You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Magic the Gathering.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive always wondered what the point is to the card games. How do you play? Whats the strategy? What game can you compare it to that I would know?

Tony Romos Last pass was a TD against the EAGLES!
The Gnat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Ive always wondered what the point is to the card games. How do you play? Whats the strategy? What game can you compare it to that I would know?

I'm curious about that as well. I doubt I'm going to get into it, don't have the money to put into it from the looks of it, but I'm curious.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

I'm curious about that as well. I doubt I'm going to get into it, don't have the money to put into it from the looks of it, but I'm curious.

Agreed, not something I would invest time or money into, but it would be nice to know why other do.

skywindO2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's game that involves a lot of strategy. It's fun and there's quite a social aspect too it. I really don't see the investment in Magic cards any different from the investment in video games.

I think some of the players that invest a lot into the game are drawn into it by the allure of the professional Magic scene, which, believe it or not, actually exists. Pro-Tours and Grand Prix and other major tournaments have some decent prize pay outs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:

To severely oversimplify it, you make decks of at least 60 cards. There are different purposes to the cards. In general there are land cards, creature cards, and spell cards. Land cards allow you to cast the spells and creatures. Each player starts with 20 life and the goal is to get your opponent(s) down to 0 by attacking them with your creatures. Spells are used for various effects--they can deal damage to players or creatures, they can make your creatures more powerful, they can get rid of your opponents' creatures, they can gain you life, they can cancel other spells that your opponents are trying to cast--the possibilities are nearly endless. Some decks don't even use creatures and instead rely on spells that deal damage to opponents.

The problem is that it's expensive to build good decks, especially if you're starting against players who already have a big collection going. I've gotten bored of it because it just got to a point where every game seemed to follow the same pattern because I wasn't buying new cards every other day and thus wasn't building new decks--so the ones I had got stale. Oh, and because my friend build an extremely annoying counter deck that he would always use against me. For those who don't play the game, playing against a counter deck basically entails your opponent cancelling everything you try to do. He'd just counter all of my attempts at playing cards until I got a nice big creature, at which point he would let me play it and then steal it and use it against me. It's about the most frustrating thing ever and nearly singlehandedly killed the game for me.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they create new characters/land/spells to counter act whats already out there so you have to keep buying new stuff?

How do you keep track fo who is 'winning', your life, spells and what not?

skywindO2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
So they create new characters/land/spells to counter act whats already out there so you have to keep buying new stuff?

Note quite.

There are various competitive formats, the two most popular being Standard and Legacy. Standard decks can include only cards printed(or reprinted) in the last two years of the game. They release new cards 4 times a year which include 1 block(made up of 3 sets each about made up of about 200 cards) and 1 core set(also about 200 cards). Legacy includes all the cards in magic history(except for some restrictions or banned cards).

There's also Extended which is cards from the last 4 years, and limited which is cards from the most recent block only. I tend to play limited mostly which requires buying new cards almost to do what's called a booster draft.

Quote:
How do you keep track fo who is 'winning', your life, spells and what not?

You win when your opponent has 0 or less life or can no longer draw cards from their library. You keep track of your life total either with dice(such as a D20) or pen and paper, or however else you would like to. There's even an app for it. You have a library, which is your deck, and a graveyard. Spells that have been played and creatures that have died go to the graveyard.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of interested to try playing, even with just a lousy starter deck, it is my kind of game in some ways, granted, I like almost every game there is.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love magic hah. My friend from work last august was tryin to get me to play for about a year so i said why not, and did. Such a fun game.
I got like 10 current decks that I really like. My fav. is my Red/Green "troll" deck. I'm so happy someone finally made a magic thread, i was waitin for it.
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played a couple of hours worth of "Two-Headed Monster" today...We went 6-4..our losses came against double white soldier/kithikin vs. Call of the Wild/Thalid deck. We also stalemated a Zombie/Stasis decks vs. Elves/Elves.

Was very fun.
Then we tried some "hunter" magic and I won 2 of 3 with my mill deck. second and third turn Glimpse the unthinkable, 4th turn Isochron Scepter with Brain Freeze, 5th Jace (version 1) and double tome scour. 6th. Traumatize then finished with a vision charm. Was a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ 2HG is a lot of fun. I only play it at pre-releases though, never with constructed decks.

Anyone playing in Game Day this weekend? I threw together a mono-white quest deck for it, hopefully I can do well with it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skywindO2 wrote:
^ 2HG is a lot of fun. I only play it at pre-releases though, never with constructed decks.

Anyone playing in Game Day this weekend? I threw together a mono-white quest deck for it, hopefully I can do well with it.

Thinking of hitting up Friday night magic with a merfolk deck. Should be fun, I think they already have the rewards out for placing, and first gets a Foiled Baneslayer, Eldrazi Monument, and a few packs of Besiged? Could be wrong but thats they way they were talking.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tried Magic as none of my friends were ever into it, I know I'd have liked it as I loved Yugioh. In an attempt to out-nerd this thread I was the regional champion for under 16's for some time, but then whenever I played anyone who actually spent loads of money on it in the over 16's category I'd get destroyed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
skywindO2 wrote:

Thinking of hitting up Friday night magic with a merfolk deck. Should be fun, I think they already have the rewards out for placing, and first gets a Foiled Baneslayer, Eldrazi Monument, and a few packs of Besiged? Could be wrong but thats they way they were talking.

Those are sweet prizes. Did you win the Walletslayer? Wanna trade it? Razz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skywindO2 wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
skywindO2 wrote:

Those are sweet prizes. Did you win the Walletslayer? Wanna trade it? Razz

I did not win this week. Took 3rd and 5 packs of m11. Not a bad prize. Winner traded Baneslayer back into the store and put it down on a Booster Box. Do not know which one or what he pulled, I left before he opened it.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 3 of 30

Jump to: