Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Welcome and Introduction Thread for the Silver and Black
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HiFi

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Welcome and Introduction Thread for the Silver and Black Reply with quote

Welcome Raiders Fans!

First, please read over the forum rules and let's show folks here that Raiders fans know their football and can discuss it intelligently, rationally, and respectfully.

This thread has been created for new members (and old) to come and introduce themselves. Drop in and tell us a little about your 'Black Hole' loyalty. How long have you been a fan of the team? Who's your favorite player(s)? Etc.

As the new moderator for the Raiders' forum, let me introduce myself to kick this off. I'm nearing my mid-20s, and have a B.A. in English Education. I love to read and write, and you can catch some of my poetry attempts in forums throughout the board. I've been a Raiders fan since I can remember; I have a Raiders' bib from when I was just a baby, and as a very young boy I remember watching Bo getting injured and being devastated. Bo's my all-time favorite Raider, and currently I like Schweigert and Morrison.

So, let's hear from the rest of the true 'Silver and Black.' See you on the forums.

Last edited by HiFi on Sat May 06, 2006 3:06 am; edited 7 times in total
sanfranraidersfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
I have been a fan of the Greatest Team created since I was born, and I live in a place where everybody is a 49er fan- so it is pretty cool I became a raider fan...

i am really into sports in general, when i was 7 i was temporarily banned from watching the 6 am edition of sports center Laughing

anyways...
i have been a fan all 14 years of my life and i live on the sf peninsula-
so ya.
Go Raiders!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a fan since the '93 season. Specifically, the last game of the year against Denver. When the (LA) Raiders were down like 30-13 at the half, and ended up winning the game 36-33 in OT. Then they kicked the CRAP outta the Broncos the follwoing week in the wildcard game 42-24. Then, they lost in Buffalo. The first game of the following season ('94, 75th anniversary) against the 49ers (when Jerry Rice caught his record TD pass (I don't remember WHICH record, cause he has pretty much all of them.) and Napoleon McCallum blew out his knee. That season, the Gruden years aside, was the beginning of the end.
sanfranraidersfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

o ya, i will also add my favorite players--
past: rich gannon, tyrone wheatly (great story)

present: derrick burgess, kirk morrison

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My name is Mike I'm from Northwestern Ohio(too many Browns and Steelers fans around here) I've been a memeber of the Raider Nation since I was 8. I loved Bo Jackson I even liked the Royals back then. I was crushed when he hurt his hip. Even though he can't stay healthy and demands too much money I love Charles Woodson, I can't stand when people say he doesn't get picks therefore he stinks, he shuts WR's down and they don't throw his way enough. I also love Jerry Porter and think Fabian Washinton is going to be a stud. I think its time for Al to walk away he hurts us too often with his ego.
Juan00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much dislike most of the major Raider forums that are out there. There is too much junk to sort through and not enough quality takes. I detest people that consistently unleash poor takes. I hope I don't come off as an elitist, because I'm not, but with my lifestyle I just don't have the time to sort through junk takes. However, I do enjoy bantering about ideas and pontificating with other Raider fans on what moves the Raiders will be making in order to improve as a team.

This place, although the posters are not many, at least has quality Raider fans that dish out good takes. That's why I'm here. Hopefully, Mr. Hi-Fi can keep the idiots in check, because I'd hate for this place to get littered with dumb Raider fans.

Jim Otto, hence the double zero in my handle, but I have other favorites as well. I've been a Raider fan, and it's painful at times...lol, since I was a snot-nosed first grader. Now, I'm 31, so that tells you I've endured too many mediocre seasons now.
Verlagio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy all from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Became a raider fan when i was like 10, becuase all they used to show in this area were seahawks games and i hated the hawks. Fell in love with the raider history and players like Bo, Nick Bell (could have been special), Willie Gault, Kaufman, and Howie Long. At least i could see the Raiders play twice a year and on Monday night football back in the day (thank you Sunday Ticket!!!). My bro is a huge cheifs fan, so that also made for good times growing up. My fav raiders are Bo (remember the Bo and Barry show on MNF), Howie Long, Jerry Porter, Tim Brown.

I played QB here at the University of Calgary and won a National Championship in 1995, so i like to think i have some practical knowledge of this game having played at a high level. Now i coach High School teams and scout for the university. Thats all for now. Good to meet you all and let's PARTY!!! Raider Style!

Another BlockRaider Masterpiece!
MackDubbs19

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BJ from Syracuse NY. 23 years old. Non-hunter

Became a Raider fan right around 90-91 when Bo got hurt but was still owning people in Tecmo Super Bowl.

I pretty much agree with Juan in that I'd like to hear from the educated Raider fan rather than the "stereotypical ignorant Raider fan" that we somehow got associated with. Also, I am far from an elitist and can admit when I'm wrong. Lets have some fun Laughing
HiFi

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juan00 wrote:
Hopefully, Mr. Hi-Fi can keep the idiots in check, because I'd hate for this place to get littered with dumb Raider fans.

I'll definitely do my best to make this forum a great one. Feel free to PM me or make me aware of any issues that may arise here.

Thanks to those of you who have responded and introduced yourself. Keep it coming.
TexasRaider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody. Although I'm new to the forum I have been a Raiders fan for most of my 31 years. I became a Raiders fan when I meet Lester Hayes in the 3rd grade. I would have to say He's one of my favorite past Raiders. I remember playing football in the neighborhood and getting in the Lester Hayes stance across from the receiver. I grew up in Northern California (Sacramento), where I had the privilege of seeing at least one Raiders game a year since they moved back in 1996. I was also able to see the Raiders when they played at the Los Angeles Coliseum.

I've recently relocated to Austin, TX, (hence the TexasRaider name) where I look forward to flaunting my Raiders gear and expanding the Raider Nation. I really enjoy the forum and everyone's educated opinions, and look forward to contributing to the intriguing topics.
sanfranraidersfan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verlagio wrote:

I played QB here at the University of Calgary and won a National Championship in 1995, so i like to think i have some practical knowledge of this game having played at a high level. Now i coach High School teams and scout for the university. Thats all for now. Good to meet you all and let's PARTY!!! Raider Style!

thats hella cool, some of my family is from BC, and I didnt think they had football in Universities and high schools in canada... do they only have it in calgary?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 35, live in Iowa, and I've been a Raider fan ever since I can remember. Some of my favorite memories are of Ray Guy filling in as QB (yep, he did it, and well I might add), Lyle Alzado and John Matuszak crushing the opposing QB, Kenny King running all over the Eagles after - Vermeil elected to kick off in SB XV(what was he thinking?), Rod Martin's 3 INT in SB XV, the Raiders DESTROYING the Redskins in SB XVIII, Marcus Allen's SB run (truly a thing of beauty), Marcus Allen throwing for TD's, I could go on for days.

Least fav memory has got to be when the OAKLAND Raiders moved to LA. I was crushed. Never mind the fact that I have always lived in Iowa. Dammit, it's the freakin' OAKLAND Raiders. NOT LA Raiders. Other worst memories include Napoleon McCallum (sp?) blowing out a knee on opening day against SF. Tony "Fat [inappropriate/removed]" Sirgusa falling on Rich Gannon, the "Tuck Rule", and the hiring of Mike White, Joe Bugel, Bill Callahan, and Norv Turner.

Favorite players: Jack Tatum, Ted Hendricks, Marcus Allen, Jim Plunkett, and Tim Brown. Favorite coach is Tom Flores.
Juan00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Least fav memory has got to be when the OAKLAND Raiders moved to LA. I was crushed. Never mind the fact that I have always lived in Iowa. Dammit, it's the freakin' OAKLAND Raiders. NOT LA Raiders. Other worst memories include Napoleon McCallum (sp?) blowing out a knee on opening day against SF. Tony "Fat -" Sirgusa falling on Rich Gannon, the "Tuck Rule", and the hiring of Mike White, Joe Bugel, Bill Callahan, and Norv Turner.

You hit the nail on the head. I was a real youngster when the Raiders moved to LA and I cried the day I found out because I though my Raiders were moving to another world (at least in my eyes, heck, I didn't have a good grasp of the concept of distance back then). Btw, that Napolean Mcallum indcident was brutal to behold and it made it worse that freakin Jerry Rice set one of his patented records that day against the Raiders.
Verlagio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Verlagio wrote:

thats hella cool, some of my family is from BC, and I didnt think they had football in Universities and high schools in canada... do they only have it in calgary?

No, there's football in Canada across the board. Has been for as long as i can go back. Here's a small sports fact for you, the CFL roots go back farther than the NFL. THe Grey Cup (the CFL equivalent of the Super Bowl) was first played in 1909.

In fact, in this years East-West Shrine bowl, there was a defensive end in the game from the University of Calgary. Info is here - http://www.godinos.com/news.aspx?id=435

There are plenty of Canadians who played college in Canada and who get tryouts with NFL teams. One of the receivers i played with was a late cut by the Bears in 96.

That's my historical-cultural lesson for today. Next class we will discuss the Softwood Lumber trade and how it is causing strain in the Canadian-US relationship.

Another BlockRaider Masterpiece!
sanfranraidersfan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verlagio wrote:
Quote:
Verlagio wrote:

No, there's football in Canada across the board. Has been for as long as i can go back. Here's a small sports fact for you, the CFL roots go back farther than the NFL. THe Grey Cup (the CFL equivalent of the Super Bowl) was first played in 1909.

In fact, in this years East-West Shrine bowl, there was a defensive end in the game from the University of Calgary. Info is here - http://www.godinos.com/news.aspx?id=435

There are plenty of Canadians who played college in Canada and who get tryouts with NFL teams. One of the receivers i played with was a late cut by the Bears in 96.

That's my historical-cultural lesson for today. Next class we will discuss the Softwood Lumber trade and how it is causing strain in the Canadian-US relationship.

thats cool, i have always wanted to learn about the softwood lumber trade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: