Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What would you do: School vs Work?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: What would you do: School vs Work? Reply with quote

Last April, my Grandad died and left my parents with enough money to send me back to school and extent my Bachelor's Degree in Accounting so I will hopefully be able to sit for the CPA Exam in the Winter of 2014/2015.

I currently have a job working 40 hrs a week that pays me enough to cover rent for a month with 40% my months pay if I decided to move out of the house(I still live with my parents, despite the fact I'm 23)

I am only allowed to accept this gracious offer my parents/grandad if I were to stay at home and not work a part-time job per my parents rules on the "deal"If I were to accept I would probably be at my parents house studying for the exam(5 hrs a day so I'm told) until I pass all 4 parts so probably Spring 2016

I have been in a serious relationship with my girlfriend for almost a year and half now and I do believe that we will someday get married so I am anxious to get out of the house and have my own place so I can start moving towards these next steps, but if I go back to school and pass the CPA Exam it can open doors for me that weren't available before, I'd make at least double the money right from the start too doing something that I have enjoyed when i volunteered in school. I have the full support of my girlfriend in this and she isn't pressuring me into anything

What would you do in my situation?

A. Go back to school, stay at home under my parents rules and prolong "Adulthood" for a chance at a much better future

or

B. Stay at my current job that has no real chance of advancement and probably move out within the next 6 months, call my own shots but be somewhat limited financially

Seems obvious but I'm curious what FF Nation thinks, I already made my decision to go back to school, but like I said I'm curious

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lived with you parents for 20+ years... you can handle 4(?) more.

Future is important, brah.

Tracker: 10 receptions, 77 yards, 0 TD
Fearsome Fronts

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy money stay with the roommates (what I call mine) and schooling. Trust me, I'm on my own now and paying my rent plus car note plus utilities on 40K is not the best thing in the world. You'd be a fool to choose otherwise IMO.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay with your parents, and put everything you can into school. Get it over with as fast as you can, and then worry about a job. You'll start making more with the degree than you will just working at a nothing job. It's only for a year or two anyways.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you weren't sure you really wanted to go back to school and were just considering it because you could Id say stick with what your doing. But it seems like you really want to so you should.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
If you weren't sure you really wanted to go back to school and were just considering it because you could Id say stick with what your doing. But it seems like you really want to so you should.

Even if I dont stick in the accounting field for terribly long, to be a licensed CPA would still open a ton of door in a lot of different business-related positions too

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to school. Those years and that degree will help you and your potential family out more than if you did the opposite.

PM sig requests.
PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way you worded the two options make me think you're heavily leaning on staying with your parents and going back to school. And I would agree with that decision. I'm assuming your girlfriend will support you either way? Her input is more important than ours.

Mack on the sig
Dolphin Dude

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go back to school and ace that exam brah, especially to better your earnings and job opportunities

You and your girl have been going out for long so you know she's in it for the long haul, and if she really loved you she'd support you 100% so you can help better yourself and give you opportunities for the future

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me, do the school thing.

#JDI
#EmbraceTheH8
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is right. Check in with the girl and ask her opinion, but I don't see a reason why she wouldn't agree with you. If she doesn't that's a separate issue Laughing

You'll be happy in the long run if you go back to school

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
marktheshark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often do you shop at Walmart? Series question.

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

School + more money in the future

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

School without a doubt.

Everything you say you want begins with school. Want to be in that field? School. Want to get married and provide a better life for your wife/future family? School.

Easy decision. Short term sacrifice for long-term gain.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to school bro. Accounting is a really good career field to go into. I am pursuing my CPA also. You can do a lot with a CPA and it is a fun field to get involved with. Right now at my job my manager is letting me do there books and I am getting paid more just for my first two years of studies. Go to school brother.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: