You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Biggest Need?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roadrunner32

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Biggest Need? Reply with quote

What is the Chargers biggest need? who are they most likely going to draft with pick #19? What are the chances of getting Santonio Holmes?
CorpuscolAwesom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest need is definitely a playmaker in the secondary. Our current guys don't cover well and don't make big plays. Teams were able to convert 3rd and long pretty easily on us last year. The chances of being able to get Santonio Holmes are pretty good since he isn't good enough to get picked before we draft, but the actual chance of us drafting him is pretty low. This class doesn't have much in the way of good WRs.
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Biggest Need? Reply with quote

Roadrunner32 wrote:
What is the Chargers biggest need? who are they most likely going to draft with pick #19? What are the chances of getting Santonio Holmes?

Our biggest need is a O line and Safety. Our O-line stuck last year, pretty much everyone except Goff and Olivia needs to be upgraded (I will give Nick Hardwick another year though.) I think Oben showed he is getting to old, Dielman has the right attitude, but is not getting the job done, and Jordan was just plain awful at times.

Our Safetys were very weak. They are also a high priority. Jue was okay, but not a starter.

Unless we can get Scott or Justice first round, we go Safety (unless all 4 of the great ones are gone). If that happens i pray that we find a suiter to trade down with.

My board:

1st
OT (Scott, Justice,)
S (Williams, Bing, Simpson)

2nd
OT (Colledge, Trueblood, Winston)
G (Jean-Giles)
ILB ( Parham, Hodge)
S( Whitner, Watkins, maybe Blue)

3rd
OT (Stenavich, others depend on combine)
G(Lutui, Joseph)
ILB( Roach, Simon, possibly London (reach probably))
S (Harper is the only guy I can think of at this spot I would take that I didn't already list)
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have us picking Michael Huff, Darnell Bing, or Ko Simpson no one will be complaining.
PadsChargers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order of need:

S
OT
ILB
WR
zphogan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see our priorities as follows:

1. OT- draft someone who will immediately start on right side and eventually replace Oben on left.

2. SS/FS- definitely need a playmaker back there.

3. OG- we need a stronger push from our interior lineman to free LT up.

4. ILB- not a FA, someone drafted in 3rd or 4th round. If Parham slipped to 3rd round that would be beautiful. Cooper looks solid, but we need another young inside LB to understudy behind Edwards and Godfrey.

5. WR/PR- not necassarily a starter, but someone who could be a 4th or 5th WR. We want someone who could make an immediate impact as a punt returner (Devon Hester- WR/CB of U. of Miami, maybe in the 4th/5th round).

Shane Olivea is not a starting RT. He is way too slow with his feet laterally and consequently gets beat off the edge constantly. Goff, Hardwick, and Oben are starters. Roman is still a productive player that probably can squeeze out two more years of good play.

I think we will draft a tackle and safety in the first two rounds, than sign a free agent OG to come in and start. I also see them drafting a more offensive lineman with their multiple picks in the 6th and 7th rounds.
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys are forgetting conerbacks. I know thid draft isn't chalk full of them, but playmaking safeties aren't all we need. In my mind, getting a nickel corner this year in the second or third round, is WAY moe important than drafting an ILB. We can worry about that position next year.
PadsChargers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see them using a first day pick on a CB
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not? Are you saying the immediate need of a ILB or WR is more important than improving our pass defense?
PadsChargers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not going to be looking for a starter type of player, more of a nickel and dime guy. They're comfortable with Jammer and Florence starting and aren't quite ready to give up on Davis, who is the leading candidate to be their nickel back.. I think they are much more dissastisfied with the safety play.
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. If you read my second comment in this thread, I stated a solid nickel corner would be much more valuable than a backup ILB who is going to wait in the wings until 2007 at the earliest.
theone8082

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charger-man wrote:
If you have us picking Michael Huff, Darnell Bing, or Ko Simpson no one will be complaining.

Playmaker in the Secondary, ie. Someone who can create turnovers. Pass rush is there, coverage is not. Injuries killed the OLine last year, but depth is a concern, but there is no doubt that we would've been in the playoffs if our Secondary was on par with the front 7
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safety- Do we have anyone playing here?
Corners, see signature.
LB- Merrimen we need more, we need more sacks more fumbles, we need the big plays and some depth.
DL- Someone needs to step up into a pass rusher. Castillo, Olshansky, high draft picks but you guys need to step it up. Jamal...your perfect, don't change anything, well except next time catch the ball when you bat it up in the air.

Offensively
OL- Depth here never hurts, I blame last year on the change of coaching in the offensive line, he was fired. Two years ago we had a All-Pro Quality line, so I blame the drop off on the new coach.

QB- AJ just believe in Brees, peddle Rivers for what we can get and lets move on.

RB- I'm a doomsayer, if we don't win a SB in the next three years then we need to find a new RB. LT is spending more and more time being hurt. I guess thats what happens when you give a player 40 touches a game his first few years.

WR- Jackson, I need to see him on the field to judge him. He has the physical talents though. Caldwell is great for 1 play a game. I love Parker but his durability is terrible and he'll never be a number 1. Osgood, he's big and a hometown kid, but we need more then special teams greatness. Keenan will be back and is productive.

TE- No comment

Special Teams.

I'm happy here. Between Toto, Milligan, Osgood, Scifres and Kaeding, I think this is a strenght.
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
Safety- Do we have anyone playing here?
Corners, see signature.
LB- Merrimen we need more, we need more sacks more fumbles, we need the big plays and some depth.
DL- Someone needs to step up into a pass rusher. Castillo, Olshansky, high draft picks but you guys need to step it up. Jamal...your perfect, don't change anything, well except next time catch the ball when you bat it up in the air.

Offensively
OL- Depth here never hurts, I blame last year on the change of coaching in the offensive line, he was fired. Two years ago we had a All-Pro Quality line, so I blame the drop off on the new coach.

QB- AJ just believe in Brees, peddle Rivers for what we can get and lets move on.

RB- I'm a doomsayer, if we don't win a SB in the next three years then we need to find a new RB. LT is spending more and more time being hurt. I guess thats what happens when you give a player 40 touches a game his first few years.

WR- Jackson, I need to see him on the field to judge him. He has the physical talents though. Caldwell is great for 1 play a game. I love Parker but his durability is terrible and he'll never be a number 1. Osgood, he's big and a hometown kid, but we need more then special teams greatness. Keenan will be back and is productive.

TE- No comment

Special Teams.

I'm happy here. Between Toto, Milligan, Osgood, Scifres and Kaeding, I think this is a strenght.

Your joking, right?

Igor and Luis are 2 very productive 3-4 DEs. there job is not pass rushing, it is taking up 2 guys so Merriman/Foley/Philips can get to the QB. they are 2 wonderful DEs and will be on this team making plays for the next 10 season hopefully.

QB??? please explain that when we have a great starter and probably the best depth in the league at that position.

RB-Wow. Just wow. How could any Charger fan not love LT? Critiize him all you want, but he is the best back in the league. Period. Even injured he is top 5.

WR is also not a big need. We have 5 capacble guys already, and we should never have more than 3 on the field at any time.
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, we have the best backup in the league (Michael "the burner" Turner" and probably one of the best 3rd stringers (Darren Sproles). You are one ignorant person if you think RB is a position that needs improvement.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: