You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Trade?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gojets

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Trade? Reply with quote

Jets fan here. I have heard a few trade rumors about the Jets sending John Abraham to the Chargers for Philip Rivers. It works out nice for both teams, for the Chargers Rivers will only warm the bench and cost alot of money to just stand there and he will start to cause problems real soon, and for the Jets they need a starting QB because Pennington may never be back to full health. And Abe works nicely for the chargers because he can play OLB in a 3-4, opposite "Lights out" they would make a scary combo going for the QB, and according to stats Foley has been a disappointment this year recording only 4.5 sacks, and the Jets can't afford Abe next year.

Let me know if you would like this trade
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strait up I wouldn't do that.

With Bree's future in doubt, you can never have to many good QBs.

Plus we already have our future OLB to oppose Merriman, Philips is very impressive and will most likely split time with Foley until he eventually takes over.

Plus, if you franchise Abrham, I think it is required to compensate you with value of 2 first round picks. I really don't think we would do that. I also question his character when he at out a few games so he didn't further injure himself. AJ doesn't like guys like that.
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. We've already discussed this and Abraham doesn't fit in. I think Foley is a better 3-4 OLB than John Abraham would be.
Gojets

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonioGates wrote:
Strait up I wouldn't do that.

With Bree's future in doubt, you can never have to many good QBs.

Plus we already have our future OLB to oppose Merriman, Philips is very impressive and will most likely split time with Foley until he eventually takes over.

Plus, if you franchise Abrham, I think it is required to compensate you with value of 2 first round picks. I really don't think we would do that. I also question his character when he at out a few games so he didn't further injure himself. AJ doesn't like guys like that.

Ok thanks for your comment. Just to let you know Brees' injury is something that you can fully recover from quickly (from what I've heard). I didn't know about Philips, thanks for pointing him out. And also just to let you know Abe has a better character than the media has given him. HE was injured last year and that is why he didn't play in the playoffs, it was a case of the media talking about what they didn't know.
PowderBlueBlood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, theres no way. we are deep at LB. I think Phillips, with his speed, will turn into a great OLB coming up through our system. If we trade it will be for an O-Lineman or DB. I know rivers looks really good to you jets fans right now but thats wishful thinking. How about Cutler...Enjoy.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay Cutler Laughing I sence the second coming of Kyle Boller. Huge arm skyrocketing there draft stock. Laughing
golf333333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't do that either if I were the Chargers, Rivers is a beast, I'd only do it if there was another pick or so and possibly a good player. Maybe the Jets should give the Falcons a call, talk about Matt Schaub.
theone8082

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont need an OLB/DE. Safety or DB please
Lowe_51

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about this for a trade with the jets...

philip rivers and our 2nd round pick (51st overall i think) for the jets #1 (4th overall) and a 2007 3rd round pick.

seems like fair value to me, correct me if i'm wrong.
i would love to see the chargers get d'brick at #4 and lock down the left tackle spot for the next 12-15 years. he's the real deal. move oben to the right side and slide olivea to guard, then with goff and hardwick and that's a big time upgrade from the 2005 o-line.
then hopefully ko simpson or another solid safety is there at 19 and we have our 2 biggest needs addressed in the first round. brees will be fine, we need to get what we can for rivers now.
CorpuscolAwesom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with that trade is that the Jets just invested a lot of money in to Pennington and would be in the same situation as the Chargers are now with two high-priced QBs. Pennington's future is still doubtful, but the Jets sinking that much money in to Pennington seems to indicate that they believe he can be their guy for the time being.

That said, I'm still not sure how I feel about a Rivers trade. Before week 17 of the season I was all for it, but now I think we should wait until we know with absolute certainty that Brees is going to return to form. All signs are good so far, but it would be devastating for the franchise if we trade Rivers and then Brees doesn't recover. Better safe than sorry, at least in this case.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think San Diego is going to have both QBs for next year, as long as Marty is here Brees will be here, and if Marty leaves I think AJ will turn it over to Rivers that is why he was drafted. OF course no one expected Brees to be a pro bowl QB.
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope we don't transition tag brees, at least give him a long term deal if we're gonna sign him.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: