Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Moving without having a job
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluesafety42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Moving without having a job Reply with quote

Think it's terrible idea? Looking to get into more biological and genetic research/work areas and Iowa just doesn't seem like the place to do it and getting a job in North Carolina or California or somewhere else where it's a more in-demand field is just rough being so far away. So what's your guys take on moving without a job lined up? Ever done it? Any tips would be great!

Thanks fellas!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you have something lined up. Most places won't rent to you unless you have a job or have some sort of income coming in. Unless your gonna live with a friend.

Fearsome Fronts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well choose a destination and then look actively for jobs in said area online and through the phone. Finding a job is a job in itself, you gotta wake up early and "work" 8-3 to find a job.

I do not know if you are a student, graduated, or anything else but unless you have someone to help you the first and last month or something like that, it'll be pretty tough to move jobless. Don't know how much is in your saving lol Unless you want to take a loan out:/

I guess if you really wanted to and had a passion in your field, you could choose a city, call a tempt agency to get a job and a start in the city, then actively pursue the job you want in your free time.
[UMN]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a job first.

If you don't mind moving you have the whole country to look for a job which makes it so much easier. Nothing would be worse than moving across the country and then getting hired somewhere else.

Depending on what sort of job you are getting most companies will give you a hiring/relocation bonus.

Also as mentioned, you can't get an apartment without a job.

What is the benefit of moving before you have a job? Why even consider it?
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult, but not impossible.

Honestly, I don't know much about how the job market works for bio/genetics research sort of work, but I will say that I moved from New York to DC without a job lined up and ended up okay. Once I decided I wanted to work in politics I started applying while still working up in New York but the way that the job market operates here in DC made that mostly useless - you have to be here meeting and talking to people with your ear to the ground because things move too quickly. And your resume probably isn't being read if you're just applying to general applicant pools, at least for the kinds of jobs I was looking for.

If you have enough savings to get by for a couple of months, you have part of what you need to make it work. Housing would be the biggest logistical challenge moving to a new place - I was lucky in that regard as my girlfriend already lives and works here so I didn't have to be approved for a lease on my own. You would probably have to start out subletting while you look for a job and wouldn't be able to sign a lease until you had that job lined up. But if you have money saved up, you can theoretically get to the startup money needed to at least make the move.

For me, I don't regret at all deciding to move here - I was definitely counseled by a lot of people against moving to a new city without a job lined up but as soon as I got here I started talking to anyone I had any sort of network connection with and I had enough saved up that I could get by for a couple of months doing an internship/apprenticeship type of gig (because everyone starts out in DC as an intern) with my only source of income being the fairly meager stipend I received for that work. So I was using my income from my previous job to subsidize the time I was putting in at the bottom of the barrel in DC. You gotta work your way up from the bottom sometimes. But after doing that for a couple of months, I was recently hired full-time to work on the communications and research side of a political advocacy project, and so as opposed to working in Big Law in NYC, which I hated, I'm now on the career path I want to be on. I took a risk leaving a job that paid well to start over in a new city but it feels like it paid off.

I guess the question is, do you have any sort of a network in CA or NC? People you want to college with, friends of family connected to your industry, things like that? It would be very difficult to move somewhere without having any sort of network or connections that could lead to introductions to employers.

If you're passionate about what you want to do and see a viable path towards getting involved in that area, then it's not a bad idea to move. If you think you can't accomplish that where you are, then it's not a bad idea to move. But you need more than just a hunch - you need to have a plan. A budget. Ideally some sort of support system, in terms of people you can connect with during your move. I think in some respects I had some advantages with my girlfriend already being here and having a lot of friends (as well as my girlfriend's parents, both of whom work here in DC) who helped get me in touch with the people I needed to talk to in order to get my career started down here. So I don't think it's impossible - but you need to have a clear idea of what your path towards getting that job and life is, not just a hope and a prayer and the vague hope that living in CA or NC can get you the job you want. You don't have to have all of the answers just yet - you just have to know that you're going to run into challenges along the way, that it won't be smooth sailing. If you want to accomplish certain things and believe that those are the places you need to be to accomplish that, then maybe it's worth the risk - the safest option isn't always the best one. If you're smart, motivated, and hardworking, then you should be able to find a way to make it work.

Last edited by BaltimoreTerp on Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes down to this. If you really want to achieve your lifes goals you have to take a risk. If you really want to live in the city you're moving to- sometimes you gotta jump into the water without testing the temperature.

If you're meh on moving to that city, i'd prob find a job first.

(i.e. some people have childhood dreams of moving to NYC)
biggio7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved two hours from home without having a steady job. I moved for a better opportunity at landing a teaching job. I was planning to sub in four different school districts where I am now. My Dad did have to co-sign on my lease for the apartment so you will probably have to have someone do that for you too. Luckily the cheapest place I found was also the best one. Just look for the best deals, not online, but when you actually look around for one. You could do it. I don't have much money to spend but I'm hoping to land a full time job down here.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what you wrote Terp, I get what you're saying. And no, it would really be a crap shoot in terms of connections. I know like one person in each, maybe. But on the planning, I fully understand. This isn't just on a whim type idea. It's probably an easy 6 months to a year of saving up ($20,000 is the goal before I go jobless) down the road. In about 4 months is when I'll probably start looking for opportunities

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluesafety42 wrote:
I like what you wrote Terp, I get what you're saying. And no, it would really be a crap shoot in terms of connections. I know like one person in each, maybe. But on the planning, I fully understand. This isn't just on a whim type idea. It's probably an easy 6 months to a year of saving up ($20,000 is the goal before I go jobless) down the road. In about 4 months is when I'll probably start looking for opportunities

If you're not dead set on location, don't limit yourself to those two states either.

Places out east and in texas would be other places to look in that industry.

El Ramster on the amazing work
marktheshark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved to NYC without a job...It's been done before yet the failure rate it much higher, it comes down to the support system you have in place and how strong your strong foundation is.

Do yourself a big favor and read the 10x Rule by Grant Cardone now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the job prospects are better in those places, as you say they are, why don't you line up some interviews and fly out there for a week? If you can't line up an interview now, what makes you think the job prospects will get better once you move there?

I've had a few co-workers leave that way. They go on "vacation", and come back with a two week notice. Now we're skeptical anytime anyone goes on "vacation". Laughing

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No income, no connections, no family/friends, seems like a recipe for misery to me.

Can't really see any reason to just up and move in this day and age. Internet is your friend. If you know the job market for your particular field is in demand in those areas, seems quite likely that countless others do as well.

And, also consider how far your money will go, assuming you have saved. I live in Iowa. I know the cost of living here is far and away less than California and Carolinas. It's just more expensive on the coasts. Always has been, always will be.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Phire

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apply to jobs first... and definitely have one lined up.
I'd love to just say "Yeah bro! Spread your wings and glide with the wind, do whatever you want! It's your life!"

But I won't do that to you, because you'd be jeopardizing financial trauma. You need an income.

theuntouchable wrote:
Think about this phire. I am the real chow.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Danish proverb 3:69
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldnt recommend it unless you are single, have few bills and have somewhere to stay for free and long term (at least a year).

I did it. Didnt work out. Luckily I got an offer back where I started. But it was without a doubt the most stressful 10 months of my life.

CK on the sig
Dogfeet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved to San Diego with no job, it is one of the higher cost of living cities in the us. I did it because my 2 best friends from childhood lived out here. I could have moved back with my parents too if it didnt work out. I wouldnt personally do it without the support I had, unless I had big savings, but I would never tell someone not to do it if they want to.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: