Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

J.J. Watt is worthy of the #1 overall pick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't consider him worthy of a 1st round pick this year. He's got some raw speed and decent footwork for his size and position, but on film he looks like a 2-3rd round prospect to me.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a impressive work out for such a big dude, but if you did not have him going in the top 10 before its LOL to do so now.

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles
Macgregor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP wrote:
I wouldn't consider him worthy of a 1st round pick this year. He's got some raw speed and decent footwork for his size and position, but on film he looks like a 2-3rd round prospect to me.

You don't think this guy, with his production, size/speed/strength and the fact that he's only a junior, isn't worth a first round pick?
NFLdraftGURU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime you say someone is worth the number one pick and then only back it up with combine numbers, the only appropriate reaction is laughter and the dismissal of such a ludicrous and uneducated opinion.
Buckrock101

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFLdraftGURU wrote:
Anytime you say someone is worth the number one pick and then only back it up with combine numbers, the only appropriate reaction is laughter and the dismissal of such a ludicrous and uneducated opinion.

Yup. I need to see something from Watt on the field before I say he's worthy of a such a pick.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP wrote:

OK, I'm officially convinced that you haven't ever seen him play. He was very disruptive against some of the Big 10's top O-Lineman.

Adopt A Titan

Alterraun Verner and Scott Solomon
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
I questioned his athleticism. I though he was possibly going to have to move inside. Now I get what you are saying here, but the fact is he has proven the one knock against him wrong. I had him as a guy who if he proved athleticism to me was always going to be in the top 10. He did just that, not only did he do that he posted ELITE athletic numbers at the combine.

I just want to make sure I am getting this right, when you watched a guy ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD, you questioned his athleticism but because he did well on a track at the combine, you no longer question it? Vernon Gholston also posted elite athletic numbers at the combine and it didn't translate to the football field. Not comparing Watt to Gholston, just making a point.

Quote:
And what is so special about Fairley, he uses his hands well, he shoots gaps really well, but he is a one dimensional player that is going to struggle a bit vs the run in the NFL and is going to be a very inconsistent producer in terms of game to game consistnecy.

I think his ceiling is Darnell Dockett, and he is a really good player, but he is not the kind of player you can build a defense around, he is a guy who can be a #2 or #3 guy on a defense that really helps a team.

I laugh at the comparisons to Warren Sapp, who was far more explosive, far more powerful, had a far better technique, and actually played the run laterally along the line rather that attacking hole and then making plays.

Fairley is my #3 DT prospect in this draft.

What's so special about Fairley? I'd say what's special about him is his ability to anchor vs. the run or shoot the gap, penetrate and blow up plays in the backfield. My Gamecocks had to play Auburn twice and I can tell you that Fairley was the absolute key to that defense. The guy could anchor and stuff the run or he could beat single teams and double teams with his ability to penetrate. He is a guy you can build a defense around and he's an absolute headache because he doesn't have a weakness in his game OTHER THAN his over-aggressiveness which can get him in trouble with penalties and sometimes get him out of position. The scary thing is that he only got better as the year went on. Saying Fairley can't stop the run makes me question how much you saw him.

Quote:
Lack of edge burst. Really. I guess his burst is not among those elite explosive guys, but then again neither is Trent Cole, Jared Allen or Justin Tuck, and you are not going to see any of those guys fall past 5 or 6 among the NFL's best defensive ends.

All 3 of those guys have really good burst off the edge, Watt doesn't.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
brownie man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP wrote:

If you watch that Wisconsin TCU game and grade Watt as a 3rd pounder you should stop while your ahead
BP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen him. He might be worth a 1st to a team that wouldn't have to invest much money in him. He might develop more as a football player, in fact he presumably will since he's going professional where there are a lot of great coaches. But as far as what he offers, I think he's a solid 2nd rounder, maybe a late first. #1 overall? I just don't see it. Then again, I haven't seen much of JJ Watt, just enough to grade him as less than someone I'd pay big money for off a rookie contract.
BP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
khodder wrote:
I questioned his athleticism. I though he was possibly going to have to move inside. Now I get what you are saying here, but the fact is he has proven the one knock against him wrong. I had him as a guy who if he proved athleticism to me was always going to be in the top 10. He did just that, not only did he do that he posted ELITE athletic numbers at the combine.

I just want to make sure I am getting this right, when you watched a guy ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD, you questioned his athleticism but because he did well on a track at the combine, you no longer question it? Vernon Gholston also posted elite athletic numbers at the combine and it didn't translate to the football field. Not comparing Watt to Gholston, just making a point.

Valid point and I agree.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - Watt is recorded with a 1.64 10 yard split. Pretty damn good for a guy his size!
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
khodder wrote:

Not so much questioned, but rather wondered. And my wondering's were solved when he posted such explosive numbers in important drills.

I watched him, I saw a guy that used his hands really well, was versatile, had a really nice bull rush, was incredibly quick off the snap and had enough about him to be a good edge rusher. I wondered what kind of numbers he was going to post. I wondered if he was going to confirm my thoughts on his athleticism or prove me wrong. He did the latter, and he moved up my board with the disappointment of a few prospects and the overall caliber of his game.

Would I take him #1 overall, no, not at all. If I needed an End for a 43 defense to play the strongside, if I needed a 3 tech UT inside of a 43 defense or if I needed a 5 Tech on the outside of a 34 I would consider Watt starting from about the 4th or 5th pick in the draft.

And it was not like it was "on a track" it was the quick movements the reactions, the explosion, the stop-start ability, the timing was not the great thing, though putting up those times is great. It was seeing him display an ELITE athleticism that would have had him as a top 10 pick before the combine if he was not given the stigma of unathletic, "worker".

Finally, Gholston failed becasue despite his straight line speed and strength, he had no agility, he could not bend well, was lacking technique and did not work hard.

Watt is about the opposite. Hard Worker, Good Hand Use, Technique is great for a guy with only two years of play on the DL.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
IR0NM1KE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought I was high on Watt. I don't think he is a deserving of a no1 selection... But I certainly think he has top 20 talent.
johnmpasq

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GAmfFFAzAM

JJ Watt Vid I just put up vs TCU Rose Bowl
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnmpasq wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GAmfFFAzAM

JJ Watt Vid I just put up vs TCU Rose Bowl

Thanks man. I think this reinforced what I was saying earlier. Watt doesn't have the edge speed or burst necessary to be a big time sacker. Cannon pretty well shut him down. There were 2 plays, Watt beat him with a great spin move on 1 and got held, on the other, Cannon moved back to far and Watt beat him inside but Cannon recovered and drove him out. Still, Watt simply wasn't able to get the edge or pressure the edge on Cannon.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: