Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Official Cartoons thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thrILL!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: The Official Cartoons thread Reply with quote

I know there a lot of fans of cartoons on this board. Many times I've wanted to post on cartoons but didn't want to start new threads for each slice of cartoon news or to talk about such and such episodes.

This way we can have a general thread about all of our favorites.

From

to

to

to

to

to

and so on....

If there aren't separate threads for The Simpsons or Family Guy, then they're fair game as well. Also, direct to DVD/blu-ray movies and anime are bonafide sources too.

-What are you currently enjoying? New or old?
-What are your favorites?
-What are some under the radar cartoons you'd recommend?
-What say you?

on the Ravens drafting CJ Mosley:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan. Just another future failed Alabama product.

#EGR
thrILL!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show that I've become really excited about recently is Sym-Bionic Titan. Considering how much I love Genndy Tartakovsky's work on Samurai Jack and Star Wars: Clone Wars, I'm shocked that I wasn't aware of this until last month. The series is from 2011 and only lasted 1 season before CN pulled the plug. I've only seen 5 episodes but I'm hooked and obsessed and will find every ep in HD before I'm done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sym-Bionic_Titan

Quote:
Billed as "an exciting hybrid of high school drama and giant robot battles", Sym-Bionic Titan features "the adventures of three beings from the planet Galaluna who crash-land on Earth while attempting to escape their war-torn world." The series follows the lives of Ilana, Lance, and Octus, two alien teens and a robot in the form of humanoids who arrive on Earth, an "identical" planet to Galaluna, while fleeing an evil general who has taken over their home planet with the help of monstrous creatures called Mutraddi.

The three main characters include Ilana, princess of the royal family; Lance, a rebellious but capable soldier; and Octus, a bio-cybernetic robot, all of whom must now blend into everyday life in Sherman, Illinois. Posing as high school students, Lance and Octus work to conceal Princess Ilana from General Modula and his hideous space mutants sent to kill the sole heir of Galaluna. When called into battle, the Galalunans are outfitted with individual armor that provides more than ample protection. It is when the gravest of danger appears that Octus activates the sym-bionic defense program and he, Ilana, and Lance unite "Heart, Body and Mind" and come together to form the spectacular cyber-giant Sym-Bionic Titan.

http://youtu.be/akqpaZAwgHQ

The show borrows elements from other series such as Voltron and Robotech, but with better animation, great music and some gorgeous colors. This clip isn't in HD but the series thankfully is and airs on Cartoon Network every sunday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F60SIralWks

Sometimes the episodes flash back to their home planet Galaluna and what transpired before they fled to to Earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nQLiq3PkG8

What really surprised me about the show was how well the high school drama was written. I read online how Tartakovsky's biggest influence for this portion of the show came from John Hughes' films like The Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller's Day Off. That is a huge incentive for a Hughes fan like myself. My only gripe with the show is Brian Posehn as the voice of Octus. He's so annoyingly bland but considering Octus is a robot, I guess is sort of, kind of makes sense.

Not to mention a gorgeous cheerleader who would rather dance than study...

Wink

Anybody else a fan of the show?

on the Ravens drafting CJ Mosley:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan. Just another future failed Alabama product.

#EGR
rabbisson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that show before at 3 AM on Cartoon Network. It's not bad, but I've never been a fan of mech battles. The art style definitely caught my eye, though.

I haven't been watching a ton of TV lately (more reading books) but Adventure Time and Regular Show are always great.

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man I love Sym-Bionic Titan. Tartakovsky always has great shows but they never ever ever get to the finish point. Shame it only got one season, seemed like it was really getting it's feet under it during the tail end of season 1.

I think it might get brought back (same with the new Thundercats which is also surprisingly good) because of the toonami following, hopefully it pulls in decent enough ratings to get it done. Though CN pulled both shows due to a lack of toy revenue and not ratings problems. Sym-Bionic never even got a single toy MADE, let alone had the potential to make any money from it. So I think the CN logic was also just to screw over Tartakovsky because he left to work on other projects and Turner likes people to stay and finish their work.

In other, slightly related Giant Mech show news, the creator of Megas XLR is in serious talks with Turner about resurrecting the show, which is amazing.

For those that have never seen Megas XLR, it's basically Gurren Lagaan for stoners. It's sharp, quick witted, the dialogue is hysterical and oh yeah, it's got giant robots who punch each other. One is actually a car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSfR7m8Tqzs

A show I'm actually digging right now a lot more than I thought I would is the new Scooby Doo show, it's surprisingly... smart. It's got pop culture references everywhere, H.P. Lovecraft and Harlan Ellison as actual characters, with Ellison actually voicing himself. The dynamic between the group is great and it's actually pretty adult, dealing with themes like abandonment, failure, the death of a dream, losing your high school friends as you transition into adulthood.

Only about 2 episodes into the second season but it's REALLY fun.

Adopt a Bill: WR, Robert Woods 5 rec, 86 Yards, 1 TD's
Adopt a Bill: DE/OLB, Mario Williams 8 TKLS, 4.5 Sacks, 4.5 TFL
Acgott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My childhood in no order

tinoynk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words: SWAT Kats

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as Anime goes, I'v been watching the new show Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman, which is basically Robin Hood in the Bakumatsu era and if you're an experienced or even anime/manga novice, it's Lupin the Third in Bakumatsu. Complete with Inspector Zenigata.

And what's not to love about more Lupin the Third (though it's not called Lupin)?

titansNvolsR#1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished Ultimate Spider-Man and halfway through season 2 of Earth's Mightiest Avengers.

I hate that Disney/Marvel makes these seemingly popular animated series only to cancel them for a reboot 2 seasons later.
SiLo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got into Anime early, so cartoons bore me.

Bird Watch: Brandon Boykin
27 TACKLES 0 SACK 1 FF 2 INT
PantherDE90

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiLo wrote:

Aren't they basically the same thing

"There are many things given to us in this life for the wrong reasons. What we do with such blessings, that is the true test of a man." - Gannicus
PantherDE90

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acgott wrote:
My childhood in no order

^^^^This man knows

"There are many things given to us in this life for the wrong reasons. What we do with such blessings, that is the true test of a man." - Gannicus
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respect the classics.
SiLo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PantherDE90 wrote:
SiLo wrote:

Cartoons don't follow the plot at all times. Most episodes have nothing to do with each other. Animes follow a story, so if you miss one episode you miss something.

Cartoon format:

Ep1: Plot
Ep2: Random Quest
Ep3: Random villian
Ep4: Cast goes shopping
Ep5: plot countines
Ep6-8: Random
Ep9: plot...
100+ Eps to get the plot

Anime:

Ep1-25: Plot and end.

Some Anime has done this, and those random episodes are called fillers. But even then most episodes advance the plot. Most Anime follow a manga which blows comics away as far as detail of storyline go.

They are different beast imo. Anime is like game of thrones while Cartoons are Friends.

Bird Watch: Brandon Boykin
27 TACKLES 0 SACK 1 FF 2 INT
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of cartoons that follow the same narrative structure as many anime.

The one thrILL posted follows the same format most anime does, the same format that most shows do. Each episode could stand alone yet each also expanded and moved forward on the "meta" or overarching plot arc. Shows like Adventure Time. Hell there are shows like Avatar that follow a stringent plot narrative to the T.

I'v been watching anime for a long time, and a lot of anime is a series of one off episodes that tie into character development but not necessarily the central plot except in tertiary ways.

PantherDE90

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiLo wrote:
PantherDE90 wrote:
SiLo wrote:

Cartoons don't follow the plot at all times. Most episodes have nothing to do with each other. Animes follow a story, so if you miss one episode you miss something.

Cartoon format:

Ep1: Plot
Ep2: Random Quest
Ep3: Random villian
Ep4: Cast goes shopping
Ep5: plot countines
Ep6-8: Random
Ep9: plot...
100+ Eps to get the plot

Anime:

Ep1-25: Plot and end.

Some Anime has done this, and those random episodes are called fillers. But even then most episodes advance the plot. Most Anime follow a manga which blows comics away as far as detail of storyline go.

They are different beast imo. Anime is like game of thrones while Cartoons are Friends.

I like both so the format doesn't really bother me.

When it comes to anime though

>>>>>>All

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: