasons and while it doesn't look like he'll be doing that this year he is leading the league in assists while only playing in 10 games. Edson Buddle is a great finisher, he is somewhat inconsistent and injury prone but this seems to be an "on" year for him. On the backline we have the last two Rookies of the Year in Sean Franklin and Omar Gonzalez and we look to be pushing for our third straight with midfielder Michael Stephens. Three new faces that are having a big impact on this year's team are the three brazilians on loan from Sao Paulo; Leonardo, Alex Cazumba, and Juninho. And last but not least is our great keeper Donovan Ricketts who has played a large role in the Galaxy only allowing .44 goals per game this year. I guess I should also mention Beckham here even though he has only played in 47 games for us since coming here in 2007.

rabbisson wrote:
New England Revolution

Famous Alumni: Clint Dempsey, Joe Max Moore, Alexi Lalas, John Harkes, Michael Parkhurst (Thomas Rongen was also once our coach!)

Past: This team has never won the MLS Cup, even though they made it in three consecutive seasons (four in all.) Twellman has always been a top striker for them, even though now he is oft-injured. We were Dempsey's stomping grounds as well before he left us for bigger and brighter pastures.

Current Talent: The Revs have a lot of talented young players. Kevin Alston could be the future at RB for the US National Team. He has sensational pace and a great attitude. Darrius Barnes is pretty good next to him as well. In front of them, Zack Schilawski is yet another nice get from our Wake Forest pipeline, and he has dynamic ability. If he had any help around him, he'd be a star. He has great feet and can strike it well. Sainey Nyassi, half of the Gambian combo, has been OK but has a very high ceiling down the road.

Basically, the Revs aren't great now but they have some young talent. I didn't even mention Steve Ralston who's a long-time stalwart with great passing touch. We have some young guys who could make international noise down the road in Alston, Barnes and Schilawski, so maybe keep an eye on them.

SiLo wrote:
Philadelphia Union

Famous Alumni:
(none)

Past: Expansion team for the 2010 season, the Philadelphia Union were announced in 2008. MLS awarded Philadelphia the team after the Sons of Ben, a support group, showed MLS that the aread had already established a fanbase for the sport. Named after the Thirteen Colonies, of which Philadelphia was the first capital. The play in PPL Park which was built for the Union on the banks of the Delaware River.

Current talent: The Union are led by Danny Califf who was regarded as one of the best central defenders in the league in his time with the LA Galaxy(00-04) but was then struck by injuries. Up front there lead by Sébastien Le Toux and Danny Mwanga who both have shown to be proven starters.

LeeEvans wrote:
San Jose Earthquakes

Famous Alumni: Landon Donovan, Eddie Lewis, Eric Wynalda, Dwayne De Rosario, and Brian Ching

Past: San Jose was one of the original teams in the MLS but moved to Houston in 2005 and became the Houston Dynamo and were just brought back into the MLS in 2008. San Jose won the MLS Cup in 2001 and 2003 and the MLS Supporters Shield in 2005. Manager Frank Yallop will look to bring San Jose back to it's glory days that featured Dwayne De Rosario, Brian Ching, and Landon Donovan.

Timbit wrote:
Seattle Sounders FC

Famous Alumni: The team's inaugural season in the MLS was only last year and the only notable player to have left the team is Sebastien Le Toux. However, Herculez Gomez and Brian Ching were members of the USL version of the team (who existed from 1994-2008)

Past: An expansion team that started play in 2009, the Sounders took the name and many of the fans of the USL Seattle Sounders (as well as a few players), who were dissolved when this team started play. An immediate success, the Sounders have shattered various attendance records, and are followed by a wide variety of fanatics, most notably the supporters group "Emerald City Supporters." A talented team, the Sounders haven't found too much success in their first two seasons of MLS play, but in 2009, they won the US Open Cup, and are currently in the semi-finals of this year's Cup. In both tournament runs, the Sounders defeated their heated rival the Portland Timbers, who, along with the Sounders and another rival the Vancouver Whitecaps, compete for the Cascadia Cup on a yearly basis.

Current talent: As mentioned above, although the teams isn't doing all that well in the MLS this year, they have a vast array of talented players. Captain and former starting goalie for the US team, Kasey Keller has had an up and down year, but is very well liked by almost all Sounders fans. Many other talented players are on the team, including former Arsenal star Freddie Ljungberg, a speedy midfielder Steve Zakuani, who was the number one pick in the 2009 MLS draft, midfield stalwart Osvaldo Alonso, Colombian international striker Fredy Montero and a regular with the Jamaican national team, Tyrone Marshall. Fresh off winning the Eredivisie and beating Spain in the World Cup, Blaise Nkufo will be joining the Sounders next week.

LeeEvans wrote:
Toronto FC

Famous Alumni: Maurice Edu, Danny Dichio, Amado Guevara, Carlos Ruiz.

Past: This team is new to the MLS and was introduced in 2006. The team was meant with open arms by their fans in the time they have been in the MLS and it is quite rare to find open seats at BMO Field and Toronto FC supporters are among the best in the MLS. They create a European like atmosphere for most of their clubs games. Toronto have had no success in the US Open Cup or in the league itself but looking to be heading in the right direction under current manager Preki(former US international).

Current Talent: Toronto is lead by two of the best Canadian players to date with Julian De Guzman and Dwayne De Rosario. De Guzman spent alot of time in Spain with Deportivo La Coruna and De Rosario is an MLS vet starring for Houston in the past. Toronto FC also recently signed Spanish forward Mista who has yet to play for the club. This signing should bring some goals which have been lacking ever since the formation of the club. The rest of the squad is capable squad players who support the stars on the team. Chad Barrett has been in good form as of late and Stephan Frei is the teams talented Swiss goalkeeper.

ryknowssd on the sig
Bird Watch: Brodrick Bunkley

Last edited by eaglesfan536890 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:00 pm; edited 7 times in total
Welsh Patriot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to get into the MLS also..I play soccer and watch alot of european games...I think i'll be supporting Toronto...hopefully we can get a good thread going Smile
Jeezy Fanatic

Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOREVER DC UNITED!!! Cool

chauboy wrote:
Then there was 1 group of girls that were just standing against of wall, the group being hot, just texting. Just intimidating.
eaglesfan536890

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else going to be watching the game tonight? Screw LeBron. Cool

ryknowssd on the sig
Bird Watch: Brodrick Bunkley
VikingsFan51

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll watch this after the Lebron show. I'm from LA, so I'm Galaxy all the way!

My favorite MLS player is Steve Zakuani for the Sounders though. That guy has potential.

^SiLo^
EliteTexan80 wrote:
You are the aweosmenst VIKINGS FAN!

YEAAAAH!
mler1019

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezy Fanatic wrote:

FOREVER DC UNITED!!! Cool

Amen

^sig props go to Salt&Pepper
Jeezy Fanatic

Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always confuses me how they show the home team on the right side of the score thing, it's usually the exact opposite.

chauboy wrote:
Then there was 1 group of girls that were just standing against of wall, the group being hot, just texting. Just intimidating.
Jawn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say, I was extremely unimpressed by the performance of both teams tonight. I didn't see the whole game, but from what I saw, one thing that really stuck out me was an inability to pull the trigger. Players looked like they were scared of shooting, and multiple times on both squads players simply passed the ball off (and usually lost possession) rather then taking the good look at goal.

LOTO.Tailback on the sig
LeeEvans

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only saw the last couple minutes of the game. Chicago has really disappointed me this season. We had an MLS thread back in the day but there was only like three regular posters back then. I think it was just shadow walker, Timbit, and I. Maybe I'll dig it back up.

The night is dark and full of terrors.
Welsh Patriot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would anybody be willing to do a little write up on some of the teams, letting people know the teams expectations, who their best international player is and who their best home grown player is (HG = Donovan INT = Beckham). I think this may attract new people, and maybe help them pick a team.
PackFanInCA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welsh Patriot wrote:
Would anybody be willing to do a little write up on some of the teams, letting people know the teams expectations, who their best international player is and who their best home grown player is (HG = Donovan INT = Beckham). I think this may attract new people, and maybe help them pick a team.

Im trying to get into MLS, but I know nothing about any of the teams. Who are the best players in the MLS?

Kal-El wrote:
I still believe, screw the fair-weather stuff.

You're not the only one!!!
Welsh Patriot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy) Forward/Midfield
David Beckham (LA Galaxy) Midfield
Edson Buddle (LA Galaxy) Forward
Shalrie Josheph (New England) Midfield
Luciano Emilo (DC United) Forward
Juan Pablo Angel (New York Red Bulls) Forward
Barros Schelotto (Columbus) Midfield
Cuauhtemoc Blanco (Chicago) Forward
Dwayne De Rosario (Toronto) Forward
Freddie Ljunberg (Seattle) Midfield/Forward

I'm sure somebody will offer more information than myself though Smile
LeeEvans

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do a couple quick little write ups in a bit. Any particular teams?

The night is dark and full of terrors.
rogertheplumber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have my tickets to see the Wizards get destroyed, I mean play, Man U. Or at least the Man U reserves Laughing

I used to go to a couple Wizard games a year, and when their new stadium is built I will probably look into going again. Just miss the days when we were really good.
ElReyDeLosReyes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I guess the Red Bulls made a video for the arrival of Thierry Henry?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa72BeDclSo

Guess it's going to be announce July 14th.

yankee0724 wrote:
My team is based heavily off of Mourinho at Madrid.
^ FC Barcelona Fan ^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Soccer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 1 of 100

Jump to: